weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Shimmer - Great idea, a little dark but nice and sharp. maybe an off camera flash to emphasise the theme
Elements - Made me chuckle, great idea with wind ;) only criticism is its a little dark
Seasonal - Reshoot is much better, and the colour pop works in part apart from the pillar as its the part you would associate with being white im instantly drawn to its creamyness. the Red alone would have worked better for me, spot on theme though, and a great homage to our fallen.
Full - This is a great shot, the detail from front to back on the apples is stunning and and the colours are lovely and vibrant. DOF is great too. Light on this is much better and really complements your excellent composition. I would be super happy with this shot :)
Habit - Great plan, the matchstick as discussed is a nice little extra, the black background emphasises the smoke but it also plays funny buggers with my head, cool image.
Covered - the pegs are out again lol :) nice little dusting on those, perfect colour contrast and lovely and sharp where it needs to be :) can't fault it.

Last edited:
Blimey David, I'm well behind on your thread :(

Seasonal, you can tell by the colours that this is November and that this is a seasonal event. I like the composition but the red of the poppies is a little overpowering in that I can't make out and details. But if you were shooting in cloudy weather you wouldn't get any highlights/shadows.
Seasonal Reshoot appeals to me more and I like the way the wreaths have been scattered (even if you didn't do it :p)

Habit, great minds think alike :). I find the second cigarette a distraction and don't think it adds to the composition. When I saw this in the post your pics here it looked like 2 separate pics, one black, one white and I think this is because you lose the continuity of the smoke against the white background. Lobe the set up of the ashtray with the inclusion of the spent match (y)

Covered, I'd really do something about your peg habit :D Fun idea and I love it :clap::clap:

Hi David,

Habit: I really like the composition on this one. The black and white BG works really well to highlight the individual elements of the shot.
Re-shoot: Much better although I did rather like the tight crop of the first one too.
Covered: I wonder where the peg fetish comes from... :eek: :D Nice clean shot and, as others have said, spot on WB (y)

Covered: Super, and it made me laugh, keep it up!
Cheers BoB (y)

Shimmer - Great idea, a little dark but nice and sharp. maybe an off camera flash to emphasise the theme
Elements - Made me chuckle, great idea with wind ;) only criticism is its a little dark
Seasonal - Reshoot is much better, and the colour pop works in part apart from the pillar as its the part you would associate with being white im instantly drawn to its creamyness. the Red alone would have worked better for me, spot on theme though, and a great homage to our fallen.
Full - This is a great shot, the detail from front to back on the apples is stunning and and the colours are lovely and vibrant. DOF is great too. Light on this is much better and really complements your excellent composition. I would be super happy with this shot :)
Habit - Great plan, the matchstick as discussed is a nice little extra, the black background emphasises the smoke but it also plays funny buggers with my head, cool image.
Covered - the pegs are out again lol :) nice little dusting on those, perfect colour contrast and lovely and sharp where it needs to be :) can't fault it.
Thanks for all your comments nathan (y) ... interesting what you say about Season Reshoot, I'd thought I'd found an easier and better way of doing SC ... but not necessarily better.

Liking the pegs, colour on the pegs is great and stands out nicely against the snow.
Cheers Michael (y)

Blimey David, I'm well behind on your thread :(

Seasonal, you can tell by the colours that this is November and that this is a seasonal event. I like the composition but the red of the poppies is a little overpowering in that I can't make out and details. But if you were shooting in cloudy weather you wouldn't get any highlights/shadows.
Seasonal Reshoot appeals to me more and I like the way the wreaths have been scattered (even if you didn't do it :p)

Habit, great minds think alike :). I find the second cigarette a distraction and don't think it adds to the composition. When I saw this in the post your pics here it looked like 2 separate pics, one black, one white and I think this is because you lose the continuity of the smoke against the white background. Lobe the set up of the ashtray with the inclusion of the spent match (y)

Covered, I'd really do something about your peg habit :D Fun idea and I love it :clap::clap:
Blimey (y)

Awww it's the pegs again :) and looking good as ever. Great idea, really nicely done ....and I love the 'snow' :clap:
MWAH

I thought you were kidding when I read Brian's thread, evidently not ;)
That has come out really well, it's amazing what you can do with so little.
(y)
Thanks Tim

Hi David,

Habit: I really like the composition on this one. The black and white BG works really well to highlight the individual elements of the shot.
Re-shoot: Much better although I did rather like the tight crop of the first one too.
Covered: I wonder where the peg fetish comes from... :eek: :D Nice clean shot and, as others have said, spot on WB (y)
and thank you for your input Lee. (y)

Week 48 Connected

The London Underground. Millions connected everyday. (Hand held, 1/4 sec, ND filter)

3iC3hwoelJyC9un69wXKi8LPfzZQRik-xsTha-ib6VSc5HZ8EqgZLrZmMLkTyiipmMYEJr6eUCh32rO--trCdGoQtFU-dbKTlrOGSIMl27dq1-4KC3LxCkrJoi6rBDEVobbSg7XS40rFP0wu2m3PkQmZyUu22ID_7SR_Iabnnl-J_GPrDKzYJ2uDoi3WUthIA-qcTT3T8JheoyjfesQj83GGlBsqpvv3g02OWc3dqYYK-msMKYZ_X4rizVwK5cXIvcDekbpQXmNSVEroa3oAuBT7Ndrj6CE5LkRSCHlb42cTD2xO3FRXGQXfLBpDzZ3IvLiE-dp9SaOOCSEJhpvm_FhP1WzvWJF0NVP6zWnKBWlhKotqXskoWVYg36v-6roJfohux4s97FF3jYwdd_INLHPQhCeJplREMdkhh0hbkO3GnfzZ3nGXvCXXSfcYRYkTM_4Mrr3dk6ZtzPGqghRkC1CQOXSyvcTnK-sFm8UFWBqimUVRjxMBvJ3T3TRPbltSSAEy2frKY83w9epZNm1FSlVkgTb4IJr2-FYMv-U5ECI=w1479-h855-no

Brilliant fit for the theme David and Wow exceptional for a hand-held at that slow shutter speed. Like the movement blur but especially that you can see the sign through the speeding train. :clap:

Hand held?! :eek::eek: Oh you really made me envious, David!!! My hands always tremble and even with Canon's Image Stabilizer sometimes I still take blurred pictures :notworthy::notworthy: I wonder, if I may know, what camera did you use?

Amazing picture... Love the sign for sure :clap::clap:

Well caught, well framed, well done, Good idea for the theme

(Hand held, 1/4 sec, ND filter)
Show off :p
Actually it makes it even more special David (y)

I struggle to hand hold at 1/250 these days :D

Thanks guys ... sooo pleased you like it (y) Tis difficult dealing with artificial light and all those reflections. My aim was to get person/people standing still by the (contrasting) moving train, but they don't stand still plus the wind through the tunnel blurs their outline. Ended up with this people-less shot.

Re the camera ... yes my new Canon G7X, from the hip with screen tilted up. ND filter? it's just a setting/effect I selected, not sure it made a big difference in this situation.

Cheers. :beer:

Hi d00d, nothing to say about that but very good :clap: and hand held :jawdrop:

Great shot! Nice to get the Roundel in too. Nice, bold colours. The passage is a touch dark but it serves to lead the eye in to the train :clap:

David, you know it's a corker, so what can I tell you? - add my praise to the pile please - Ab So Lutely Su Perb! :clap:

Hi, great symmetry, well done for handheld, nice lighting nice, motion in the train go to see the sign through to the train. The the knock knock sign works well with the lady on the left.

cheers

Finally a decent subject from you @d00d ;)
Seriously though, that's really good, very impressive to hand hold that.
Must have been taken late at night (or early morning) to avoid commuters getting into the shot
HaHa yes trains can be quite photogenic! It was mid morning, I was hanging around for a while and found that half a dozen people at a time rushed to the platform, turned left or right and disappeared, lots of opportunities for a seemingly deserted station shot.

Hi d00d, nothing to say about that but very good :clap: and hand held :jawdrop:
(y)

Cool - nicely caught David :clap:

Nice alignment, symmetry and soooo good to be clear of people, the caught motion of the train with the logo through the window is icing on the cake, love it (y)
(y)

Great shot! Nice to get the Roundel in too. Nice, bold colours. The passage is a touch dark but it serves to lead the eye in to the train :clap:
(y)

David, you know it's a corker, so what can I tell you? - add my praise to the pile please - Ab So Lutely Su Perb! :clap:
blimey! :kiss:

Hi, great symmetry, well done for handheld, nice lighting nice, motion in the train go to see the sign through to the train. The the knock knock sign works well with the lady on the left.

cheers
cheers mate.

I wanted to do an escalator shot and planned to get a ground level rear view of someone disappearing down out of sight. It didn't come to fruition, tho I still like the idea. I came away with this, SOOC with a crop [the plasticy look is not my doing]. And I do believe you can see the reflection of the togger who's halfway up a staircase on the other side of the shop's entrance hall.

Week 49 Down

Tzh94yILyKtcYryfBpQfkqN2Z9PvBAUciTusfvJN9oF9d2jmtzJnCauQtv7tI-6SD6fKmHTS-K-8HR6CMK_Y41ihFzL1s_dRVjAUTS5MEg3u9cMl3dZNNrOU_1TgC5UxUkk7ZYRe2jaLmyB76TQgU55owBhI0dfxzsfDHpHeLh9DzVd5Fz_O7AdiI_QhEwwdFxBa94HrWexks6rvEp8JGpugBMDo16UTOxVxCtuCExF8kgs8zFPL3wNQGe7H0geuznG9jQ0Ay-cHjUyV-I3_UjaJba1k16BRJZxZY7hRvSTtAsSZhrnF8HO_Yhl6PGjsCbeEvXa4OmxpWwKyfvc6VExZQKHYdMazXciyYqI5HGAjYYKg_hmOM4c7UK_-Tx1bQCFaP04GUuj4O84xa-Xkq70h5PkO9J03-YuhIfCKtfRYtASxEPbJkIf4X39t4HRrNhvApg3PvD4PB5FYWTdc0_HfO2sxy6RDZVIUWQ8cH51AVCI2xS80LYoVqJPM7Lyid-45TKOL7wRf_PfyOAS1csXecoChK8gRv4u4fPZQkg8=w1029-h870-no

Last edited:
Brilliant composition David, specifically the diagonal bands of colour. Nice bit of candid photography - love the (almost dazed) expression you've captured. :clap:

If they are unknown, to you, you are a lot braver than I :)
Nicely captured and yes I can see the "ghost in the machine" :D

Popular choice this week and each very different.

It has a really Martin Parr feel to put with the vivid colours.

And, yes...I can see you!!!!

:)

Cheers.

Cooeeee, I can see you, but they can't!

Nice choice of bg and very well composed, looks kind of surreal, I like it a lot.

You're on a roll!

Brilliant composition David, specifically the diagonal bands of colour. Nice bit of candid photography - love the (almost dazed) expression you've captured. :clap:
Thanks Carl ... not everyone approves of this sort of candid stuff but no complaints so far.

If they are unknown, to you, you are a lot braver than I :)
Nicely captured and yes I can see the "ghost in the machine" :D
Yes tigers and poisonous snakes are child's play.

Popular choice this week and each very different.

It has a really Martin Parr feel to put with the vivid colours.

And, yes...I can see you!!!!

:)

Cheers.
So I've googled Martin Parr ... candid with colour ... yes. :)

Hi d00d love this ....it's that blue background, it gives it a very surreal feel.....it looks if it's the sky, excellent composition, I'm looking and learning ....I hope :)
Thanks susie ... the blue sky BG is a massive Snoopy Charlie Brown movie promo. I had to catch these people at a point where there was no writing.

Another excellent submission from yourself, nicely composed :clap:
Thank you Allan

Cooeeee, I can see you, but they can't!

Nice choice of bg and very well composed, looks kind of surreal, I like it a lot.

You're on a roll!
cheers Brian ... yes that must be me. I looks like I'm right there looking up, but I'm half a mile away on the same level.

Amazing photo, David... Composition, colours, movement, everything is just perfect! :clap::clap::clap: Hope I can be as good as you are one day :notworthy::notworthy:
Thanks Nora ... if you're not as good as me already you soon will be, you're in the right place where you're getting much & varied experience every week.

Last edited:
If you don't object horribly David I'll start with Envy.....

ENVY....There are 2 things I envy to a greater or lesser degree in the magazine shot...
1. Top Right hand corner of the shot you can just see (by the guy holding the helmet) the tank, cylinder head and Oil tank of a BSA Victor, would like to have one of those again!
2. The young lady looks very nice ;)
Pet Hate! Football and Overpaid footballers:mad:
It's shot No1 for me think the angle of the Mag works well!
No2 while being colourful is eclipsed by No1, think the focus is starting to peg out toward the RH side.

INVERTED .... I like the isolation of this shot. The DOF really works well here Like this shot Cleverly thought out and shot and fairly even lighting(y)

SHIMMER... That's a cracker David love it brilliantly thought out too, everyone has mentioned its a bit under so that's as read, just needs a tickle;)

ELEMENTS .... Right up my street! Wind, Fire great stuff, another tickle up and its cooking!

SEASONAL.... I love this shot, I think its great! Spot on composition, beautiful colour The checkerboard background, with a great DOF and the autumn leaves in the background. Well shot Indeed!
Seasonal 2 this is quite poignant and close to a lot of peoples heart(y)
Seasonal 3 reshoot... bit of colour popping there... I imagine the wreaths have been blown around they are remarkably light most of them. Hope you reassembled them;) like this shot too(y) Think the B&W helps top loose the shops buildings left and right.

COVERED ..... Yes you seem to have a bit od a Peg fetish don't you.... Any Gypsy blood in you per chance? Wondered if it was soap powder (the pseudo snow) Nice Crisp shot, think the DOF is just a tad tight. Nice Work!

CONNECTED .... This is another I really like! Think that movement in the train is Bang On! and the sign Bond Street viewed through the windows, a brilliant shot IMHO, Hand Held exceptionally well done(y)

DOWN .... works well, strong diagonals always seem to work don't they! Think the position of the people is good. Nice Selfie;)

I think I can forgive yet another escalator shot... As there are some great colours and the shot has a strong focus point.
:clap:
(y)

If you don't object horribly David I'll start with Envy.....

ENVY....There are 2 things I envy to a greater or lesser degree in the magazine shot...
1. Top Right hand corner of the shot you can just see (by the guy holding the helmet) the tank, cylinder head and Oil tank of a BSA Victor, would like to have one of those again!
2. The young lady looks very nice ;)
Pet Hate! Football and Overpaid footballers:mad:
It's shot No1 for me think the angle of the Mag works well!
No2 while being colourful is eclipsed by No1, think the focus is starting to peg out toward the RH side.

INVERTED .... I like the isolation of this shot. The DOF really works well here Like this shot Cleverly thought out and shot and fairly even lighting(y)

SHIMMER... That's a cracker David love it brilliantly thought out too, everyone has mentioned its a bit under so that's as read, just needs a tickle;)

ELEMENTS .... Right up my street! Wind, Fire great stuff, another tickle up and its cooking!

SEASONAL.... I love this shot, I think its great! Spot on composition, beautiful colour The checkerboard background, with a great DOF and the autumn leaves in the background. Well shot Indeed!
Seasonal 2 this is quite poignant and close to a lot of peoples heart(y)
Seasonal 3 reshoot... bit of colour popping there... I imagine the wreaths have been blown around they are remarkably light most of them. Hope you reassembled them;) like this shot too(y) Think the B&W helps top loose the shops buildings left and right.

COVERED ..... Yes you seem to have a bit od a Peg fetish don't you.... Any Gypsy blood in you per chance? Wondered if it was soap powder (the pseudo snow) Nice Crisp shot, think the DOF is just a tad tight. Nice Work!

CONNECTED .... This is another I really like! Think that movement in the train is Bang On! and the sign Bond Street viewed through the windows, a brilliant shot IMHO, Hand Held exceptionally well done(y)

DOWN .... works well, strong diagonals always seem to work don't they! Think the position of the people is good. Nice Selfie;)
Thanks for the great feedback Steve (y)

Re Covered ... the pseudo snow is plain flour though a sieve. :)

Another cracking shot David. I really like the pastel look and the sets of parallel lines. Great expressions too :clap:
(y)

Oooo love the escalator shot David, perfect composition and really like the red, white and blue diagonal bands (y)
(y)

Week 50 is where my year ends, I'm off to Portugal in a couple of days, back in 2016:D. I will be looking in when I get the chance and hope to get 51 & 52 when out there, but they won't get uploaded till the New Year. :kiss: Boas Festas :kiss:

Our favourite wine Porta da Ravessa, from a good dealer locally .... a few corks found lying around got Organised today ... cheers

Week 50 Organised
HJKVNsCGO6QnECfyclfY5h2LAG923lHrEqrLdcJiCbQ90enqrnC9sr6XyYi3cKYwTAOhV5DfGNI60DHXkiA2YLI9QDnJ2n-h4SAI5OmRITGxja8Y_FmI1BXAcCGo37KLGEWB_92hZIiHvrOuy1bgVd5njmOiFZpXrTkZbPT1Uk3YIaFw8j9uu36SyAsnXj9PYSouehFsu2zQzTkRbwnLAxyQlyIEgtyoB0iz_JdIOuGaV6bgYzMVeXBJYIDjdueKjuTxTRifuJA31oFKsdmP42SpSDvEMhaBzOey7qXcCa08pG--PqnrwmWQH7Ka3IOCTdxgCmK4K3_SQ5mIV1j-il9gvHnriKYpY9gLtaHn761nR2HazdHRphqd01ILUwSGfBWOU9d5l4dXsjjmBukIayk8tZ78IQ4h4DLqa6s1q-El51UgRSICbb5weRsFx0ArCNEfCSfiN7sISmsaXHmEBTY8olHh60w-C8FtoGEc-E3zHEOu0CPphzEj25TSi0oc0_YaHuPOZPZPsp5ZEagG88dKnBED4y0YKzD0MKAdE3f03TsgglYtCovFrv1ewPq5wplw=w1305-h870-no

Last edited:
Back