weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

lol, like Susie said, I am typing this on the alphabet machine and never even thought about it :clap: very clever way to avoid reflections - that's going in my notebook :) however have to agree with Allen that the angle doesn't do it for me

I like the edit. I looked in at the first shot before it was up, and while it's nicely shot I struggled for a focal point. The simple edit makes a world of difference.

I'm with Nick on the edit for alphabet (y)

Alphabet: The first is a picture of a keyboard, the second is an interesting picture of a keyboard; you may infer which I prefer.

Hi David,

Your machine submission is wonderful. I cant explain why, but the way the light falls over the object just fascinates me. Great work :)

The lit up keyboard image wins it for me, its much more apparent to what the image is trying to portray.

Like your edited version better of the 2 although there was nothing wrong with the first and quite like the angle you have gone with (y)

Hi David :)

Machine - A couple of nice shots here, for me I prefer the really bold Red second one, the inclusion of the bolts as a whole really help the shot for me, loving the flaky/greasy paint too (y)

Alphabet - A nice simple idea, it was certainly lost until you detailed the letters in green for me, but not so keen on the angle(don't think the clipped 'Esc' helps).... again the green does help a tad to take your eyes away from it and the small backgrounds Black is nice and clean :)

lol, like Susie said, I am typing this on the alphabet machine and never even thought about it :clap: very clever way to avoid reflections - that's going in my notebook :) however have to agree with Allen that the angle doesn't do it for me

I like the edit. I looked in at the first shot before it was up, and while it's nicely shot I struggled for a focal point. The simple edit makes a world of difference.

I'm with Nick on the edit for alphabet (y)

I really like the edited alphabet shot as well, makes a big difference to it.

Alphabet: The first is a picture of a keyboard, the second is an interesting picture of a keyboard; you may infer which I prefer.

Hi David,

Your machine submission is wonderful. I cant explain why, but the way the light falls over the object just fascinates me. Great work :)

The lit up keyboard image wins it for me, its much more apparent to what the image is trying to portray.

Hi David - version #2 of the keyboard for me and I like the perspective.

I might have been tempted to just include the letters for Alphabet :)

I like the funky composition and prefer the B&W.

Cheers.

Like your edited version better of the 2 although there was nothing wrong with the first and quite like the angle you have gone with (y)

Hi David :)

Machine - A couple of nice shots here, for me I prefer the really bold Red second one, the inclusion of the bolts as a whole really help the shot for me, loving the flaky/greasy paint too (y)

Alphabet - A nice simple idea, it was certainly lost until you detailed the letters in green for me, but not so keen on the angle(don't think the clipped 'Esc' helps).... again the green does help a tad to take your eyes away from it and the small backgrounds Black is nice and clean :)

Thank you (y)

The funky composition as @posiview calls it is do by shooting portrait orientation then rotating 90*

Week 15 Sound ... two this week as I had two different ideas. Firstly, I thought this is a great excuse to go out and shoot buskers, found a good one yesterday in Covent Garden, I like the pic but had to crop-to-zoom a lot because I had the wrong lens with me. Secondly, the idea of TV remote hit me, spent some time making it look clean in PP but now I think it may be a bit flat. I did try different POVs but couldn't see the Sound buttons clearly.

Heavenly Sound
15.sound.jpg

Remote Sound

15.sound2.jpg

Thanks Isabelle ... the problem is I foolishly went out with my new 12-28 mm, bought the day before, and so had to crop THIS

Hi David,

I prefer the first shot of the two. That was some crop you did, and a good way to try out your new lens :)

Hi d00d ...yes it does look a bit out of focus :) not often I can say that to you :D

I actually like the original shot, I think it has a lot more atmosphere, did you not get chance for a better angle so you could get them all in. I do like the idea though, excellent for the theme.

Hi David

Sound.....that's one mahooosive crop.......I'd probably have left the other musicians in but it still works , the slight oofness orks as a bit of motion blur as I suspect he was moving in timeto the music(y)

Alphabet.....liking your crop with the illuminated keys & oddly...I like the angle (y)

Hi David
Just on a big catch up round!
Mouth ... My initial thought was the same and was going to shoot the Mouth of the Grand Union Canal into the Thames at Brentford (as its directly behind where I work) but it wasn't very inspiring other than the Thames Lock.
Like your shot, I think that Blue of the bridge is a nice Colour anchor against the rest of the shot, Nice light on the wall and muddy bottom! Always makes me wonder what's down in all that mud! bet theres stuff down there that could tell some stories!!
Crowd ... Love this shot, Really impressed with it especially as it was hand held too! Think its level if you look at the verticals... Well shot Fits the theme well, Nice bright colours too, I like this(y).

Close Up ... Nice close up shot there. I think the lighting is great. Nice spotlight right on the button ... I mean zip! Just looked at the SOOC and that excellent work using a torch for the lighting. Square crop with spot on DOF looks great to me.

Machine ... Cracking Lovely great big armature, and nice commutator ring fair bit of copper there!! It always amazes me how they made those large machines back then, I guess the tolerances weren't that critical! Great lighting in this shot very subtle(y)
Bit of a Beast of a tractor then... The Russians like there big odd machines don't they, looks like some serious power being used there! Like both the shots I think I like No1 best (just as its electrically related) Lighting in both is nice. Good Stuff.

Alphabet ... Great interpretation! cant believe I use a keyboard all day and couldn't think of any thing alphabet related:rolleyes: Fits the theme well, cant decide which version I like best, Green or not so green that is the question? Think its Green, highlights the letters well against the subtle background and lighting.

Sound ... I think that was a apt test for your lens;) That's when you can tell how good your Lens and Camera is! that was a fair old crop then... I think you have done a great job of processing the shot, looks like he is serenading someone on a balcony. Works well.
Sound Remote ... TP52 makes you do things you would not have necessarily done before.... Like clean the remote :). Clear, simple, sharp and works.
I think the musician takes it here though...

Nice work David
Nice lighting and tastefully done! Good Work!

David 2 nice ideas for sound #2 nicks it for me clean and simple but bang on theme (y)

Hi David,

I prefer the first shot of the two. That was some crop you did, and a good way to try out your new lens :)

Thanks Lorraine ... But I'll take my 18-200 next time.

I like both but thought 2 may be more apt for the theme.
Thanks Stan

Hi d00d ...yes it does look a bit out of focus :) not often I can say that to you :D

I actually like the original shot, I think it has a lot more atmosphere, did you not get chance for a better angle so you could get them all in. I do like the idea though, excellent for the theme.
Thanks Susie ... I thought the original shot looked a bit of a mess.

Hi David

Sound.....that's one mahooosive crop.......I'd probably have left the other musicians in but it still works , the slight oofness orks as a bit of motion blur as I suspect he was moving in timeto the music(y)

Alphabet.....liking your crop with the illuminated keys & oddly...I like the angle (y)
Thanks Lynne .. yes (Sound) we'll call it motion blur. And I'm pleased to hear you like Alphabet and the angle.

Hi David
Just on a big catch up round!
Mouth ... My initial thought was the same and was going to shoot the Mouth of the Grand Union Canal into the Thames at Brentford (as its directly behind where I work) but it wasn't very inspiring other than the Thames Lock.
Like your shot, I think that Blue of the bridge is a nice Colour anchor against the rest of the shot, Nice light on the wall and muddy bottom! Always makes me wonder what's down in all that mud! bet theres stuff down there that could tell some stories!!
Crowd ... Love this shot, Really impressed with it especially as it was hand held too! Think its level if you look at the verticals... Well shot Fits the theme well, Nice bright colours too, I like this(y).

Close Up ... Nice close up shot there. I think the lighting is great. Nice spotlight right on the button ... I mean zip! Just looked at the SOOC and that excellent work using a torch for the lighting. Square crop with spot on DOF looks great to me.

Machine ... Cracking Lovely great big armature, and nice commutator ring fair bit of copper there!! It always amazes me how they made those large machines back then, I guess the tolerances weren't that critical! Great lighting in this shot very subtle(y)
Bit of a Beast of a tractor then... The Russians like there big odd machines don't they, looks like some serious power being used there! Like both the shots I think I like No1 best (just as its electrically related) Lighting in both is nice. Good Stuff.

Alphabet ... Great interpretation! cant believe I use a keyboard all day and couldn't think of any thing alphabet related:rolleyes: Fits the theme well, cant decide which version I like best, Green or not so green that is the question? Think its Green, highlights the letters well against the subtle background and lighting.

Sound ... I think that was a apt test for your lens;) That's when you can tell how good your Lens and Camera is! that was a fair old crop then... I think you have done a great job of processing the shot, looks like he is serenading someone on a balcony. Works well.
Sound Remote ... TP52 makes you do things you would not have necessarily done before.... Like clean the remote :). Clear, simple, sharp and works.
I think the musician takes it here though...

Nice work David
Nice lighting and tastefully done! Good Work!

Thank you Steve for your big catch up ... your kind yet constructive comments. (y)

WEEK 16 EXPERIMENT ... while the rest of you have been doing some serious experimenting, I've been playing pretend experiments.

16.experiment.jpg

Really like it.

Wonderfully creative and thought out. For me, the right hand image would work absolutely fine on its own. Bags of character and very amusing.

I'm not 100% sold on the diptych presentation. That's probably because I don't see how the left hand image adds anything to the one on the right. For me, the right hand one says it all. It could probably do with a bit more space around your scientist model and maybe keep the top of the jar? I actually like the green border to match the beans. It's probably a bit thick (just like me) for my tastes but all of this is personal preference. Lighting and choice of DoF work very well - especially on the RH image.

As an idea though? Brilliant.

Hi d00d, as said above the right hand image works well enough to stand on its own, those crazy glasses are very amusing

Hi David, great idea, and those glasses are very mad scientist! :clap: I have to agree that the second shot works as a stand alone

:plus1: on the right image, damn good glasses.

Sound #1 is a more interesting shot for me, if only it was crisp. I quite like the expression and the upward look. You got caught out, it happens. There are two kinds of photographers, those who've been caught out with the wrong lens on... and liars! :D

Experiment - As others have said, the right hand panel is strong enough to stand alone I reckon. There's nothing wrong with the left hand shot at all, but it's not necessary here.

ohh I like the right hand one best because you have funny eyes and the glove is more in shot making it a lovely fun picture :clap:

Two great images, but I agree with other comments that the second one is good enough to stand alone. Love the glasses and I used to have one of those Paul Masson wine carafes on my kitchen windowsill with flowers in it years ago (y)

Really like it.

Wonderfully creative and thought out. For me, the right hand image would work absolutely fine on its own. Bags of character and very amusing.

I'm not 100% sold on the diptych presentation. That's probably because I don't see how the left hand image adds anything to the one on the right. For me, the right hand one says it all. It could probably do with a bit more space around your scientist model and maybe keep the top of the jar? I actually like the green border to match the beans. It's probably a bit thick (just like me) for my tastes but all of this is personal preference. Lighting and choice of DoF work very well - especially on the RH image.

As an idea though? Brilliant.

Hi d00d, as said above the right hand image works well enough to stand on its own, those crazy glasses are very amusing

Hi David, great idea, and those glasses are very mad scientist! :clap: I have to agree that the second shot works as a stand alone

:plus1: on the right image, damn good glasses.

ohh I like the right hand one best because you have funny eyes and the glove is more in shot making it a lovely fun picture :clap:

Experiment - As others have said, the right hand panel is strong enough to stand alone I reckon. There's nothing wrong with the left hand shot at all, but it's not necessary here.

Cracking idea, I do like the 2 pics together, but the 2nd picwould be great on its own, made me smile and certainly works well.

Two great images, but I agree with other comments that the second one is good enough to stand alone. Love the glasses and I used to have one of those Paul Masson wine carafes on my kitchen windowsill with flowers in it years ago (y)

#2 for me as well David - it's a cracking shot for Experiment (y)

Unanimous then ... right-hand pic is all that's needed. The right-hand pic was the one I'd had planned for three days, but once shot, I wasn't quite sure I'd successfully pulled off the mad scientist thing, plus I wasn't sure about those green stones, my original idea was for a suspended blob of ketchup! Whilst still in Marigold, the left-hand pic was done to try and support the Experiment theme, then, for the first time I did a diptych.

Thanks all for your input. (y)

Sound #1 is a more interesting shot for me, if only it was crisp. I quite like the expression and the upward look. You got caught out, it happens. There are two kinds of photographers, those who've been caught out with the wrong lens on... and liars! :D
Thanks Nick. Don't know if you know that place ... in Covent Garden, down in a basement area ... he's looking up at the audience.

Last edited:
RESHOOT Sound #1

Back in Covent Garden, same spot, different violinist, different camera lens ....

15.reshoot1.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't quite sure I'd successfully pulled off the mad scientist thing, plus I wasn't sure about those green stones, my original idea was for a suspended blob of ketchup!

Green stones? In my head they were magic beans! - Go go scientist Jack :)

Reminds me of a scene out of Breaking Bad :)

Nice idea if not a bit sinister.

Looks a little dark and I thought you were wearing your PJs for a moment ;)

Cheers.

Oh, reshoot, much better.

Hi David

great idea for the Experiment theme.....& much as I love those glasses it's the lefthand shot that gets my vote, like the framing ,the yellow of the gloves contrasting against the blue glass & those green stones ( though I too thought they were beans !):clap:

Back