weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

#1 for me definitely, not sure why. The contrasting colors and the distance from the subject, just a really interesting photo!

I think 2 fits the theme best it is strong and I like the shape. But of the other 2 I prefer 3 although much as I like seals the one in the back ground doesn't add to it unfortunately.

Nice use of complimentary colours colours in #1 DK, but I'm a sucker for shallow D0F shots and the texture of the rusty metal on the gates is really strong. Not really feeling the love for the Seal shot though.
So #2 for me.
Thanks Tim :)

I'm not surprised with the seal shot, I think it needed to be more in focus....

Hi, Dean, #1 for me, by a long way.
Thanks Andy :)

#2 has a distracting BG and my eyes can't seem to rest anywhere in #3.
Certainly plenty of colour mate :D

#1 had a dreamy feel about it. The red really pops out and I sense not much PPing has been done, which is always good. I'd like to see a longer exposure to get some movement into the grass and clouds to really make the red thingy pop more.

Good show.

Cheers.
Thanks again Andy :)

You are correct, not much PP at all, I did try to increase the saturation and a small dodge to the red thing, but all tweaks made it look false and not right in it's location, so undid all that so 'as is' even though odd I feel it looks in place, it has weathered nicely :)

LOVE your idea of a long exposure of it... I'll have to make sure I do that, adding to my new 're-visit' OneNote (y)

HI DK. I too like #1 - not because it screams Metal, which #2 does most effectively of course, but because of it is a complete photograph in the sense that it has a specific point of interest, complimentary colours interacting and lovely details that occupies a viewers eyes. Spot on :clap:
Thanks Carl :)

I did keep moving to ensure I got as much vivid colour in the background as possible :)

#1 for me, too. I love the way the soft tones and textures of the dunes contrast with the red 'thingy' and I found myself asking questions about what it is and how it got there. Great shot!
Thanks Emma :)

I guess it has been there a good long while... also think it must go in the sand quite a long way too :thinking:

I like 1 & 2, with 2 being my favourite.

Lots of detail captured and I like how the background changes at the join of the gate.
Thank you Paul :)

Hi Dk, No1 for me I like the random piece of metal in the sand it makes me wonder why its there, well spotted
Cheers Allan :)

Another vote for number 1. Has a surreal vibe to it and the red box placed on the third works wonders here
Thanks Jason :)

The thirds was a bit of a tie... I wanted more sea in the image but felt the thirds was more needed (I'd need steps to get more sea in too :D)

Number 1 for me too DK - lovely colours and tones and not an obvious a subject matter

I like number 2 but number 1, for me, is an all round better image :)
Thanks a lot Jon :)

#1 for me definitely, not sure why. The contrasting colors and the distance from the subject, just a really interesting photo!
Thank you Sam :)

I think 2 fits the theme best it is strong and I like the shape. But of the other 2 I prefer 3 although much as I like seals the one in the back ground doesn't add to it unfortunately.
Thank you minx :)

I agree about the seal... other than filling open space it does nothing :)

Really like these sort of random shots.
#1 there is some interesting complimenting colour, i think a different angle to the right would give pic more balance, could you have brought sea in pic, just a thought,
#2 imho would have been nice to see more of gate, leading to the rust as a focal point, sort of out of focus, then in focus on rust,
#3like the rust and randomness of this, especially with seal in BG:)

Really like these sort of random shots.
Thank you Walter :)
#1 there is some interesting complimenting colour, i think a different angle to the right would give pic more balance, could you have brought sea in pic, just a thought,
Thanks again... I will have a bit more time when I next visit to see what other compositions work :)
#2 imho would have been nice to see more of gate, leading to the rust as a focal point, sort of out of focus, then in focus on rust,
I may try a re-crop later and see how that looks, thanks for the suggestion :)
#3like the rust and randomness of this, especially with seal in BG:)
Annnnd thank you again (y)

Hi DK ...I think I'm in the #1 camp ....there's something very eye catching about that shot, what a great find for the theme, smashing composition. I like the find of your initials in #2 and that one fits the theme really well too. I think the last one really needs to be cropped, it's a shame to lose the seal but I think it distracts rather than adds to it. Looks as if you had a really profitable trip out with your camera :)

First shot for me. Would like to have seen the bouy pop a little more, which is ironic since I shied away from doing the very same in my submission :)

I love #1.
I think the strong colour and right angles of the red beacon (or whatever it is) in the dunes makes a really strong image

Number 1 for me but just by a smidge, I love seascape pictures and that blaze of red is fab, well spotted mate and you even managed a blue sky :D

Love the detail on the rusty gate and spot on dof for me (y)

That beach looks like a dangerous place to be, with all that rusty stuff laying about :D

Last one for me Dean, I love the "thoughtful" OoF seal (y)

Great shots Dean, I prefer the first thats in the image thread, I like the framing as it feels like you ahve just approached from a walk to the beach. The red really makes this pop from the screen. Good luck completing you 52

Hi DK, I like all three submissions for "Metal". I think number 2 just takes it though. Great details and composition :)

Number 2 for me, nice colours. Is that a seal in 3?
Thank you Clive :) -

Correct, that is a seal :)

Hi DK ...I think I'm in the #1 camp ....there's something very eye catching about that shot, what a great find for the theme, smashing composition. I like the find of your initials in #2 and that one fits the theme really well too.
Thanks Susie :)

I think the last one really needs to be cropped, it's a shame to lose the seal but I think it distracts rather than adds to it. Looks as if you had a really profitable trip out with your camera :)
Thanks again Susie... infact I took a couple with no seal in that I forgot about, may put one up later in the week :)

And yes, it was a great day actually :)

First shot for me. Would like to have seen the bouy pop a little more, which is ironic since I shied away from doing the very same in my submission :)
Thank you Ian :)

I did try and enhanse the red, but it looked too false, so reverted back to as shot colours :)

First rate, as always.
Thanks Davids :cool:

Love #1 of the three. Like the oddity of it, the red amount the green, man made object amount the natural surrounding and metal amount grass etc. Good composition and focus too.
Cool - Thanks Stan :)

The only thing is the horizon is a tack wonky. ;)
:eek: :exit:

:D

I love #1.
I think the strong colour and right angles of the red beacon (or whatever it is) in the dunes makes a really strong image
Thank you Colm :)

Agree I couldn't have found a better colour object in the setting :)

Number 1 for me but just by a smidge, I love seascape pictures and that blaze of red is fab, well spotted mate and you even managed a blue sky :D
Thanks Jill :)

We were VERY blessed with the weather for our walk, the light was fantastic for January :)

Love the detail on the rusty gate and spot on dof for me (y)
Thank you again, lots :)

That beach looks like a dangerous place to be, with all that rusty stuff laying about :D
You aint kidding, with all them wild animals about :runaway:

Last one for me Dean, I love the "thoughtful" OoF seal (y)
YAY !!! it got a vote :D

Great shots Dean, I prefer the first thats in the image thread, I like the framing as it feels like you ahve just approached from a walk to the beach. The red really makes this pop from the screen. Good luck completing you 52
Thank you Lee, appreciated (y)

Love 1st one - excellent composition and colours - beautiful shot. Number 2 is a winner for the theme - both great photos

No.1 for me Sir...love how the red stands out from the dunes and grasses. Nice capture of the grasses swaying in the breeze as well, which is what really makes the photo for me. (breeze? looks windy as hell!). Could the horizon have come down a little at expense of some of the foreground? You would have lost the effect of the clump of grasses on the left perhaps, so don't know if it would have enhanced anything as it's a nice capture as is.

Best,
David

# 1. The red thing pops out. Great colourson the grass - super contrast

Catching up on my commenting

Old - Really like this, love the narrow DOF and the label stands out nicely against the black of the record and arm.
Metal - #1 just edges it for me, the colours and light are lovely. #2 is my kind of shot and the DOF is spot on, a slight shame that the green background is broken by the light fence. Not sure what it is about #3 that doesn't quite work for me, I like the seal in the picture to highlight the contrast between man made rubbish and nature but not sure it works as it is.

The 78rpm record is a great choice for 'old' making me feel quite nostalgic :) The first one for 'metal' stands out for me with the red contrast - great.

#1 for me, too. I love the way the soft tones and textures of the dunes contrast with the red 'thingy' and I found myself asking questions about what it is and how it got there. Great shot!
Emja says it all for me

Yo DK

Old ... not sure the shallow dof works for me TBH unless, as already suggested, you're trying to hide something. :exit:Nice idea.

Metal ... love that red thing in the dunes. (y)

No.1 for me Sir...love how the red stands out from the dunes and grasses. Nice capture of the grasses swaying in the breeze as well, which is what really makes the photo for me. (breeze? looks windy as hell!). Could the horizon have come down a little at expense of some of the foreground? You would have lost the effect of the clump of grasses on the left perhaps, so don't know if it would have enhanced anything as it's a nice capture as is.

Best,
David
Thank you David :)

Hmmmm to be honest now I can't recall, I think I kept it low as there was too big a stretch of sand, and the red thing was being pushed down the frame :thinking:

# 1. The red thing pops out. Great colourson the grass - super contrast
Thank you Carl :)

Catching up on my commenting
I know the feeling :D

Old - Really like this, love the narrow DOF and the label stands out nicely against the black of the record and arm.
Thank you Steve :)
Metal - #1 just edges it for me, the colours and light are lovely. #2 is my kind of shot and the DOF is spot on, a slight shame that the green background is broken by the light fence. Not sure what it is about #3 that doesn't quite work for me, I like the seal in the picture to highlight the contrast between man made rubbish and nature but not sure it works as it is.
Thank you again... I'd also have liked green all the way behind the gate, would have looked much better :) - Last one... I didn't think it would get many votes - and for a change I was right ::lol

DK I am loving the record (y) For me the 1st metal photo stands out as the best, the bright red object contrasting nicely :)
Thank You Ruth :)

The 78rpm record is a great choice for 'old' making me feel quite nostalgic :) The first one for 'metal' stands out for me with the red contrast - great.
Cool - Thank you Liz :)

Metal 2 for me DK, has something about it, not sure what
Cheers Lee :)

Emja says it all for me
thank you too then :)

Hey David

Old ... not sure the shallow dof works for me TBH unless, as already suggested, you're trying to hide something. :exit:Nice idea.
No worries :) - nothing to hide no, I wanted the arm coming in from the top corner, light/shine coming in from bottom left corner, Centre circle bit around the label full/un-clipped within the frame, letterbox crop again keeping the shadow of the arm full/un-clipped, tight focus on the speed...

Metal ... love that red thing in the dunes. (y)
Thanks mate :thumbs

It's the buoy for me. Probably marks the sand bank in high tides... A nice little landscape seascape seaside scene there dean and the red draws the eye making it the focal point and bang on for the theme. More like this please matey! :clap:

First shot for me - like the juxtaposition of colour and texture. Neatly framed and observed.

The other two shots hit the theme too; liking the colours, shape and textures in the gate especially.

Looking forward to seeing your next 51 shots.

Hi, Dean... Starting strong this year. Sorry, still trying to catch up on my comments :D

Old: I love the DoF here and how you blurred the hand. Spot on theme and close up photos are my favourite (y)

Metal: For me it's #1 composition wise, although I also love #2 for the entry. But #1 is eye catching and easily be on display on a portfolio for a pro.
For #3 the seal is a bit distracting, but I would love to see the seal on its own frame ;)

It's the buoy for me. Probably marks the sand bank in high tides...
Ahhhhhhh good thinking that man !!!!

A nice little landscape seascape seaside scene there dean and the red draws the eye making it the focal point and bang on for the theme. More like this please matey! :clap:
Thanks Brian... I sure hope I can (y)

First shot for me - like the juxtaposition of colour and texture. Neatly framed and observed.
Cheers Simon :)

The other two shots hit the theme too; liking the colours, shape and textures in the gate especially.

Looking forward to seeing your next 51 shots.
Thanks again :)

Hi, Dean... Starting strong this year. Sorry, still trying to catch up on my comments :D
Thanks... and I know the feeling , it's always manic at the start of the year, and likely impossible to keep up with comments :)

Old: I love the DoF here and how you blurred the hand. Spot on theme and close up photos are my favourite (y)
Thank you Nora :)

Metal: For me it's #1 composition wise, although I also love #2 for the entry. But #1 is eye catching and easily be on display on a portfolio for a pro.
Blimey - Thank you :cool: :)
For #3 the seal is a bit distracting, but I would love to see the seal on its own frame ;)
I think you are correct :) - if you want them on their own try these that I posted over here - Sample image below and LOADS on my flickr :D

JI3A1346 by TP DK, on Flickr

And so onto week two...

I had this idea pretty much straight away, was just hoping nobody else did it first, thankfully not at the moment :)

Simple shot, my intention was to get the focus on the hands and have the note incomplete/in progress of being made just in sight, this hasn't worked as much as I hoped but not too bad... I tried the lighting several different ways, in the end I settled with ETTL but compensation at -2 to keep it darkish, and added a dark vignette to also help with the sinister look... on further reflection a conversion to B&W was my prefered finish.

Wk 2 - Captive

Wk 2 - Captive by TP DK, on Flickr

Back