weekly Elaine's 52 for 2016 - Urban added

Camouflage, like this certainly blends in okay. Dangerous is a good for the fungus, you just never know unless well educated.

I like #1 and feel it would work really well if taken at night. :runaway:

Cheers.
There's no way I'd go up there on my own at night! Some parts of the Hall date back to the 14th century and can be a bit spooky even in daylight if there aren't many people around :eek:

Week 8 - Topical

I saw in the news this week that some of the hot drinks sold in a well-known coffee shop contain up to 25 spoonfuls of sugar, so I thought I'd see what 25 spoonfuls of sugar looks like :jawdrop:

2rwrdjr.jpg

Although I love my red kitchen walls in real life, I think maybe a mono conversion suits the image better?

15hdbie.jpg

very topical indeed, maybe more effective with a starbucks/costa cup in BG but I get your point
That would involve me rummaging around in rubbish bins Allan. There's no way I'm paying upwards of 3 quid just to throw it down the drain ;)

Reactions: LC2
Good idea, I'm not normally much of a monochrome fan but in this case B&W for me, I guess because the main items are pretty much monochrome

Both nice shots, but I have to agree the red wall contrasts nicely and just edges it for me as the best overall image, however the sugar is more prominent in the black and white as the kettle tends to merge with the background. Well done on both (y)

Aaaaargh! I just posted mine - thought I was being clever by posting one on the sugar issue ha ha. Beat me to it Elaine - I'm claiming "great minds". Like your better than mine to be honest, even though mine is with a Starbucks cup. I prefer the b&w version as it highlights the sugar which is after all the primary subject of the theme. Well done. :clap:

Good idea for the theme Elaine - wow...that is a whole lot of sugar for a coffee! It's the colour one for me - the red of the wall contrasts well with the black and seems to hint at 'danger' from all that sugar. I find the highlights from the window a tiny bit too bright - I'm not sure if it would have been possible to soften these with some thin fabric in front of the light source? Just me being picky, though.

Red one for me also Susie, and very topical (y)

Colour for me too Susie, and right on theme too.

Hi Elaine, that's a good image which works well for the theme. Arrangement works well and good use of window light to really make the sugar crystals sparkle (and it works well on the spoon). Perhaps a touch too much specular reflection on the kettle spout for me, but the bands of reflecting window on the coffee jar and main body of the kettle work really well. I also like the red. Good job for a tricky week!

Im not a fan of Bw photography so defo the colour version for me, besides the BW is far to much black.

I must confess I needed to see the link to understand, but its good that's its not another EU photo.

Hi Elaine, a quick catch-up from me as it's my first visit to your thread. I'm still catching up with my themes but thanks for dropping into my thread and I'll try to keep up to date with yours in future!

Metal - I like both, but the second image is that bit more interesting with all the bolts at different angles. Off to a strong start!
Captive - again, I like both images, and your efforts to place poor Monkey in the right position have paid off, but I prefer the first one as it's dark and gritty and goes better with the theme for me. Nice work (y)
Miniature - really good work. I can only imagine how much time it took to get just the right position and angle to get the light and focus just right. Love all those close-up details - well done!
Happy - I'm old enough to think of that tune whenever I see magpies, so I 'got it'. A good and unusual take on the theme, and I like your colourful follow-up 'happy shepherds' image too.
Abandoned - you're giving your soft toys a hard time so far this year! :) Nice composition, and teddy's slight lean does add to the feeling of abandonment. He certainly doesn't look 30 years old!
Camouflage - works really well. The colours are spot on and it's an unusual subject for the theme.
Dangerous - a good selection of images. and they're all bang on theme. I think my choice would be the second one, with the bold warning sign in front of the gap in the building, but the heron is a really striking image.
Topical - good choice, and that's a shocking amount of sugar when you see it like that. I prefer the colour image as the warm red is a great backdrop to the shiny blacks and the sparkly sugar. A really punchy and well staged image (y)

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and I'll be following to make sure I keep up in future :)

Hi Elaine, a quick catch-up from me as it's my first visit to your thread. I'm still catching up with my themes but thanks for dropping into my thread and I'll try to keep up to date with yours in future!

Metal - I like both, but the second image is that bit more interesting with all the bolts at different angles. Off to a strong start!
Captive - again, I like both images, and your efforts to place poor Monkey in the right position have paid off, but I prefer the first one as it's dark and gritty and goes better with the theme for me. Nice work (y)
Miniature - really good work. I can only imagine how much time it took to get just the right position and angle to get the light and focus just right. Love all those close-up details - well done!
Happy - I'm old enough to think of that tune whenever I see magpies, so I 'got it'. A good and unusual take on the theme, and I like your colourful follow-up 'happy shepherds' image too.
Abandoned - you're giving your soft toys a hard time so far this year! :) Nice composition, and teddy's slight lean does add to the feeling of abandonment. He certainly doesn't look 30 years old!
Camouflage - works really well. The colours are spot on and it's an unusual subject for the theme.
Dangerous - a good selection of images. and they're all bang on theme. I think my choice would be the second one, with the bold warning sign in front of the gap in the building, but the heron is a really striking image.
Topical - good choice, and that's a shocking amount of sugar when you see it like that. I prefer the colour image as the warm red is a great backdrop to the shiny blacks and the sparkly sugar. A really punchy and well staged image (y)

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and I'll be following to make sure I keep up in future :)
Thanks for taking the time to do such a big catch up Andrea, it's really appreciated.

Week 9 - Living World

A 4-hour walk in the park this morning almost resulted in frostbite, but it did bag me more than 270 shots to choose from, so it was worth it. Finally whittled them down to these 3.

#1 Spring blossom
219tgzb.jpg

#2 Goosanders
2isbl95.jpg

#3 This one possibly requires a bit of an explanation. I chose it because I thought it illustrates a different aspect of the living world, in that even when something like this piece of moss-covered log is definitely no longer alive, it can still play an important role in supporting other living things (and yeah, I quite liked the image as well :p)
wkgxld.jpg

Hi Elaine. Three excellent and different variations for the theme. Would you believe I too have been eyeing up a dead log for exactly that contrast you mention ... cycle of life type shot. Of the three you have posted, my fave is Goosanders - the square crop really works well and the reflections give it a surreal/abstract quality. :clap:

Last edited:
Hi Elaine, Really like the black and white Topical image, so shocking that this is the accepted norm with consumers and the lack of power the government has to combat this sugar problem.

Living World - I prefer the Goosanders, like the framing and the reflections

1 walk, 270 shots whittled down to 3 .... I like it.

#2 is just great, and the reasoning behind #3

Hi Elaine. Three excellent and different variations for the theme. Would you believe I too have been eyeing up a dead log for exactly that contrast you mention ... cycle of life type shot. Of the three you have posted, my fave is Goosanders - the square crop really works well and the reflections give it a surreal/abstract quality. :clap:
Sugar last week, dead logs this week - do you think we were separated at birth Carl :eek:

Nice set Elaine, although the other 2 are nice images,
I prefer the moss, taking over the decaying tree trunk. That's true living. (y)

As the others have said, three good photos but for me #3 tells more of a story related to the theme.

Back