weekly Granddad's 52's - 2017

A great minimalistic shot. The lighting is well done and works well. It brings out the texture in the stones nicely. I think I prefer the portrait version slightly more. Maybe more of a square crop would suit? Just a thought...

Wow! very minimal and very well captured, I think landscape suits it better because it has more space around it I think

You always need more gear! We all do :)

Great photos, well composed and good lighting. I prefer the landscape shot, maybe even with the stack of rocks being moved vertically off centre, in the lower right corner...

Works well for Minimalistic (y) ... preferring the landscape orientation ... the more negative space the better.

Hi John, catch up time for me. You have some really great unusual subjects in your shots. I like the 1st one for large as you can see more of the angles on the mirrors. The water tower is great again, it looks as thought it wasn't a great day maybe just need to boost the colours a bit in pp. The clouds are very different like little cotton wool balls and lastly the stones look great very zen. I think I like the landscape one best :D

Minimalist - I think I prefer the landscape shot, but both work well, although I did find myself trying to zoom in and see more detail in the stones.

Takes me back John, I've still got a few slide-rules knocking around.

Excellent idea for progress, very clever story you're telling in your photo.

This robin has been bucking up courage to come into the kitchen for the last few days. He's so incredibly quick that I couldn't really get a high enough s/s even with the ISO and fill pop up flash. However I thought the blur gives a sense of the movement.
What do you think?

tp52_24-9709
by granddad john on Talk Photography

tp52_24-9705

tp52_24-9711

Last edited:
I do like my bird shots John, and for indoors I think you did great. Yes a shame on the last robin shot, on the #2 imo I love it as it is waiting for you to turn on the TV for Springwatch, like the bit of blur on the wings too and #1 is good too as wings up and a good catchlight in the eye (y)(y)

Last edited:
Wow, what a great series of photos. I thought robins were too shy to ever venture indoors!

I do like my bird shots John, and for indoors I think you did great. Yes a shame on the last robin shot, on the #2 imo I love it as it is waiting for you to turn on the TV for Springwatch, like the bit of blur on the wings too and #1 is good too as wings up and a good catchlight in the eye (y)(y)

Hahaaa that is a great capture John, I'd love to get some shots like that of the pair in our garden, Mrs DK's favourite birds too :)

Everyone loves a cheeky Robin....

First one is the pick for me....

Wow, what a great series of photos. I thought robins were too shy to ever venture indoors!

Thank you all. He's got a mate and young somewhere in the hedge nearby. We've been feeding him those suety (?) nibbles for a couple of weeks outside the door, off right. Last week I left the kitchen door open and then found him inside taking straight from the stockpile. He's now become a regular visitor, though very nervous about being indoors. The speed of those wingbeats must be incredibly fast.

Last edited:
Hi John,

Progress - You know, I'm not 100% certain I could still use a slide rule, but I suspect I could.
How about a copy of a log book too?

Pleasure - #3 would be my pick. Enough of him in focus, but mucho splendid motion blur.

Nice shot, but I d like to see something to give a sense of scale ?

Like the idea John, and can see what you were shooting for.

Shame the tower isnt square in the frame tho.

Shame the tower isnt square in the frame tho.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, too many trees square on to the church so had to go to one side to get the shot. Wasn't really that satisfied with it TBH but I liked the idea of the two faces:) and got carried away; should have found something better .:confused:

Hi John

Tiny - Sorry, it's a bit too similar in colour across the whole shot for me, and the object top rhs could do with being cloned out imo.

Face - I prefer the second image. The crop emphasises the detail.

Tiny - Sorry, it's a bit too similar in colour across the whole shot for me, and the object top rhs could do with being cloned out imo.

Yes it's a bit bland isn't it.... and I left the shutter catch/screw head in to give a sense of scale, but you're right Tim it doesn't really work.:(

You'd think living in the middle of Suffolk agriculture would be a doddle, but it's a few weeks early. harvest starts soon but not yet:banghead: Anyway a line up of vintage tractors at a country fair at the weekend and two farmers "in discussion" ;) Shame I couldn't do anything about the sky

URL=https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/photos/tp52-27-9755.16526/]
18547-1499960116-f6fdb8674bb33a9e546a89345096b858.jpg
[/URL]
tp52 27-9755 by granddad john on Talk Photography

tp52 27-9757

Last edited:
Agriculture, has got to be the #2 for me as like how the tractors are nicely lined up and well on theme :)

Hmmmmm maybe the first one for me, nice combination with the farmers included, and what a cracking colour tractor :)

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure which I liked best either. Came down to the people in the first one versus the great machinery. Thought these two farmers just looked so typical:)

Hi John.
Agreed, it really was a few weeks to early for agriculture, but at least it isn't the 3rd week in Jan with Snow onf the ground ;)
I think the shot you chose was the better of the two, it's a nice clean shot, the colours work well and there is extra interest in the background.

Sorry behind with comments but making an effort to catch up

Hold :- well done for catching one on the move,
Vivid - nice bright little Acer
Smoke - I really like these smoke trail shots.
Large - that is a very large and unusual sculpture well done on the cloning
Architecture - A novel looking Building great for the theme
Broken - clouds good take on the theme lovely shot
Attractive reshoot - great butterfly shot I know how hard it is to get them before they fly off again
Transport - some interestin shots I like the second bicycle best
Minimalistic - I was thinking of doing something like this but never got around to it spot on for the theme.
Progress - an interesting collection.
Pleasure - Some lovely photos we have a cat so I can't encourage birds in to the garden let alone the house.
Tiny - I like it but agree it needs a sense of scale
Face - two for the price of one I like the first picture best.
Agriculture - both good shots but I like the first one more.

Deffo second agriculture :).

First of face shots.

Good shot of a worm, but subject itself looks terrible :D

Robin on first looks the part, cheeky little thing ;).

Generally like what I see here, some cool takes on subjects mate, keep it up.

Back