Just suppose it was intentional, Sirch's 52 for 2017, 52, Weather

Occupation
I like that, good colours, well composed and on theme.

Yup, that's why I've given up on the idea, there was always to much clutter in the reflection (I don't really have any plain wall in my house) You seem to have done a pretty good job of it.

Yup, that's why I've given up on the idea, there was always to much clutter in the reflection (I don't really have any plain wall in my house) You seem to have done a pretty good job of it.

You did a great job Chris, and agree mirrors are a right old faff, so well done :)

Thanks both, I'm a bit short on blank walls, thinking I need some backdrops...

Nice one! You could always cheat you know ... a shot of the mirror against the wall, another selfie shot, then fit them together. Not as good as the real thing, and you don't get the distorted reflection in the bevelled edges.

Just remembered ... I've seen some great results (not done it myself) done with a mirror outdoors in fields/woods.

Nice one! You could always cheat you know ... a shot of the mirror against the wall, another selfie shot, then fit them together. Not as good as the real thing, and you don't get the distorted reflection in the bevelled edges.

Just remembered ... I've seen some great results (not done it myself) done with a mirror outdoors in fields/woods.
Thanks David, interesting idea about taking it outside although I think we would both be a self-concious lugging a big mirror around the local woods...

You, quite a stern looking photograph.

Mirrors aren't easy to work with but you've done well to remove the clutter.

I'd like your daughter to be looking at the camera. Minor point.

Cheers.

You, quite a stern looking photograph.

Mirrors aren't easy to work with but you've done well to remove the clutter.

I'd like your daughter to be looking at the camera. Minor point.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, we were going for looking at each other with a kind of "Oi You" vibe

Last edited:
Nice arch Chris with a good reflection too. I like both shots

hi Chris, arch is a cracking shot imo. The reflection of the bridge and arch is bang on theme, lovely colours and looks nice and peaceful. Second shot of the more scenic view is just beautiful :)
Thanks Dave, glad you like them

Beautiful choice of location for Arch Chris, I can just imagine sauntering along the river side, you don't get a much more perfect scenes than that.
Well done with You, I've never tried a mirror shot, I imagine its really hard to get right.
Thanks Susie, it is a nice place for a walk.

Nice arch Chris with a good reflection too. I like both shots
Thanks Tilly

Hi Chris,

Curves - With your broken foot, once on crutches you'll have even bigger curves. Works nicely in B&W.

Occupation - I too would have liked the whole flower in the shot, but having read your explanation, understand the reasoning. Good shot nonetheless, the colours work really well.

You - Agree with the comments that you've done a good job removing clutter. I don't mind that your daughter isn't looking at the camera, it's not a portrait shot per se.

Arch - #1. Because the reflection is far more obvious and also you can see details behind the bridge.

Hi Chris,

Curves - With your broken foot, once on crutches you'll have even bigger curves. Works nicely in B&W.

Occupation - I too would have liked the whole flower in the shot, but having read your explanation, understand the reasoning. Good shot nonetheless, the colours work really well.

You - Agree with the comments that you've done a good job removing clutter. I don't mind that your daughter isn't looking at the camera, it's not a portrait shot per se.

Arch - #1. Because the reflection is far more obvious and also you can see details behind the bridge.
Thanks Tim, my foot is on the mend, it turned out to be a chip of bone rather than a full break so I can walk short distances. Thanks for taking the time to catch up.

Very nice arch. (y) ... reflection too.
Thanks David it is a lovely bridge.

As has been said, both are very strong images, but I prefer the first as the Bridge is a bigger part of the shot. Lovely reflections.

Hi Chris,

Occupation- Thats a cracking shot, great colours and focus, only one tiny complaint and thats the lost bit on petal on the left side
You - Not sure about this one, great job with the mirror but you both do look pretty unhappy
Arches - I guess the first one is better for the theme as its a close up of the bridge but I like the second image better. I love the reflections of the clouds and the trees on the water

:D

Hi Chris,

Occupation- Thats a cracking shot, great colours and focus, only one tiny complaint and thats the lost bit on petal on the left side
You - Not sure about this one, great job with the mirror but you both do look pretty unhappy
Arches - I guess the first one is better for the theme as its a close up of the bridge but I like the second image better. I love the reflections of the clouds and the trees on the water

Thanks Georgina, we were going for tense/serious/threatening in the "you" photo so that worked then :). Glad you liked the others

A beautiful tranquil scene, love the reflections in both. Wonder a longer exposure to 'smooth' out the water a bit would work?
Thanks Stan, I did take some long exposures but they came out a bit soft, I'm not sure why.

Hi Chris, I'm up-to-date with my own images again (well, I was until the new theme!) so another quick catch-up since my last visit. Thank you for your visits to my thread in the meantime and I'm glad to read your foot is on the mend :)

Curves is a good idea and works well in B&W with that bright background. I tried something similar in a previous 52 and struggled with the lighting on my son's arm so eventually gave up, but you got this right.

Occupation is a super shot, full of colour and impact, and the pale background is perfect to set off the strong colours of the flower and bee. It's lovely to see so many busy bees at the moment.

A clever idea for You and definitely not easy to work with mirrors, so you've done well to control the reflections and background. You also got the stern expressions you were aiming for, and aren't you lucky to have a willing model; my two lads would run a mile at the idea!

Arch - wow! These are the best I have seen so far. Such a beautiful bridge and setting, and although #1 is probably the best to illustrate the theme, I do love #2 for the wider setting and reflections :clap:

Hi Chris, I'm up-to-date with my own images again (well, I was until the new theme!) so another quick catch-up since my last visit. Thank you for your visits to my thread in the meantime and I'm glad to read your foot is on the mend :)

Curves is a good idea and works well in B&W with that bright background. I tried something similar in a previous 52 and struggled with the lighting on my son's arm so eventually gave up, but you got this right.

Occupation is a super shot, full of colour and impact, and the pale background is perfect to set off the strong colours of the flower and bee. It's lovely to see so many busy bees at the moment.

A clever idea for You and definitely not easy to work with mirrors, so you've done well to control the reflections and background. You also got the stern expressions you were aiming for, and aren't you lucky to have a willing model; my two lads would run a mile at the idea!

Arch - wow! These are the best I have seen so far. Such a beautiful bridge and setting, and although #1 is probably the best to illustrate the theme, I do love #2 for the wider setting and reflections :clap:
Thanks for taking the time Andrea, really appreciate it. Having a willing model does make thing easier, my lad won't have his photo taken. Glad you like the bridge, just happened to get decent weather for once.

Arch
It works pretty well for me, a good reflection in the water. I wonder if it would be better if it was flipped horizontally so that the water lead you to the bridge/arch.

Arch
It works pretty well for me, a good reflection in the water. I wonder if it would be better if it was flipped horizontally so that the water lead you to the bridge/arch.
Thanks Dominic, Interesting idea about flipping it, I just tried and to me it looks weird but that may be because it is a view I know well.

What a faff mirrors are!

Splendid, I love that! (y)
I would only suggest to clear the bevel
of the reflection on each side! :cool:

Splendid, I love that! (y)
I would only suggest to clear the bevel
of the reflection on each side! :cool:
Thanks Daniel, I was in two minds about the bevel so I did half a job :) and cleared the top, which was very distracting but I quite liked the side bevel although several people have commented on it so what do I know o_O

Cool shot, like the idea

It's a different take for the theme and it works well. The only thing that annoys me a little bit (OCD) and I know it's how it's meant to be, but I wish everything on the display wasn't backwards.

Back