LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Who has a lego piano :jawdrop: interesting and amusing take on the theme but you need never show it again :bat:

Progress - I like the tilt shift effect and think it works well. Interesting to read that you didn't do it with a filter. Am I right in thinking that to do it in shot you take the lens off and hold it tilted in front? It's something I have in mind to do with a local shot soon so any advice would be welcome.

Face - Glad you went ahead with your idea, it's tough finding the right notes but works anyway (I used a bit of photoshop to help with mine), as some have mentioned it appears to be leaning but I do like the DOF and composition.

Like the shot Tim, on theme and like the oof BG with the main focus on the subject :)
Thanks Dave.

Amusing take on the theme, looks a little like the piano is leaning left/forward, not sure why but stands out well against the background
Yes, I suppose it does a little. Probably the result of 1. Having the piano angled by about 20 degrees, 2. Taking the shot from quite close and above (about a 45' angle).
I've since had a play with lens correction, but it just makes it worse.

Nice take on the subject mate. I like train photo too, but Progress is amazingly captured!
Interesting, Progress was probably my least favourite of the three.

I like the effect on the train shot, really does make it look like a toy :)
That was the plan :)

Now a piano was NOT what I was expecting :D

A nice subject, is a tad wonky but the DoF and focus sure helps the shot, I'm lost with letters though :)
Really? The Spaces of the Treble Clef are (from the bottom up) the notes F,A,C,E (the lines are EGBDF). Something that was drummed into me as a boy doing piano lessons.

Who has a lego piano :jawdrop: interesting and amusing take on the theme but you need never show it again :bat:
I didn't until a couple of days ago. That's why my image was a bit late, waiting for it to be delivered by Amazon...
Don't worry, I doubt it'll be out again (or will it mwhahahahahaaaaaaa).

Progress - I like the tilt shift effect and think it works well. Interesting to read that you didn't do it with a filter. Am I right in thinking that to do it in shot you take the lens off and hold it tilted in front? It's something I have in mind to do with a local shot soon so any advice would be welcome.
No, it wasn't done physically with the lens, what I meant was my copy of CS2 is so old that there are no TS effects / filters built in.
It was done by:
1. Quick Mask mode
2. Reflected gradient applied at 90' to the line I wanted in focus
3. Come out of quick mask, then apply a lens blur
4. Repeat 1/2/3 until happy ;)
5. Boost Saturation
6. Apply a bit of sharpening using curves

Face - Glad you went ahead with your idea, it's tough finding the right notes but works anyway (I used a bit of photoshop to help with mine), as some have mentioned it appears to be leaning but I do like the DOF and composition.
I should have thought about photoshopping the right notes in. D'oh!

I quite like it, Tim. It's theme fitting and you still manage to include a train.
Exactly what I was going to say, though I would have cloned the gazeebo thingy out... I love how you got the combination included, a nice nifty angle and also agree B&W looks grand (y)

Really very good mono conversion, trains and vintage tractors, what's not to like.

T...

Really? The Spaces of the Treble Clef are (from the bottom up) the notes F,A,C,E (the lines are EGBDF). Something that was drummed into me as a boy doing piano lessons.

Yes mate... I have no idea at all on reading music, though I would loved to have learnt to play something :)

you got a piece of agricultural equipment on a train, that on its own is f*ck*ng with my head :eek::wideyed::ROFLMAO:

One of the more original takes on this weeks theme Tim, I like it a lot - it has a lot of your particular style yet still bang on theme. Good work.

You say a PABD, but it is a nice shot Tim, good argriculture machinery and it reminds me of an old Ford Dexter I use to drive while working on the golf course. Goes well in mono too :)
Oh it is. I'm hating the shadow on the side of the flat truck, but very little I could do about it.

I quite like it, Tim. It's theme fitting and you still manage to include a train.
Ta Stan.

Exactly what I was going to say, though I would have cloned the gazeebo thingy out... I love how you got the combination included, a nice nifty angle and also agree B&W looks grand (y)
I guess I could/should have cloned the tent out, but it was pabd and the effort involved, due to the fencing, was more than I could face.
B&W was definetly the way to go though :)

Really very good mono conversion, trains and vintage tractors, what's not to like.
Cheers Chris, yes B&W was the best option for the shot.

Yes mate... I have no idea at all on reading music, though I would loved to have learnt to play something :)
Stuff you learn at 7 stays with you all your life! Just like knowing Middle C is almost certainly the one in front of the lock.

you got a piece of agricultural equipment on a train, that on its own is f*ck*ng with my head :eek::wideyed::ROFLMAO:
An advantage of having a trainset in 12" to the foot gauge to play with eh? ;)

One of the more original takes on this weeks theme Tim, I like it a lot - it has a lot of your particular style yet still bang on theme. Good work.
My Style? ;)

Good shot overall mate :)
Cheers Tom.

I suppose we do think cricket is a graceful game, not how I remember it when facing a fast bowler we never had the full protective equipment, nice idea for the theme

While I can't comment on cricket being graceful game (sorry, not native :exit:), I like photo very much. Perfect example that backround doesn't always have to be blurred. Also nice bit of motion captured, well done sir ;)

Well captured and a good take on the theme, I might be tempted to crop the spectators off the top but I guess they add context.

No Thomas the Tank Face but a baby piano is a good substitute. Nice one for the theme ... face the music.

Oh I do like a little grey Fergie. On a train too!

And yes the defensive batting sure is Graceful.

Hi Tim, a quick catch-up from me since my last visit.

Tiny - the TS effect works really well with this subject and I echo the comments about the mixed wagons reminding me of train sets of the past, both mine (I was a Tomboy and my Dad a steam enthusiast!) and my boys. Nice work.
Face - really good idea, and nice DOF to isolate the piano. Not sure if it's wonky but TBH it doesn't matter for this one :)
Agriculture - lovely old tractor; it works well for this theme and suits B&W too.
Graceful - good frozen action shot, with the all-important ball in shot and nicely blurred too.

And hey, what's going on? That's two of the four that don't feature trains or engines! :confused: :D

A nice idea for the theme Tim, a pleasant break from the trains but disappointing too as it is not a train :D still, A nice capture, with a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the batsman but at the same time show movement of the ball, nicely done (y)
Thanks Dean. Not the easiest of shots given I was using an old compact. I think I did reasonably well.

I suppose we do think cricket is a graceful game, not how I remember it when facing a fast bowler we never had the full protective equipment, nice idea for the theme
I only ever played purely in an amateur fashion, with mates and once or twice for the work's team against other branches.
I couldn't even see the ball when it was a slow bowler ;) The top flight make it seem so easy.

While I can't comment on cricket being graceful game (sorry, not native :exit:), I like photo very much. Perfect example that backround doesn't always have to be blurred. Also nice bit of motion captured, well done sir ;)
I think the aperture was as wide open as it would go ;) I too like the contrast of the motion of the ball vs the freezing of the motion of the batsman.

Well captured and a good take on the theme, I might be tempted to crop the spectators off the top but I guess they add context.
I think that would unbalance the image (maybe a letter box crop would work...)

The Noble Game of Cricket, graceful indeed. Very well captured and well timed. The inclusion of the ball really makes the image too.
:) I agree, without the ball it wouldn't work.

No Thomas the Tank Face but a baby piano is a good substitute. Nice one for the theme ... face the music.

Oh I do like a little grey Fergie. On a train too!

And yes the defensive batting sure is Graceful.
Ta @d00d, I could get a TTTE for a face re-shoot this week, but that might be too obvious

Nice movement, ball motion blur and yup graceful.

Shallower DOF maybe, but works well.

Cheers.
It was wide open, it's as shallow as it gets on my TZ8 ;)
I was worried about taking the 80D and an L zoom in as the T&Cs say no photography.

Hi Tim, a quick catch-up from me since my last visit.

Tiny - the TS effect works really well with this subject and I echo the comments about the mixed wagons reminding me of train sets of the past, both mine (I was a Tomboy and my Dad a steam enthusiast!) and my boys. Nice work.
Face - really good idea, and nice DOF to isolate the piano. Not sure if it's wonky but TBH it doesn't matter for this one :)
Agriculture - lovely old tractor; it works well for this theme and suits B&W too.
Graceful - good frozen action shot, with the all-important ball in shot and nicely blurred too.

And hey, what's going on? That's two of the four that don't feature trains or engines! :confused: :D
I do try to keep to a 50:50 ratio of trains to other subjects ;) Thanks for the comments

Hi Tim ...I'm miles behind on your thread !

Broken ...pinhole photography ...not something I know anything about but the blurry imagine actually works well for the theme.
Transport ...well it had to be a train and a very smart one it is too!
Minimalist...definitely the pineapple finial, a nice simple shot that works well for the theme.
Progress ... has to be my favourite, I love this one, what a great choice for the theme.
Pleasure ... great focus, just enough background detail to make sense.
Tiny ...what another smashing photo, I love the tilt/shift effect, I think I tried it once last year.
Face ...yes, you surprised us all with that choice, nice one!
Transport ...nice choice in the b&w, I agreee the gazebo sort of spoils it a bit, it takes something away from the image.
Graceful ... oooh now my OH would love that one ...he loves cricket!!
Fruit ... strawberry and ice cream ..whats not to like ...might need more strawberries than that though :)

There we go all up to date :)

Both work for the theme but I think I will go with the strawberry, very vibrant against the vanilla ice cream ad Susie says needs more Strawberry's do you want us to have a whip round and send you a punnet :LOL:

Definitely the strawberry and ice cream for me, Tim :) I like the natural colours and textures in the pine cone, but the deep red of the strawberry against the rich creamy texture of the ice cream is very appealing (y)
Thanks Andrea. Those were my thoughts too.

Got to be the strawberry and ice cream for me too Tim, a really nice bright shot (y)
Cheers Dave. I agree.

Hi Tim ...I'm miles behind on your thread !

Broken ...pinhole photography ...not something I know anything about but the blurry imagine actually works well for the theme.
Transport ...well it had to be a train and a very smart one it is too!
Minimalist...definitely the pineapple finial, a nice simple shot that works well for the theme.
Progress ... has to be my favourite, I love this one, what a great choice for the theme.
Pleasure ... great focus, just enough background detail to make sense.
Tiny ...what another smashing photo, I love the tilt/shift effect, I think I tried it once last year.
Face ...yes, you surprised us all with that choice, nice one!
Transport ...nice choice in the b&w, I agreee the gazebo sort of spoils it a bit, it takes something away from the image.
Graceful ... oooh now my OH would love that one ...he loves cricket!!
Fruit ... strawberry and ice cream ..whats not to like ...might need more strawberries than that though :)

There we go all up to date :)
It's so easy to fall behind with commenting, and not helped when I miss a few weeks and then do catch ups.
Progress was defintely a fun image, Tiny - Well, I love playing with the TS effect and do quite a few, even if they don't get put on my flickr, just for fun.
Agriculture - I should have removed the gazebo, ah well. Fruit - There were more strawbs added before I ate the props :)

Both work for the theme but I think I will go with the strawberry, very vibrant against the vanilla ice cream ad Susie says needs more Strawberry's do you want us to have a whip round and send you a punnet :LOL:
It ended up with a fair few more strawbs before I ate it :)

Strawb is beautifully red against the ice cream, I like that.
Thanks Mark. That was my choice of the two shots.

Week 30 - Vehicle

A choice of 3 this theme. A Space vehicle - The Millennium Falcon...

#1 is probably the best angle, but the sky is really flat.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 30 : Vehicle
by Tim White, on Flickr

#2 has slighly better sky, but the angle isn't as good

by Tim White, on Flickr

I far prefer the background in #3, but the shot from the side doesn't do it as much justice

by Tim White, on Flickr

Well, I had the best of intentions for this shot, but I guess it's a PABD.

Not fussed about the flat sky, I totally love the #1 shot, it`s just so damn cool :)
It's a sod to fly though, it doesn't have any of the stabilisation tools, so you're flying it by hand.

Excellent subject ... something totally different, I like #1 best, it's a tad dark on detail, but still looks good.
You should have seen the raw before I raised the shadows! But with the contrast between the sky and the unlit underside, it was either going to be a case of recovering the shadows or the highlights.

Made me LoL, I think you picked right with #2, I find the distance makes it a bit more convincing.

Agreed with you about the first being the best. Like Dave, I'm not really bothered about the sky since it's a deep space vehicle and doesn't expect blue sky with fluffy white clouds. :)
qeLJHl1.gif

Back