LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Build
Just the job. It's as simple as that.

Juice/Juicy
Well with the explanation it makes perfect sense.

Excellent take on the theme :clap: :clap: A fruit coloured mutiple-unit pulling juice from the rail
Cheers Chris. I think I managed something different from the expected.

Only you......that said a fine idea well thought out
Thanks Allan. It's a shame I didn't manage exactly the shot I wanted, but I've done far too few shoe-horns recently.

Build
Just the job. It's as simple as that.

Juice/Juicy
Well with the explanation it makes perfect sense.
Ta Dom. I did quite like build, and Juice, well, it's me isn't it.

Very lateral thinking here, Tim and thanks for the briefs. I did wonder could the 3rd rails are for power pick-up.
If you're going to put your ear to the rails to listen for a train approaching, don't do it on the live rail. 750v DC won't do you a lot of good.

SOLD with that mate, and what a shoehorn, nice tenuous link :clap: :D
Ta DK, but shoe-horn? where? ;)

Well someone had to put a juice train in, nicely thought shot and on theme :)
Thanks Dave. See DK, someone think's it's on theme ;)

A train ... excellent!
Well, a bit of a train anyway.

Week 49 - Broad (Gauge)

The last remaining platform at Windsor and Eton Central Station.
Windsor and Eton Central Station originally had 4 platforms, and was served by the GWR Broad Gauge from Paddington via Slough.
The platforms have been reduced in number and size over the years, from 4 to 2 and then finally to 1 short (3 carriage) platform when AXA brought the extensive Victorian Station Building and turned it into a shopping mall :(
You can just about tell that the station was originally Broad Gauge as the trackbed is wide enough for the 7 1/4' track of Brunel's Broad Gauge, the 4' 8 1/2" Standard Gauge fits onto the trackbed with room to spare.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 49 : Broad
by Tim White, on Flickr

I took a number of shots from different positions, angles and heights, and well, this was about the best at telling the story.
PABD...

Its an interesting shot with a good back story, so is fine with me...

Yep, broad gauge is a good idea for the theme, can't help but think if you had stood closer to the platform edge the broadness of the track bed compared to the standard gauge track would have been emphasised more.

You could tell us any old rubbish and we would believe you, I have to agree with sirch as to getting closer

What! no train! :exit:

I think it's a nicely framed image. I mean, you could emphasise the tracks but that would mean a different shot entirely.

Good clear shot for broad theme Tim, not to worry about it being a PABD.
Its an interesting shot with a good back story, so is fine with me...
Works well with the explanation there, looks like you have done the best with the area.
Yep, broad gauge is a good idea for the theme, can't help but think if you had stood closer to the platform edge the broadness of the track bed compared to the standard gauge track would have been emphasised more.
Well that's track lesson for me for today :D

I think you have done well with what you had Tim, leading lines being the main element sweeping in from the corner, good train'shoehorn'iness (y)
You could tell us any old rubbish and we would believe you, I have to agree with sirch as to getting closer
What! no train! :exit:

I think it's a nicely framed image. I mean, you could emphasise the tracks but that would mean a different shot entirely.
Broad
I like a good little story to go with the theme.

Well, that got more appreciation than I thought it would or deserved.
I felt it wasn't a bad idea, and that the image technically wasn't terrible, but it was pretty uninspiring...

I quite like @Allan.H's idea of posting plausible sounding rubbish as the back story.
I think I will have to do that at least once next year and see if anyone can spot it :)

Regarding the different angle. I did try some from different points, different angles and different heights. Nothing really worked and some were pretty terrible!

I was going to suggest flipping the image to get a leading line from bottom left to top right, but then thought this is more of a record shot and that wouldn't be a true representation.

I was going to suggest flipping the image to get a leading line from bottom left to top right, but then thought this is more of a record shot and that wouldn't be a true representation.
The writing would be mirrored too then (the full size image has sufficient detail to read the signs). Is there a convention for leading lines?

Week 50 : Rustic

Not really very happy with this one. Took this as a banker shot on Friday with the aim of getting something better over the weekend, but rain shopped play, so...

Stone cat on a rustic looking wall, taken from an angle that hides the white transit that was behind the wall and viewable through the hole.
Pluses - On the third and looking into the picture, not out.
Minuses - Uninspired.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 50 : Rustic
by Tim White, on Flickr

Its better than you think its a tad blueish that could be just me of course as said above a bit of separation would look better but it still works with the rather odd wall

+ve; on theme and not a single train or tracks in sight, ;) not even the white Transit van.
-ve; can't spot any. :)

I like it, the brick wall being very amateurish built and what looks like surplus mortar the cat sits on. All very rustic.

Yes rustic indeed, I'd love more separation from the background but hey it was a temp shot, I was going to pop out on Sunday too as swamped on Saturday, rain stopped play again also :( but att least you have a box ticked (y)

Its better than you think its a tad blueish that could be just me of course as said above a bit of separation would look better but it still works with the rather odd wall

Thanks guys, you're more positive about the shot than I was/am.
Perhaps because it wasn't what I wanted, it was just a backup 'just in case'.

Separation, yes a bit more would have been nice. All I had was the kit lens, taking the shot at an oblique angle and across a stream, so I couldn't get any closer(1) and stuck with f/5.6

I see what you mean about the blue @Allan.H I was putting it down to the exposure, but you're right, a tweak of the colour temp does improve it.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 50 : Rustic
by Tim White, on Flickr

(1) At least not without jumping down about 10 foot into a fast flowing large stream in the middle of Salisbury.

Yes warmer is better, Tim, though the cat stands out even less now.:banghead: Strange wall that, definitly rustic.:) With this weather it's best to have a shot in the bank. Well done; at least you can relax until Thursday !!

Last edited:
I like the warmer temp too. That wall is surely in need of some tlc. Definitely on theme.

Having a quick flick through your thread - I love your St. Paul's image - lovely light against the dark sky and background

I like the Spinnaker Tower shot. I think it's really difficult to get a good image of this and I really like this composition. I don't think I've ever noticed it from that perspective - from the Isle of Wight we usually see it from the other direction!

I enjoyed the narrative on Broad. The old stations are so much more picturesque.

Juice - I've learnt another thing - thanks for educating us.

Remote and Build need no explanation - all on theme. I bet a time lapse of Battersea Power Station would be interesting with all those cranes.

Hi Tim, the edit has lifted the atmosphere in your Rustic image and just left lots of questions about the context of who and why planted the cat on that particular wall in that position, and why the wall is in the state it is :)

Looking back through the images you've posted since my last visit, I like all the activity you have captured in the area around the old Battersea Power Station for Build, and the dramatic light and sky above St Paul's for your Architecture re-shoot, but that set of images for Height includes a couple of crackers. Whilst your first choice does give a good sense of scale and height, I prefer the overall balance of #2, which I also gives a real sense of height because of the sheer size of the Shard compared to all the other buildings in the scene. I also love the perspective of #3, and although you think it's over-processed I think you get away with it here because of the low POV and the details you've brought out of the sky. (y)

May be a curves tweak would make it a but grittier? It's a good find for the subject and TBH I think I prefer the tones in the original.

Yes warmer is better, Tim, though the cat stands out even less now.:banghead: Strange wall that, definitly rustic.:) With this weather it's best to have a shot in the bank. Well done; at least you can relax until Thursday !!
Oh yes, a couple of days rest ;) I did ponder some lighting effects in pp, but left it.

I like the warmer temp too. That wall is surely in need of some tlc. Definitely on theme.

Having a quick flick through your thread - I love your St. Paul's image - lovely light against the dark sky and background
I did like the St Paul's shot, but the crop into the tower on the left put it into second place for me.

I like the Spinnaker Tower shot. I think it's really difficult to get a good image of this and I really like this composition. I don't think I've ever noticed it from that perspective - from the Isle of Wight we usually see it from the other direction!
I did take several different angles. I do quite like the over processing, but it is over processed, so...

I enjoyed the narrative on Broad. The old stations are so much more picturesque.
You have some really nice old stations on the IOW, and I'm not thinking Havenstreet.

Juice - I've learnt another thing - thanks for educating us.
The '38 stock on the IOW are 3rd rail too.

Remote and Build need no explanation - all on theme. I bet a time lapse of Battersea Power Station would be interesting with all those cranes.
An interesting thought, but that location involves hold the camera above your head in the middle of a bridge, so perhaps not ;)

Hi Tim, the edit has lifted the atmosphere in your Rustic image and just left lots of questions about the context of who and why planted the cat on that particular wall in that position, and why the wall is in the state it is :)

Looking back through the images you've posted since my last visit, I like all the activity you have captured in the area around the old Battersea Power Station for Build, and the dramatic light and sky above St Paul's for your Architecture re-shoot, but that set of images for Height includes a couple of crackers. Whilst your first choice does give a good sense of scale and height, I prefer the overall balance of #2, which I also gives a real sense of height because of the sheer size of the Shard compared to all the other buildings in the scene. I also love the perspective of #3, and although you think it's over-processed I think you get away with it here because of the low POV and the details you've brought out of the sky. (y)
I think the wall is just badly maintained. The cat is odd though, I agree. Scarecrow perhaps?
St Paul's had the chance to be a really good shot, ah well. The problem I have with the Shard shot is that the view is of the unlit side

That's a good spot Tim, everything fits well with the theme, the warmer version does improve it as well.
Cheers Michael. I agree, the edit is better.

May be a curves tweak would make it a but grittier? It's a good find for the subject and TBH I think I prefer the tones in the original.
Hmm, grittier, yes, that possibly would work. D'ya want to have a go?

Week 51 - Festive

This is a "WTF were you thinking of Tim" shot ;)
Over the Festive period, there are works going on at Charing Cross / Waterloo East / London Bridge resulting in service variations.
Thus the Dover Priory / Ramsgate services are running out of the International Terminus at London Waterloo.
It would normally not be expected that you would see a South Eastern service passing through Vauxhall

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 51 : Festive (Take 1)
by Tim White, on Flickr

And no @Allan.H, this isn't something I've made up. Watch out for those next year ;)

And once again in English :thinking: southern rail passing through Vauxhall you have it tough down south

Rustic ... mildly disappointed by the lack of train. But some amazing brickwork there. (y)

Festive ... nice shiny train shot just needs tinsel, balloons, that kind of thing.

... looking forward to Take 2.

Festive
You somehow managed to get a train into a festive theme, well done :D

Excellent work of shoe-hornery there Tim.have a good Christmas

Why oh why did I know you`d get a train shot in, getting away with the festive trains :)
Well, I had to really, didn't I.

Rustic ... mildly disappointed by the lack of train. But some amazing brickwork there. (y)

Festive ... nice shiny train shot just needs tinsel, balloons, that kind of thing.

... looking forward to Take 2.
It was the beginning of the Santa season on the railway, so avoiding it until after Christmas, hence Rustic was not railway related (although I had a couple of ideas I could have used).
Maybe Festive take 1 needed some instagram Filters ;)
I also contemplated something like:

Bauble
by Tim White, on Flickr

But couldn't make it look enough like a bauble.

Take 2 is coming very shortly :)

Nice one Tim, like it....
Thanks Michael.

Festive
You somehow managed to get a train into a festive theme, well done :D
You'd be disappointed if I hadn't, admit it.

Excellent work of shoe-hornery there Tim.have a good Christmas
Thanks Chris.

And now for round 2...

Back