Mozthecat TP52 2018 week 5,6 and 7 catchup

Yep liking the gates partly open as it makes the viewer want to step through them, the B&W certainly takes away any possible confusion with the greenery, I'm glad you remembered to join in and post your first shot, good luck with the rest of your 52 and making the best use of your great kit uprade (y)

I find myself wanting to know what station this is. It appears to be a single line branch and it's not covered in network rail modern furniture, so I'm thinking a heritage line but it's not one I recognise.
Works nicely in B&W. It's the kind of image that intrigues.

I find myself wanting to know what station this is. It appears to be a single line branch and it's not covered in network rail modern furniture, so I'm thinking a heritage line but it's not one I recognise.
Works nicely in B&W. It's the kind of image that intrigues.

It’s the far end of the main demonstration line at Didcot Railway Centre, sign posted as Oxford Road.

Welcome aboard the 52 train and enjoy your new camera as well as the weekly challenge! That's a good low point of view for the gate and seems to accentuate the fact that its open, showing the expanse of empty platform beyond. The only thing I would suggest is perhaps trying to boost the contrast a bit so the blacks are 'blacker', which would possibly give it more punch, but it's a really good subject for this theme (y)

Hello and welcome to the 52 challenge and good luck with it, I hope you enjoy getting out and about with your new camera.

Gate(d) - A good close image of the gate, image could use a bit more " punch" like Andrea has mentioned other than that it is a nice start.

A definite improvement it’s a nice shot works well in B+W oh and CC works both ways try and get yourself involved And pass a few comments on other people’s threads

Nice work the extra processing on the second picture has really enhanced it

Works for me very well, and a good idea for the mono presentation.(y)

George.

Good choice of subject and good edit, nice that the gate is partly open and the fence and path lead off into the distance

Second is much better Jon. Agree with the other comments about the open gate. A good start and welcome to the 52s

Hi Jon and welcome

That's quite an interesting pair of gates in a slightly drab setting. Don't know if more could be done with that ... like an OOF BG?

Gate
When I was looking at the original, I thought that could do with a bit more punch, then after looking at it for a bit I thought, a bit of grain would work better.

The further processed version of you gate photo is great, nice B&W conversion and grain works well.

So as soon as I saw the week 2 theme my heart sank as really not my thing...I therefore went out on Sunday to a local track that is popular with dog walkers to see what I could find:

I ended up with this on theme, not a great contribution in the scheme of things, but I got out and togged so cant complain.

week 2 people version 1
by Mozthecat on Talk Photography

and the original jpeg per the camera, specific C&C on the adjustments I have made to the raw are welcome:

week 2 people original
by Mozthecat on Talk Photography

Hi Jon.
As Michael says, the colour temp is a bit warm. The jpg looks like it is probably truer to the scene.
Of course, it is your artistic choice to edit the photo as you feel best.

Is the person under the bridge carrying a traffic cone?

I like that you have captured the magic 3 number in the shot which works well, composition through the arch too, plenty of interest in the shot too with the bike and cone being carried etc, the PP is very arty and adds a warm look... good to see somebody else out of there comfort zone too, exactly what the 52 is about (y)

hi Jon, as much as i'm not feeling it for the image, i am in awe of how you brought so much colour and warmth out of the initial image, an image someone might chimp at and think "No..that wont do", so well done on transforming depressing winter into a golden autumnal feel (y)

To my eyes the white balance is way out on the first one, unrealistically so. However, the second one doesn't work as well with a normal white balance. I'd say somewhere between the two would work better.

Hi Jon, I like the first one, I think the added colour brings it to life, reminds me more of a painting than a photo. Just looked back at the comments ...I think SS nailed it with his comment, you’ve given it a golden glow. Looking forward to seeing more of your experiments in the weeks ahead,

The second one looks better in my opinion, closer to the original scene I imagine, and I like the muted colours. Well composed with path in the middle under the bridge and the discarded bike.

Stark shot works for me Sir, nicely composed with good PP, and well suited to mono.(y)

George.

People - well done for getting out and doing something thats a bit out of your comfort zone, I have to agree with one of the comments above that it does seem a little yellow on the image, would love to know why the guy is carrying a traffic cone:thinking:.

Stark - does not seem like cheating to me using B&W, works very well for this image, looks like an interesting little church.

Agree with the comments about going mono to deal with the sky. I think it was a good choice.
I am going to ask about the verticals. The only comletely vertical line is the camera left church wall.
Obviously I don't know the building, it's certainly old enough that there are no verticals. Or is there perhaps a need to use lens correction?
The end wall of the church has really caught my attention. I'm sure it probably isn't, but the mark on the wall puts me in mind of a graffiti'd face that has undergone an attempt at removal. I suspect it's just erosion of the surface though.

Back