weekly Nostromo TP52 (2017) Wk 52: Weather

Excellent close-up of cat ... good idea too.

Curves ... I like the focus on the hairiness of the near/top ball but don't think it's showing it's curves as well as the others.

Sorry, seem to have missed your curves post in the main thread, anyway the black background works well against the bright balls and the contrasting colours bring out the curves of the balls.

Occupation
I was going to do a photo of me at work, but thought, who would want to see that :D
So here's a pic of a street trader, who was in town for the continental food market.
The orange awning made him very David Dickinson like, so i've tried to tone it down a bit.

untitled-2-2 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I thought about using this one ,but felt the focus was more on the Olives than the man.

untitled-12-2 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Who ate all the paella? :D Second one is a nice photo but the first I think edges it for the theme, he looks occupied

You (Will YOU ........)

After a few different ideas, Settled on this one. It's so hard doing this sort of thing on your own. Take a shot, look at back of camera, recompose take shot, look at camera, on and on it goes until you get something close to what you want.

untitled-612 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

The cat thought she would help me with editing and uploading the photo, so she laid down on the mouse pad and mouse.

2017-09-15_06-38-44 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Last edited:
You - great idea for the theme, really like it but the mono conversion is perhaps a tad dark for me. Love the cat photo, it's obviously why the internet was invented :)

I actually quite like the darks of the mono...
But dude, really, get yourself a decent (bigger) monitor! Makes PP sooo much easier.....

But dude, really, get yourself a decent (bigger) monitor! Makes PP sooo much easier.....

:agree:
Maybe not easier but more comfortable for sure

I think that there are pros and cons to both, the bricks in the pavement are better lit in the first and it has a bit of space at the top but the sides of the arch are cropped and there is that down-spout. In the second the arch is a bit tight at the top but I think I'd go for that one.

I think that there are pros and cons to both, the bricks in the pavement are better lit in the first and it has a bit of space at the top but the sides of the arch are cropped and there is that down-spout. In the second the arch is a bit tight at the top but I think I'd go for that one.
Agree, they are both a bit of a compromise, any wider on the first one and there would have been a quarter of a window in each top corner. Any higher on the second one and there is a bloody great spot light (having thought about it, i could just have got rid of it in ps). I have taken a lot of the highlights out of brick, maybe i'll take the exposure down on them with an adjustment brush.

Actually prefer the first one; the view through the arch and the leading line to the path gives a more complete composition for me. Yes the downpipes are a nuisance but offset by the warm light on the stonework. nice place to live, milord;)

Tough choice. I think I prefer the arch as seen in the second photo - the shape is les obstructed and I think the light shining on the further part of te wall draws my eye in and gives it slightly more depth. However the view through the arch is far better in the first. Checking back through your recent photos there are some corkers. I really like the shoes for contrast but the splashing strawberry is just brilliant.

Liking the ring shot, a glossy mag might use that ... wondering if the ring could be a candidate for selective colour.

Arch ... yep, pros and cons to both ... but preferring the BG in #1

Both are nice shots but I think I prefer the first one as the view through the arch to the garden is nicer

Occupation - I prefer the 2nd one as a picture but for the theme I think it has to be the first. Shame he didn't have a better colour tent, he does look a bit orange :D
You - Very good idea and well worth all the effort. I like the comp and it works well in B&W
Arch - I think the 2nd one edges it for me. I like the bit of greenery around the front, it softens the edge a bit. The first one is mainly spoilt by the dodgy drain pipe

:D

Occupation is an engaging image, Dominic, and although the red/orange awning seems to have left a slight tint on everything below it I think it adds a warmth, which hints at the heat from the cooking process. #2 is an interesting image with precise focus on the olives, but I think you're right that #1 is more fitting for the actual theme title.

You is a clever idea for the theme and I can imagine how much work went into getting something in the camera that matched the image in your head. Well done (y) I smiled at the pic of your little helper as I had one who would do that, and she was a pretty tortoiseshell too. Cats are very good at making the world revolve around them :)

Two lovely arches to choose from, and two nice images. Both arches frame a pretty view, but despite the down spout my eye is drawn more to #1 and the path winding away out of sight. You live and work in a lovely setting :)

Display
Right this is quite a big deal for me, as i am very self-conscious about getting my camera out in public spaces. It's not such a problem where you expect people with cameras to be e.g. zoo's, air shows, the beach etc. It's more a problem for me when it's street type of photography. I feel uneasy pointing my camera at people i have no connection to, but i do like street photography photos. So today i forced myself to take the camera with me into town to hopefully get some shots for this weeks theme. I didn't feel as bad as i thought i would and realised that people don't really take much notice of you. In fact the more people there are the less you are noticed.
So here's a shot i did manage to get, i hope it isn't to much of a shoe horn, as they are Displaying there veg for sale.

untitled-642.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Well done Dom for braving the street. Certainly fits the theme. Colour might have made it brighter but I suspect it would have distracted from their faces:)

You are not alone about taking photos of strangers as I'm in the same boat as you and just don't feel comfortable with 'street photos' genre shots. You've done well and very on theme too. Merchants displaying their merchandise. The black and white treatment works too and also like the idea of including the two sellers.

I like that a lot Dom, and I fully get what you mean about pointing a full fat DSLR at the public....but thats a great shot with good contrast and lots of detail...

Hi Dom,

Occupation - #1 for me. Whilst I like the array of food in #2, #1 is more on theme as the gent is obviously the subject rather than his wares.

You - A little bit too low-key for me. Can't have been easy to do, were you using a timer as you seem to be using both hands.
Just a thought. Could you have tethered to a laptop, that way you wouldn't have to keep going back to the camera.
LOL at the cat. Ours does like to sit exactly where you don't want him too.

Arch - I think I prefer #2. The modern additions such as the tap are less in obvious.

Display - Works nicely in B&W. I'm going to mention your non vertical verticals though...
I know what you mean about street. Even though I take photos at Cosplay/Anime events where it's the norm, you still get butterflies at first. Once you start though, it's easier.

Definitely Arch #2 for me Dominic ...that drainpipe just spoils the beautiful stonework on the first one.
I know just what you mean about street photos, I love seeing them but never feel happy taking them, in fact that's why my first attempt at a project on here came to an abrupt halt. That one works perfectly for the theme ...well done for taking the plunge.

Not a shoehorn at all in my humble opinion. I guess I know why you when with mono but I would prefer to see some colour in the veg. Well done for getting out and doing some street.

Nice work for display Dom, glad you braved getting your camera out in public to get the shot. I keep thinking about having a go at street photography and the same thing bothers me

Back