weekly Phil the Juggler's 2018 '52 - Week 4 - Over

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all - having only completed one '52 (in 2010) I'm going to do my best to complete this one!

I'll always make two posts a week - one with the photo, a second with technical details etc.

I'll create quick links to the photos here:

Week 1: Gate
Week 2: People
Week 3: Stark
Week 4: Over

Last edited:
Week 1 - Gate

p2701792741-6.jpg

Last edited:
Week 1 - Gate - details

I headed out to the only impressive gate I could think of which was within reach of my work address during Friday lunchtime.

My idea was to get a shot of the whole gate and then some close-up elements and details.

I combined three shots on the 1DsIII / 16-35 f4 L IS in Photomatix and then added the close-ups in Photoshop. The close-ups were on the 6D with the 100mm f/2.8 IS Macro.

The bottom-centre looked a little empty so I found an Althorp crest but needed to add a black outline to make it stand out.

Thanks for looking!

Phil

Plenty of effort gone into it so top marks for that, personally I find the processing is a bit cold and stark.

That's a nice idea for the shot Phil, and really pleased to see you back in with your explanations, there is always bits there for people to learn from !!!

I like the close in elements showing the vivid colour and finer detail, I sure hope you stay in for the full 52 (y)

I like your idea of including some of the details but it doesn't really work for me. I like the main picture of the gate but I might have had it a little lower in the shot to include more of what looks like a very dramatic sky.:D

I like the main image, but I think the extra images make it look too much like an advert, to me. The logo in the front detracts from the image too much.

Hi Phil, nice image and the details are well done. I'd quite like to see the image of the desolate gate on it's own I think that would be pretty cool and tell a story without the extras (y)

Is it fate..or coincidence that i was looking back through this group (pages 30 and beyond) and the name Phil the Juggler stood out a few times.. and lo, you're back for a 52 in 2018 (y). spoooky..

Great opening shot of the gates btw, love the detail in the stone work

Welcome back, Phil. I honestly can't make my mind up whether I like the combination of images, but it's clear that you had a firm idea of the image you wanted to create and you have achieved it with a striking final result. I do like the desaturated image of a very impressive series of gates, and I like all the individual details too, with the bright gold colours standing out well, but I feel I would still like to see an image of the gate without the extra details and crest.

Sorry, that's not great commenting is it, but I think all I'm trying to say is I like the subject, your idea and the result, but I might have preferred a less complicated treatment. :confused: It is a jolly fine gate too, one of the most impressive and slightly foreboding that I've seen.

Welcome back to the 52 corner.

Gate(d) - I like this alot, it does look like an impressive gate, love the detail in the sky, I like the smaller images in the corners of the main image showing parts of the gates detail wonderful interpretation of the theme.

That's an imposing gate. I really like the fine detail shots and can see why you wanted to include them but do think they slightly distract from the main image which is a shame as it is a strong image on its own.

Hi all.

Many thanks for all the comments. I felt a straight-shot of the gate would have been an easier option and I wanted to push myself on the '52 - in this case trying to improve my Photoshop skills in creating a composite - I was kind of going for the 'advert' style in the image.

For those who'd prefer the straight shot - here it is with a increase in saturation from the original submission:

p2702948500-6.jpg

Hi Phil, Like the second shot much more. Lots of work in the first and some interesting techniques. The second has a more wintery, desolate atmosphere absolutely on theme for January

Hi all.

Many thanks for all the comments. I felt a straight-shot of the gate would have been an easier option and I wanted to push myself on the '52 - in this case trying to improve my Photoshop skills in creating a composite - I was kind of going for the 'advert' style in the image.

For those who'd prefer the straight shot - here it is with a increase in saturation from the original submission:

p2702948500-6.jpg

Now that to me is a damn sight better, the view of this gate is in full view and the moody sky sets it off :) Maybe just make the watermark a bit smaller but still better though.

The second is for me, for all the reasons stated by other before me.

Pete

Composite doesn't quite work for me, and the second version is a bit tightly framed at the bottom in my opinion. I think I would prefer #1 without the comp. Very moody sky and great symmetry, well composed.

Hi Phil and welcome

Three shots combined like HDR ... very nice, sort of sharp and dreamy at the same time. (y)

Not keen on the addition of the four corner images.

Last edited:
Gate
I like the composition and the additional close up's, but I'm not sure about the pp. It's a bit marmite.

Week 2 - People

p2715238641-6.jpg

Week 2

I usually like to photograph something new but this week I decided to revisit some model shoots I'd done in past and put together a composite.

Said 'Stark' to me and I used a silhouette style exposure to emphasize the point!

Nice one (y) ... whilst on the lookout for barbed wire I was also weighing up spiked fences for impaling people ... stark.

"Excellent" Stark shot Sir, fits the theme exactly.(y)

George.

Back