weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

and don't believe the snake, we know Scotland is always open
A slight breeze and they shut the bridges, cancel the ferries and drop of snow and the snow gates get closed.
But yeah apart from that :p

#2 ... great perspective and ultra wide angle (y)

Stan, what can I say, I turn my back for a couple of days and POW! - love the sunset silhouette, super colours and composition. Then the boats in the marina, wonderful mix of straight lines and curves and colours and contrast etc etc etc. superb stuff. Keep it up!

Apologise for the short coming this week after the last couple of week effect. Not a very interesting submission I'm afraid but I think its theme fitting at least. No blue sky or sunny day to keep the snake @Cobra happy. ;)

Street photography is not to my liking but thats one of the point of this 52 challenge is to take me out of my comfort zone.

Week 49 - (going) Down

Sorry Stan, but whilst on topic, it has no impact (but I guess you knew that).

I agree, street isn't easy (as per my attempt a few weeks back) and I found that an edit improved the shot no end.
I had a 2 minute play in PS, desaturated the images except for the two ladies, then added some vignette and suddenly the image has a focal point.
Have a play and you'll see (I can post my desecration of your image if you want - but it really was a quick dirty edit to see if there was basis for improvement).

(ETA: Not saying my "Down" shot will be any better)

Tim

Last edited:
Sorry Stan, but whilst on topic, it has no impact (but I guess you knew that).

I agree, street isn't easy (as per my attempt a few weeks back) and I found that an edit improved the shot no end.
I had a 2 minute play in PS, desaturated the images except for the two ladies, then added some vignette and suddenly the image has a focal point.
Have a play and you'll see (I can post my desecration of your image if you want - but it really was a quick dirty edit to see if there was basis for improvement).

(ETA: Not saying my "Down" shot will be any better)

Tim

Cheers Tim, I was in the local shopping mall (Paphos) and hoping to snap a couple of quick shots to fit the theme really and wasn't looking for anything special. Very much appreciated and the type of comments and critique I was hoping to received and would love to see your edited version. Would be good to see it post up here for side by side comparison.

It really was a quick & dirty test edit, without much in the way of care taken over the selections, but here you go...
rpn_1 copy.jpg
Selective colouring isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I feel used like this is can bring a picture to life by giving it a focus point.

Excellent idea for the theme Stan ... but not easy (I'm sure) to get right, so many angles, bright colours, reflections .... :runaway:

Tim @LC2 's edit is an improvement. But I'm not sure about the POV. o_O

Last edited:
Great idea for a theme Stan and while I agree with the others, you are absolved you are on holiday after all (y)

Selective colouring isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I feel used like this is can bring a picture to life by giving it a focus point.

Cheers Tim.

Haha, great minds. I was thinking about Selective Colouring of the two ladies too after I read your comments. Looking back I wish I've set a slower shutter speed to achieve a bit of movement blurs in the ladies and steps.

Hi, sorry not sure on the angle either, but certainly on theme

Hi Stan. Certainly the PoV is looking down so spot on theme. A bit of action, a spot of colour, some reflections, angles ... got a lot going for it. :clap:

Hi Stan,
Habit: Liking the the mono shot. As has been said, I think it may benefit a tighter crop though;
Covered: I agree with others that it's a bit busy but it looks soon warm and inviting and fits the theme perfectly (y) but then I saw the sunset one. What fantastic colours :clap:
Connected: I like these too. Nice detail on the connected parts. Good DoF.
Down: I like the idea and the edit by Tim is a good line of thought.

It's the second one for me nice details of the sky it's a pity you didn't have a wider lens to get really close to the knot.

Looks great there.

Down, on theme nice angle, a bit busy though it's a pity you couldn't get something from the bottom and the background out of the frame.

Nice submission nonetheless.

cheers

Last edited:
Everytime I've been on holiday I've struggled to get a shot to fit the theme (remember my submission for crowd :p) so you've done well to get this one in. It is very busy but I like all the angles and you've done well with what looks like varied ligting (y)

Hi Stan, they can't all be winners! - but look on the bright side, you can relax now, it's ages till Friday! (y)

Hi Stan. Good grief, is this the box of a serial sewer? How colourful .... organised of course; can you imagine the bedlam is it wasn't. Wow. Well done Stan.

Too cold (only 0 deg) to venture outside for photography after 3 weeks in the sun. (ok, I'm lightweight) Indoor shot for this week.

Mrs rpn's sawing box.
I thought this was a sawing box Stan ;)
Wayne-Alan-magic-show-lady-saw-in-half.jpg

(No it's not my image!!!)

Anyway... Nice colourfull image, I like the way you've used subtle vignetting to direct the eye.
It looks fairly sharp, but it's very hard to tell at that resolution as the writing on the reels is blurred.
By the way... Why photobucket and not flickr?

Organised, Mrs rpn, certainly is!
( I bet its yours really Stan :D )
A nice colourful take on the theme (y)

Hi Stan. Good grief, is this the box of a serial sewer? How colourful .... organised of course; can you imagine the bedlam is it wasn't. Wow. Well done Stan.

Thanks Carl. She not really into sewing as making new items but more into alternations and repairs for family and friends.

I thought this was a sawing box Stan ;)

Anyway... Nice colourfull image, I like the way you've used subtle vignetting to direct the eye.
It looks fairly sharp, but it's very hard to tell at that resolution as the writing on the reels is blurred.
By the way... Why photobucket and not flickr?

Cheers Tim, that was my aim is to direct attention to the organised reels. Been using Photobucket for a while before I came across Flickr so just stick with them. I do use Flickr every now and again.

Haha cheers Chris. Don't know how you found me out. Actually I wasn't in Cyprus the past few weeks I was in Vietnam working as here.
LOL :D

Cheers, Stan....

That's one very organised Mrs you have there... Lovely colours, lovely vignette. Not sure about the carpet colours, but it sure made a good background. And that tomato pin cushion is to die for! :LOL:

Hi Stan ... yes I think that says Organised ... certainly the most organised sewing box I've ever seen. No sure about the pov, what you've included and what you haven't. :thinking:

I can see where Dean is going from with the carpet, and as someone who likes nice clean BGs, I rather like this; gives it character.

Our sowing box looks like someone chucked a hand grenade in it :)

Cheers.

Cheers, Stan....

That's one very organised Mrs you have there... Lovely colours, lovely vignette. Not sure about the carpet colours, but it sure made a good background. And that tomato pin cushion is to die for! :LOL:

Thanks Nora, Dean @Dark Knight also commented about the carpet too. Actually its a rug anyway I was trying to cover up the wooden floor background but don't have a tablecloth or cloth material of that size so ended up using the rug instead.

Hi Stan ... yes I think that says Organised ... certainly the most organised sewing box I've ever seen. No sure about the pov, what you've included and what you haven't. :thinking:

I can see where Dean is going from with the carpet, and as someone who likes nice clean BGs, I rather like this; gives it character.

Our sowing box looks like someone chucked a hand grenade in it :)

Cheers.

Thanks David and Andy

Well done with the sewing box, very organised, I think the rug background is fine, gives it an air of domesticity and the box stands out well against it, interesting crop as well.

Well done with the sewing box, very organised, I think the rug background is fine, gives it an air of domesticity and the box stands out well against it, interesting crop as well.

Hi Stan. Liking Organised. I quite like the BG and composition as I think it puts it into context.

Thanks Chris and Lee, that was my exact thoughts behind using the rug background idea is to having some material of similar kind like clothe or texture material.

Back