weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

A technique that I haven't attempted before and always want to try and experiment with; Focus Stacking. This is a series of eight macro images each focused at different distance on the skeleton watch then stacked and blended together to extend the apparent depth-of-field.

Week 16 - Experiment with Focus Stacking

Hi Stan

Sound.....oh yes , oh yes , oh yes.... nuff said :clap: as for giving up.......Bryan Adams put it quite well..Don't give up, you don't have to, gotta do what you wanna do..... ;)

Experiment...excellent work Stan , even more so for a 1st attempt :clap: ( I keep meaning to try it but get bored ) I can spot only one teeny error....the gold bevel between 9 & 11 not rightbut hey...you've done a far better job than I would have done,.....must have the patience of a saint (y)

I think that using a theme title like this to try something new is to be applauded. Like Lynne, I wouldn't have the patience for this, so well done!

I didn't spot the soft areas until I saw the above commments and took a second look. Very cool subject.

Hi Stan

Sound.....oh yes , oh yes , oh yes.... nuff said :clap: as for giving up.......Bryan Adams put it quite well..Don't give up, you don't have to, gotta do what you wanna do..... ;)

Experiment...excellent work Stan , even more so for a 1st attempt :clap: ( I keep meaning to try it but get bored ) I can spot only one teeny error....the gold bevel between 9 & 11 not rightbut hey...you've done a far better job than I would have done,.....must have the patience of a saint (y)

Thanks Lynne, I'm trying hard to keep on biking.

I notice that too when I pp the image. Not sure I should've taken one more shot with focus on that part of the watch or due to artefacts which is typical with the technique.

Yeah, what Lynne said and also the OOF bit on the left strap.

Good first attempt (y)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, I'm happy enough with my first attempt.

I think that using a theme title like this to try something new is to be applauded. Like Lynne, I wouldn't have the patience for this, so well done!

I didn't spot the soft areas until I saw the above commments and took a second look. Very cool subject.

Thanks Ian.

Nice work with the stacking. (Gorgeous watch, too btw). A really good effort for a first attempt. Trying to get into this myself (using Helicon Focus) so know how tricky it it to get bob on, so appreciate the effort you put in ... What are you using?

totally love the watch - the stacking - well going to read up and find out what that means! :)

Nice work with the stacking. (Gorgeous watch, too btw). A really good effort for a first attempt. Trying to get into this myself (using Helicon Focus) so know how tricky it it to get bob on, so appreciate the effort you put in ... What are you using?

totally love the watch - the stacking - well going to read up and find out what that means! :)

Thanks Sara and Michalene.

I used a 105mm Macro lens manual exposure and focusing. Settings were f8 for maximum sharpness, 1/20 shutter speed fired by remote at 100 ISO. The first shot focus point was the crown then just move the focus point along the watch with the last shot focused at X (10 o'clock). Looking back I should've taken one more shot. Processed in PS CS6 and finally crop out the artefacts at the edges.

Hi, nicely done couple of defects which have been mentioned have only tried it once myself but made a right hash of it
well done for trying something new (y)

Stan as said with the sound shot super angle and really clean shot.
great first attempt on focus stacking it something i have been playing with myself now i have worked out how to do it it really makes a difference to shots (y)

Hi Stan,

Experiment - clever idea for the theme. I've read about this but I don't think I'd have the patience and I know I don't have the skill to do this. Nicely done - lovely watch by the way :)

Experiment.

I know nothing about focus stacking, but the image is lovely.

I do know I have a fetish for watches....and I've coveted this one for a while. I love skeleton movements.

Stan .. I see your 8 ooc ... but can't see the end result. o_O

Stan as said with the sound shot super angle and really clean shot.
great first attempt on focus stacking it something i have been playing with myself now i have worked out how to do it it really makes a difference to shots (y)

Thanks Simon, glad you like the shots. Any handy tips or hints you like to share?

Hi Stan,

Experiment - clever idea for the theme. I've read about this but I don't think I'd have the patience and I know I don't have the skill to do this. Nicely done - lovely watch by the way :)

Thanks Lorraine, the skill part is minimal I just sit back and let PS to take over the post processing.

Machine is a lovely old bit of kit. I love the combination of corrosion, moss & concrete. The composition has a wierd, but cool effect, leading you both through the door, and down the river to the bridge.

I like the bold simplicity of Alphabet, the triptych works well.

Sound does the trick. I still remember the first time I saw that kind of set up on the MV Augusta... It just screams 'big noise'. Central composition works.

I had to google focus stacking. The final shot belies the amount of work that's gone into it, but it's a lovely result. I don't mind the little oof bits, the seem to fit with macro shots.

good experiment :) I would never have the patience lol, but useful to learn I think

Experiment.

I know nothing about focus stacking, but the image is lovely.

I do know I have a fetish for watches....and I've coveted this one for a while. I love skeleton movements.

Thanks Ruth. Watches, I've too many according to SWBO.

Thanks David, the 8 individual shots show the different focus point on the watch.

Machine is a lovely old bit of kit. I love the combination of corrosion, moss & concrete. The composition has a wierd, but cool effect, leading you both through the door, and down the river to the bridge.

I like the bold simplicity of Alphabet, the triptych works well.

Sound does the trick. I still remember the first time I saw that kind of set up on the MV Augusta... It just screams 'big noise'. Central composition works.

I had to google focus stacking. The final shot belies the amount of work that's gone into it, but it's a lovely result. I don't mind the little oof bits, the seem to fit with macro shots.

Thanks Nick for the nice words.

good experiment :) I would never have the patience lol, but useful to learn I think

Thanks Summer. When I saw the theme for this week I thought I would try something new to experiment with.

I'd say that's a very successful experiment! A great finished image and well done on all the work that must have gone into what initially looks like a very simple shot (y)

When I saw this in the photo thread I thought 'Stan's been playing with focus stacking' I think that for a first attempt it's fab and something I have never tried so spot on for experiment from me (y)

I'd say that's a very successful experiment! A great finished image and well done on all the work that must have gone into what initially looks like a very simple shot (y)

Thanks Elaine, I'm happy enough with my first attempt too.

When I saw this in the photo thread I thought 'Stan's been playing with focus stacking' I think that for a first attempt it's fab and something I have never tried so spot on for experiment from me (y)

Thanks Jill, you know your photos.

Nice work Stan, and nice watch too.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Ah ... I can see it now ... must have been a Photobucket blip when I looked last time.

Hey that's good. :)

Image of chillies on fire came to mind when I saw this week's theme. However, setting fire to chillies, well fresh ones anyway are not that straight forward and not as easy as I thought. This is my best attempt so far but not 100% happy with the result. If time permitting this week I may have another go later.

Week 17 - Heat

Hi Stan ...yes, I guess that is difficult when they're fresh. The flame and the smoke look great and I like the lighting to the side, but I don't think the background is 'black' enough, I can see something there and it's a bit distracting. A smashing idea for the theme though.

Hi Stan.

Fab image for the theme. It's good to see how all the chilli images differ so much.
I agree with Susie about the background, and I've just seen that mine is suffering rom the same thing so I too might have to have another tinker :)

here I am Mrs Contrary lol, the BG looks fine on my screen...you did really well to get the smoke in the shot too, I find smoke pics really hard to get right. The flame is perhaps a little duller than I would expect but the lighting on the chilli is just right :)

Chillies seem to be very popular this week, fire and the smoke work well not too sure on the position of the chilli in the frame

Hi Stan ...yes, I guess that is difficult when they're fresh. The flame and the smoke look great and I like the lighting to the side, but I don't think the background is 'black' enough, I can see something there and it's a bit distracting. A smashing idea for the theme though.

Hi Stan.

Fab image for the theme. It's good to see how all the chilli images differ so much.
I agree with Susie about the background, and I've just seen that mine is suffering rom the same thing so I too might have to have another tinker :)

Thanks you Susie & Ruth for the comments. Now that's strange with the background it looks completely pitch black in a Macbook and iMac but not with PC when at work.

Hi Stan,

I agree with Susie & Ruth, it's a cracking shot, bang on for the theme :)

Thanks Lorraine.

here I am Mrs Contrary lol, the BG looks fine on my screen...you did really well to get the smoke in the shot too, I find smoke pics really hard to get right. The flame is perhaps a little duller than I would expect but the lighting on the chilli is just right :)

Thanks Summer, you are not using a Mac by any chance? (post #348). It was a struggle just to get the fire started never mind trying to keep it going.

I really like the Heat shot Stan, and on my Mac the 'lines' in the bg are only visible if I tilt the screen right forward. Love the placement and lighting and really does make me feel the heat. So hot its smokin :D

nope, plain old IBM :) I do have a very fancy calibrated monitor with a top of the range graphics card though :p

Reactions: rpn
Hi Stan :)

Sorry, a bit behind on yours to say the least :( so here we go...

Crowd - Certainly looks like somebody is not happy, well spotted :)

Close Up - Nice colours on this, and the vignette suits very well too, also liking the highlights, nice image this (y)

Machine - Lots of angles going on in this shot, I'd prefer to see focus more aimed on the actual cogs with a shallower DoF, still a good subject for the theme :)

Sound - Ooooo very nice, liking this triptych a lot, the spacing of the 3rd element bugged me at first, but it is on the thirds of it's own section so re-looking not so closely I actually like it where it is - Super Set (y)

Alphabet - Again I really like this one, the bright red center works really well for me, also liking the variety of fonts chosen, no crit and another (y) from me again

Sound - Nicely lined up this one, good focus on the pipes and the branches/sky set them off nicely :)

Experiment - Great effort this one, would love to try this, liking your PoV and the great detail you have picked up, the little bits don't matter for me... I'd be chuffed with this, great one :clap:

Heat - Love the deep colours on this and the highlights, the wavy smoke rounds off a great image, good to see it all done as one shot, spot on mate (y)

Back