weekly Viv1969's Try at 52....The Sequel....2016 Week 50, 51 & 52.... And finished

Nice work Viv and you've given me a great idea for fun at work. Now where did the kids leave the cress seeds?
My only observation would be I might have tried to keep the cress closer together so that it was all in focus, with the rest of the untouched keys oof.

:LOL: very good Ruth, it raisin'd a smile (y)
( :coat: )

Thanks Chris, but....groan :D

Ha Haaaaa Ruth what a great fun shot again, doesn't take any working out that one (y)

Ta very much :D

Excellent reason to eat Gu deserts Ruth :) love your fun take on the theme.

Gu desserts don't take much excuse making tbh!! :D

(Current affairs) ......... {groan} ... didn't see that coming... lol

Hehehe....I couldn't resist!

Hi Ruth, that's funny :) A very creative shot and as you say, it's not an easy week...

Personally, I find the lighting to be a bit too "on axis", i.e. from just above the camera? If you'd been able to get it at more of an angle I think it could have created a bit more texture in the subjects? Otherwise, it's well composed and well taken - a good job.

You're right, a different comp might have worked well.
Burds have eaten all me currants now though :D

Ha Ha love the thinking behind this one Ruth, I do find the BG a bit too bright but over I really like it

Thanks very much!

Topical - a very funny take on the theme, not sure I can add anything to what's already been said.

Thanks Mandy. :)

:LOL:

Another very clever idea Ruth - it made me groan out loud! I'm not quite sure about the shadowing on the bg just on the right hand side - I think maybe I'd prefer it not to be there or to be more even - but that may well be my screen.

Couldn't quite nail the light, that's for sure.

PMSL.....when I first saw image I thought Ruth has finished sniffing, onto eating, :D
well thought out nice compo well taken:)

You've certainly got me properly sussed out :LOL:

Current affairs. Sweet.. :)

The birds thought so afterwards!....Thanks :LOL:

Hi Ruth, loving you idea for the Topical theme, super lighting and perfect aperture.

Much appreciated, many thanks.

am still giggling :clap:

Excellent....that was the aim!

Dangerous - Wow - two great images and wonderfully different. Both are really well composed, lit and captured, can't chose between them - well done :)

Topical - made me giggle,very good Ruth - bravo ! :D

Thanks very much Jon :D

Is that because you lovingly c'ress your keyboard?

:D

Mate, you just get worse!!
Thanks for looking :D

Dangerous - What a fantastic shot, the lines on the glass are brilliant, I guess you couldn't find a razor blade then :) Very creative idea well taken and exposed great reflections too.
Topical - Current affairs :) clever take well done.
Living world - Another very creative shot, I see a pattern in your 52 :)

Thanks Steve.
A pettern DOES seem to be emerging doesn't it? :D

Nice concept & composition Ruth - nature v man and all that. (Hope you enjoyed the plain egg sandwich). :)

Ha! I'll have you know I spent 24p on a pot of cress for this!!
(THEN I made the sandwich :LOL: )

HA! Excellent .... You are good at this. :D

Thanks very much! VEry nice thing to say :)

Left field, but I rather like it. Closer crop maybe.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Yes closer would probably have worked too :)

Like that Ruth, the cress is an ideal size for the keyboard

Many thanks Chris.

Was there Egg with that Cress - looks like my keyboard at lunch time :D

*Sends keyboard wipes to DK* :D

i like it, classic prank to play on people ;)

Thanks for commenting :)

I like it, fun idea and the green leaves really stand out well against the black keyboard. Hope you managed to get it all out afterwards :)

Who cares....not my keyboard, that's the trick ;)

Is that because of lack of use? ;)

Cheeky beezum!!

Hi Ruth, a quick catch-up from me as this is my first visit to your thread. I'm still catching up with my themes but thanks for dropping into my thread and I'll try to keep up to date with yours in future!

Old - a great subject choice for this theme, and the skin textures and choice of B&W really fit well. I like your placement of the eye and the square crop, too.
Metal - another good subject choice! Lots of lovely shiny metal surfaces in close quarters, and you've made good use of the macro tubes for this one. Another that really suits B&W to bring out all the different tones.
Captive - great props, and I like the deep blacks and narrow DOF. I see others have commented about the point of focus and room at the edges, but the fact that there are so many choices about how we make our images is what makes the final image so personal. This is a striking image that leaps off the screen.
Miniature - clever idea (y) Lovely bright colours, well lit, and I like the way the yellow of the flower centres is echoed in the cotton.
Happy - I'm struggling with one at the moment so I know how it can feel. However.... this is really good! Love the happy face and the simplicity of the image, yet the way the egg's colour contrasts with the others and your use of DOF makes this far from ordinary.
Abandoned - a clean image that conveys the theme very well, and it's another where your composition and choice of B&W is spot on.
Camouflage - excellent idea and nice humour too. Although the colour version is the most striking and funniest, the B&W obviously works best for this theme. Good lighting, too.
Danger - both immediately striking with the use of bright red, both great ideas and well lit again :clap:
Topical - another clever and funny idea; I do like your thinking, both for the image and "Currant affairs" :)
The Living World - well set up and captured. The green stands out very clearly against the black.

I've enjoyed catching up with this, not least because my first instinct is to head outside for images for themes whereas you're clearly comfortable setting up inside, which is something I need to work on. I will definitely be following you and looking forward to more (y)

Wow Andrea, thank you for that massive catch up!!
Thanks also for your lovely comments, I'm just pleased people are liking them :)

A really nice idea well executed.

Thank you very much :)

Nice work Viv and you've given me a great idea for fun at work. Now where did the kids leave the cress seeds?
My only observation would be I might have tried to keep the cress closer together so that it was all in focus, with the rest of the untouched keys oof.

I wanted to use much more cress, and much more of the keyboard, but it wilts within seconds and I ran out of patience!! :LOL:

Hehe cool idea made me smile

Excellent....thanks for commenting Ruth.

Works well a good idea and as always well executed, I know its been set up but nature has a habit of taking the strangest things over

Week 10....Spiky
Torn btween 2 this week, so lobbing both into the mix.

Both work, really like the reflections of the forks emphasizes the spikiness, and the composition of the two teezles, both very good images

Now you are just teaseling us aren't you ?

Gotta say though that's that's a forking good set of reflections Ruth (y)

Great effort again, love the reflections with the forks but I'm gonna break ranks here as I prefer the spiky teezles. Still both great images and bang on brief.

Both work, really like the reflections of the forks emphasizes the spikiness, and the composition of the two teezles, both very good images

Thanks...the forks are my favourite too.

They're both well executed and fit the theme very well, but for me the stand out image is the first because of those long, sharp reflections. Very eye-catching!

Many thanks for dropping in :)

Now you are just teaseling us aren't you ?

Gotta say though that's that's a forking good set of reflections Ruth (y)

Thanks Chris, I rather forking like them too :D

Another brilliantly creative shot with your cress, Ruth (y) i like both of your spiky shots, but I think the forks win for me - I love the composition on this one.

Thanks Emma :)

Great effort again, love the reflections with the forks but I'm gonna break ranks here as I prefer the spiky teezles. Still both great images and bang on brief.

Thanks! It's good to know both are appreciated.

Like both but is #1 reflections or photoshop effect?

The reflections are real. Taken using the same mirror as my drugs shot earlier.
I'm the first to admit my pp skills are severely limited, and generally involve things like levels, curves....the basics.
I honestly lack the skills or the patience for major league manipulation.

Hi Ruth

Topical: After all the groaning, it's well set up and taken.

Living World: Like it - I mentioned on someone else's thread I'd considered taking weeds growing through pavements and this is in a similar vein.

Spiky: Prefer the forks, they're a bit different. Nicely composed.

Topical - hahaha omg currant affairs. You are so clever and funny! :) I love it! And I love how you’ve arranged the currants to look like people in a line.

Living World - Brilliant! Totally love it. Who would have thought of making vegetables grow out a keyboard! :) Love the composition and dof!

Spiky - First one is rather artsy, but the stretched tines in the reflection make me feel a bit disturbed and uncomfortable.. I dunno why! I like the second one for its minimalist look. Just wish it were a bit brighter or had a bit more colour?

Yes, forks for me too Ruth - makes a terrific abstract plus I am a b&w fan. Both terrific shots for the theme. :clap:

Hello Ruth, really like your image for The Living World theme, very creative and well taken,

Spiky, both are well taken images, I prefer the first, mainly as I was thinking along similar lines if I can not pull off my main idea for this theme.

Last edited:
Topical- teehee I like it fits the theme for me.
Living world - nice take on the theme clever and we'll set up.
Spiky - I was going to do a teasle yours is good I like the long stems. But I like the forks and their long reflections more.

Two that work for me. Nice clean BG in #2 and nice detail.

#1 is another good take but if I were to be uber OCD, I'd like the symmetry to be 100%, that is the middle two prongs lined up with the fork handle.

Cheers.

Hi Ruth

Topical: After all the groaning, it's well set up and taken.

Living World: Like it - I mentioned on someone else's thread I'd considered taking weeds growing through pavements and this is in a similar vein.

Spiky: Prefer the forks, they're a bit different. Nicely composed.

Thank you....comments are very much appreciated :)

Topical - hahaha omg currant affairs. You are so clever and funny! :) I love it! And I love how you’ve arranged the currants to look like people in a line.

Living World - Brilliant! Totally love it. Who would have thought of making vegetables grow out a keyboard! :) Love the composition and dof!

Spiky - First one is rather artsy, but the stretched tines in the reflection make me feel a bit disturbed and uncomfortable.. I dunno why! I like the second one for its minimalist look. Just wish it were a bit brighter or had a bit more colour?

Thanks!
I'm enjoying the challenge more this year than last...having fun with it :)

The forks for me Ruth. Whilst they do tend to be a favourite, those reflections are not something I've seen before, so (y)

Cheers!

Yes, forks for me too Ruth - makes a terrific abstract plus I am a b&w fan. Both terrific shots for the theme. :clap:

Thanks Carl :)

Hello Ruth, really like your image for The Living World theme, very creative and well taken,

Spiky, both are well taken images, I prefer the first, mainly as I was thinking along similar lines if I can not pull off my main idea for this theme.

Thanks. I've had the forks in mind for a while now. Was just waiting for the theme!

Hi Ruth ....I do love the forks shot ....wish I'd thought of that !
I feel it needs a tiny tweak to be level but maybe you didn't intend that and it's just my ocd.

Teasel has a super white background and fits the theme perfectly too.

Thanks Susie. Tried many shots to get the forks level top and bottom.
My own OCD can't get past the gap between the forks on the left :LOL:

Topical- teehee I like it fits the theme for me.
Living world - nice take on the theme clever and we'll set up.
Spiky - I was going to do a teasle yours is good I like the long stems. But I like the forks and their long reflections more.

Thank you...the forks do seem to be my winner out of the two :)

Two that work for me. Nice clean BG in #2 and nice detail.

#1 is another good take but if I were to be uber OCD, I'd like the symmetry to be 100%, that is the middle two prongs lined up with the fork handle.

Cheers.

Thanks...I have OCD issues regarding the forks too. I wish my editing skills were better...I could have blagged it! :D

Hi Ruth, the fork image is fab. I really like the composition and overall "image". I'll be honest and say I usually try to avoid OCD problems but making sure I don't shoot anything I have to arrange neatly! But you've done very well for my eyes on this shot. Was it zoomed in / cropped a lot as there's a hint of softness for me to the tips of the tines? Still a cracking image no matter what though :)

Hi Ruth, the fork image is fab. I really like the composition and overall "image". I'll be honest and say I usually try to avoid OCD problems but making sure I don't shoot anything I have to arrange neatly! But you've done very well for my eyes on this shot. Was it zoomed in / cropped a lot as there's a hint of softness for me to the tips of the tines? Still a cracking image no matter what though :)

Thanks Paul.
It's shot with the 50mm, and is cropped a little, but not excessively.
I suspect the softness you speak of is more down to my editing rather than anything else :LOL:

I was umming an awwing about the third image I had for this, and have decided to throw it in as I can't see it coming in handy for anything else :LOL: :D

Oh, I do like this one very much. :) nice lines and shadows! (y)

Wow, that is very very striking. Much better than the other two (which were both already pretty good btw) superb!

Topical - 'current affairs' - great fun shot that works well.
Living World - another interesting take on the theme:clap:
Spikes - The seed heads for me:) but the forks are great as well:clap:

Love that third one Ruth - even more than the others (which are also great). Wonderful composition and such simplicity... I'm about to do the opposite for research / discussion purposes but I just love your image. A fab hallway / corridor picture for me :)

Ruth, just looked through a few more of your images and I think they are so effective, yet simple, the forks are great, the spiky plant things also work well for me.

When thinking of images I think of how simple and effective yours are and then try and replicate this process for the current themes, something that I tried with my apple image.

Keep them coming, I always like to see your interpretations :)

The Fork image for me what a striking yet simple image I really like it the composition with the shadow is great

I love all 3

#1 makes my OCD hurt but don't worry about that.

#2 great detail of unusual kind of teasel.

#3 is a stonker.

:)

Oh, I do like this one very much. :) nice lines and shadows! (y)

Thank you Shaylara!

Wow, that is very very striking. Much better than the other two (which were both already pretty good btw) superb!

Much appreciated Brian :)

living world nice and creative, now is that a new strain of grass;)
like all spiky shots all nicely done,

Many thanks :)

Topical - 'current affairs' - great fun shot that works well.
Living World - another interesting take on the theme:clap:
Spikes - The seed heads for me:) but the forks are great as well:clap:

Thank you. I do like the teasels too :)

Ooooo the forks for me Ruth, love that image - and infact love the second fork image even more (no:3), simple but brilliant that one :clap:

Now a question... where are the 'Fork Handles' ??

Thanks Dean....I'm saving them for another theme! :D

Love that third one Ruth - even more than the others (which are also great). Wonderful composition and such simplicity... I'm about to do the opposite for research / discussion purposes but I just love your image. A fab hallway / corridor picture for me :)

Thanks very much.
I've not had a picture printed in a while.

Ruth, just looked through a few more of your images and I think they are so effective, yet simple, the forks are great, the spiky plant things also work well for me.

When thinking of images I think of how simple and effective yours are and then try and replicate this process for the current themes, something that I tried with my apple image.

Keep them coming, I always like to see your interpretations :)

Wow...thank you so much. That's a very nice thing to say!

I liked your first two images for Spiky, Ruth, but that third one is the best of the set! Really bold and striking. Nice work (y)

Thank you. It seems the shadow image is proving popular :)

The Fork image for me what a striking yet simple image I really like it the composition with the shadow is great

Another huge thank you :)

I love all 3

#1 makes my OCD hurt but don't worry about that.

#2 great detail of unusual kind of teasel.

#3 is a stonker.

:)

My thanks to you too.

Seriously everyone, I really appreciate you all taking the time to look and to leave your (very flattering) comments. :)

I like #3 very much! Great play with light and shadow!

Back