Carl's 2017 TP52 Challenge

Week 1 - Order .... in disorder

Experimenting with moving the camera using the on-board flash with a slow shutter speed ... the detail of the white streaks (reflections off the artist tubes of paint) intrigue me.

Abstract in Oil by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Last edited:
Interesting abstract Carl, order in disorder maybe?

Interesting abstract Carl, order in disorder maybe?
Thanks Mr.C. - I like all the delicate swirls of those white streaks. Simple pleasures ..... Yes, OK I know ......for a simple mind.

Yup, this appeals to me.

I have to work to see what I'm looking at, which is good.

Looks like an abstract landscape with hills, trees and a wonderful sunrise/set.

Cheers.

Oh yes very nice indeed, a lovely colourful abstract with good lighting :)
Thanks David. Fooling around with the camera keeps me amused and out of wifey's way whilst the soaps are on ha ha.

I have to work to see what I'm looking at, which is good.
Looks like an abstract landscape with hills, trees and a wonderful sunrise/set
Thank you Isabelle & Andy. Those light swirls almost act like a veil over the paint tubes don't they ... weird effect - didn't expect that at all.

Last edited:
Its colourful and abstract it looks like it was shot with some kind of netting/material in front of it, interesting indeed

Love the painting reference contained within the painterly photograph, very well done and it makes a great image, the while lines on the goldy-yellow background remind me of grass or wheat.

Ooh - I like that a lot Carl - the white streaks look like feathers against the wonderful colours of the paint tubes. Fascinating to hear how you did it. Much more appealing than my 'experimentation' (ok...mess up!) this week :)

Its colourful and abstract it looks like it was shot with some kind of netting/material in front of it, interesting indeed
Another year and a smashing start Carl, I love it, it looks like a textured artwork, makes a great abstract.
Love the painting reference contained within the painterly photograph, very well done and it makes a great image, the while lines on the goldy-yellow background remind me of grass or wheat.
Cool, looking closely I can just about make out the tubes, a clever idea Carl, and a great result from your experimenting :)
A very different take on the theme. Interesting and very creative shot, overall I quite like it. Lovely colour and lovely tone and the white streaks add interest to the image.
Ooh - I like that a lot Carl - the white streaks look like feathers against the wonderful colours of the paint tubes. Fascinating to hear how you did it. Much more appealing than my 'experimentation' (ok...mess up!) this week :)
Truly creative stuff Carl (y)
Channelling an @Isabelle vibe are we Carl? It is very abstract, and quite pleasing on the eye. I don't mind that the colours are quite washed out in this instance as it suits the image.

Thank you all for your lovely comments ... produced less by creative experimentation than by tomfoolery ha ha.

That's a brilliant photo. At first I didn't know what I was looking at until I discovered the paint tubes. Very clever.

That's a brilliant photo. At first I didn't know what I was looking at until I discovered the paint tubes. Very clever.

Week 1 at my first glance of the image i was trying to work out what it is, but I then read your intro and all becomes clear. Its a good creative take on the theme, I like it :)

Thank you both. Very accidental - I really did not expect those intricate patterns created by the camera movement

Interesting abstract, I also had no idea what it was to start with until I read your description. The more I look at it the more I see in it, makes it a good picture in my mind.

Another great shot from you Carl. I first thought it was shot through some kind of gauze then realised I had to look through what I was seeing to see what was there. (That makes sense to me if no one else :p). Like Andy I thought it was an abstract landscape. Keep fiddling away :D

Love everything about this. The colours the movement everything. I would happily buy a canvas of this. Shows me i really need to be more adventurous in my photography. Lovely.

Interesting abstract, I also had no idea what it was to start with until I read your description. The more I look at it the more I see in it, makes it a good picture in my mind.
That's kind of you - thanks Steve

Another great shot from you Carl. I first thought it was shot through some kind of gauze then realised I had to look through what I was seeing to see what was there. (That makes sense to me if no one else :p). Like Andy I thought it was an abstract landscape. Keep fiddling away :D
Thank you Jill. I do like a fiddle ... strictly in private mind.

Love everything about this. The colours the movement everything. I would happily buy a canvas of this. Shows me i really need to be more adventurous in my photography. Lovely.
That's a very high compliment Debbie ... thank you so much.

I like the figure and the light behind it but it looks a little soft :thinking:

I'm guessing you reposted that because it looks fine to me. An intriguing sculpture with very good lighting makes for a really interesting take on the theme I think

I'm guessing you reposted that because it looks fine to me. An intriguing sculpture with very good lighting makes for a really interesting take on the theme I think

I'm liking the lighting, sharpness looks fine on my phone, will look later on my lappy :)

Thank you both. This is a re-submission following on from Allan & Emma's comments about the original which was soft.

Ignoring the softness of the first the resubmission is very nicely lit, interesting little model should provide lots of different ways to light it.

Just had a look on flickr, nice and sharp for me too, good shot and like the lighting (y)
Thank you David - camera shake with the first submission ... age related ... photographer not camera.

Ignoring the softness of the first the resubmission is very nicely lit, interesting little model should provide lots of different ways to light it.
Thanks ST. You're right - I did try out a few lighting options before settling on this one.

Creative lighting, good colour & texture (y) looks a bit tight in the frame tho.

Smashing choice for the topic Carl, what a lovely figurine, the lighting definitely makes the shot, nice choice of colour it works together really well.
Thanks Susie. It is a very tactile piece which almost impels you to caress it and offer comfort.

Creative lighting, good colour & texture (y) looks a bit tight in the frame tho.
Thanks David. Somehow it seemed appropriate to close crop to lend a sense of oppression - I suppose a more open one would give isolation .........hmmm interesting.

I didn't catch the original image, but the current shot looks good to me, sharp and well lit.
If you zoom into the flickr version, you can see one or two artefacts, around the hand, head, back and in the corners. I would be tempted to edit them out.
Good image for the theme.

I didn't catch the original image, but the current shot looks good to me, sharp and well lit. If you zoom into the flickr version, you can see one or two artefacts, around the hand, head, back and in the corners. I would be tempted to edit them out.
Good image for the theme.
Thanks Tim. I see what you mean ... little white dots. I have "despeckled" in PS and it seems to have done the trick.

Hi Carl.
Initially, this dont work for me, but follwoing the edit, I now really lke it .The lighting is perfect, and I like the shape of the figurine.

I love the lighting and the texture and shape of the figurine. (y)

Back