Carl's 2017 TP52 Challenge

Hi Carl. Initially, this dont work for me, but follwoing the edit, I now really lke it .The lighting is perfect, and I like the shape of the figurine.
Thank you Mark. Light is provided by a tungsten table lamp but temperature tweaked in camera to produce a warm glow

I love the lighting and the texture and shape of the figurine. (y)
Thanks Bernd. Although the surface looks rough, the figurine is actually fairly smooth to touch.

That looks much better - I love the warmth and position of the lighting and I think the tight crop works with the shape of the figure.
Thank you for re-visiting Emma. I changed the lighting slightly from the original .... as well of course as getting the focus right this time ha ha

Looks sharp to me so it must be a repost. Wonderful lighting and detail. Super sculpture. Cheers.

Thanks Andy - got it at the second time of asking. I must try and look before posting next time.

I didn't see the original Carl, but take 2 looks bang on to me, nice lighting too.

I like this figure, but there is something in the bottom left of the image thats distracting me. It does indeed fit the theme and I do like the lighting as well, another image in the bag, can look forward to week 3 now.

I didn't see the original Carl, but take 2 looks bang on to me, nice lighting too.
Thanks Mr.C. Too red-faced to leave the original on display ha ha.

I like this figure, but there is something in the bottom left of the image thats distracting me. It does indeed fit the theme and I do like the lighting as well, another image in the bag, can look forward to week 3 now.
Thanks Mandy. That's my moniker bottom left ... .a motor mechanics clamp forming my initials ha ha.

Really works with the B&W, the break along the the flesh of the coconut adds to the composition well.

Cracking ;) shot!

Well someone had to say it :coat:

Seriously it's a very good choice for the theme, the mono really suits it. Noe and sharp with good details and you have balanced the light well on the inside of the coconut and on the darker outside.

nice pic, works well in mono can only agree with the above comments, not had a fresh coconut in years and they are indeed hairy

Curses!!!!!

I just checked the thread before I went to Tesco, as Coconut was exactly what I had in mind......

Slightly different compo i mind to yours Carl, but I like yours all the better.

Really works with the B&W, the break along the the flesh of the coconut adds to the composition well.
Thank you John - quite hard getting the texture to come out on the flesh. Work in progress as we speak.

Cracking ;) shot! Well someone had to say it :coat: Seriously it's a very good choice for the theme, the mono really suits it. Noe and sharp with good details and you have balanced the light well on the inside of the coconut and on the darker outside.
Thanks Chris. Took quite a few shots to get this far but still fooling around.

nice pic, works well in mono can only agree with the above comments, not had a fresh coconut in years and they are indeed hairy
Thanks Allan. Last minute change of mind ... from kiwi fruit.

On theme, sharp, great lighting, great shot.
That's kind of you, thanks Clive

Great mono and on theme, like it :)
Thank you David.

Curses!!!!! I just checked the thread before I went to Tesco, as Coconut was exactly what I had in mind...... Slightly different compo i mind to yours Carl, but I like yours all the better.
Thanks Mark. It makes a great subject for learning ... I'm still fooling around with it trying to get the texture of the flesh showing up as well as getting the white to look white. Finding it tough going tbh.

love your hairy shot Carl, nice to see some the textures of the coconut, as you've said cant of been an easy one to do.
Thanks Nigel. One of the most difficult things I've tried so far for sure. Good fun trying.

Loving the coconut Carl, nice and crisp detail and well balanced lighting. The only tiny niggle for me is the hairy tail disappearing off the lhs. As for the hairy eyeball I actually snorted out loud when I saw it so have a Jaffa from me :jaffa:

I think both shots are really excellent, the second shot really appeals to my sense of humour. But superb execution on both shots.

LOL at the second hairy Carl :D

Lots of detail in both images, great idea including the hammer in the 1st too.

Great photos for hairy. Nothing to criticise for #1, and I also like you coconut cyclops...

An absolute beaut Carl ... a real hairy coconut, serious looking hammer, excellent detail. :clap:

Loving the coconut Carl, nice and crisp detail and well balanced lighting. The only tiny niggle for me is the hairy tail disappearing off the lhs. As for the hairy eyeball I actually snorted out loud when I saw it so have a Jaffa from me :jaffa:
I think both shots are really excellent, the second shot really appeals to my sense of humour. But superb execution on both shots.
LOL at the second hairy Carl :D. Lots of detail in both images, great idea including the hammer in the 1st too.
I really like this, works really well and an extremely good idea
Nice and sharp on the B&W lots of detail in the hair. (y)
Loving both of them 'Hairy' images Carl, the first for the simplicity, crispness and detail... the second for imagination and fun, liking them both lots :clap:
I really like the thought you put into the wet up of the first - it works really well. The second is a lot of fun - really made me laugh Carl :)
Great photos for hairy. Nothing to criticise for #1, and I also like you coconut cyclops...
An absolute beaut Carl ... a real hairy coconut, serious looking hammer, excellent detail. :clap:

Thank you all so much for taking the time to view and comment ... very encouraging words. It's been years since I last had a Jaffa - thank you @Bruja ...enjoyed every morsel. :)

Loved this the minute I saw it Carl but only just found time to do some comments ...must write a hundred lines .'do not get behind with comments' ...what a nightmare catching up.:eek:
Perfect choice in the black and white ...top notch image ...again :)
I know .. .it's a long haul if you fall behind Susie. Thanks for your kind words as always.

It's a cracker of a shot. Love it's open and the hammer added as a prop too. Well lit and spot on focus. Very nicely done. :clap:
Thanks Stan. Thought I'd add a bit of extra interest with the hammer.

Week 4 - Smooth. Thought I'd try subtle colours against a white bg for this one. These stones have a therapeutic value ... but I've forgotten what precisely :sulk:

Smooth by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back