weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Love the right hand image....The eyes / glasses made me giggle!

Reminds me of a scene out of Breaking Bad :)

Nice idea if not a bit sinister.

Looks a little dark and I thought you were wearing your PJs for a moment ;)

Cheers.

Oh, reshoot, much better.

Thank you ... PJs! one of my favourite Ralph Lauren shirts, but I always did like shirts that look like PJs.

Hi David

great idea for the Experiment theme.....& much as I love those glasses it's the lefthand shot that gets my vote, like the framing ,the yellow of the gloves contrasting against the blue glass & those green stones ( though I too thought they were beans !):clap:
Thanks Lynne

Hi David - your reshoot is a great improvement on the original :clap:

Thanks Lorraine ...

Love the right hand image....The eyes / glasses made me giggle!

Thanks Ruth ... I cardboard cut-out cellotaped to my everyday glasses.

The second take on EXPERIMENT for me. Mad scientist in the background! LOL

Cheers Bob

Ha ha d00d the mad scientist ...I always thought you were a bit odd :D

I love the second one, the first one is much too serious...two is a real fun shot.....a really great choice for the theme.

Nice update on sound by the way.

You always knew I was a bit odd.

hi5.gif

Another good interpretation. Love the colour clash between the hot sauce and the green background. I think I might have let a bit more of the sauce dribble out of the bottle (but that could have got a bit messy!!). Lovely shot.

Another good interpretation. Love the colour clash between the hot sauce and the green background. I think I might have let a bit more of the sauce dribble out of the bottle (but that could have got a bit messy!!). Lovely shot.
Hi d00d I love the simplicity of that shot, I would have been tempted to add more to it, but I think you have this spot on, the lime green background adds to the vibrancy ...nice one :)

Thanks ladies ... yes I agree with Sara, I should have had a drop on the green board .. would have added something. Tho what an open bottle of Tabasco is doing on its side like that I don't know.

Hi d00d, nice take on the theme simple, as above comments bit of sauce on the green would be nice, but the BG works brilliantly nicely lit and framed (y)

Hi David :)

Sound - Right idea for the theme but the first is just too oof for me, sorry :)

The remote macro on the other hand is great, super detail, simple, straight forward and bang on - really like it :clap:

Experiment - Just love this pair of shots the first looks so serious, but the broader image adds a great touch of humor - again excellent one for the theme (y)

Sound re-shoot - Now that's more like it, love the expression caught here :)

Heat - Well set up, great choice of background colour, I'd liked to have seen a drip on the surface itself, other than that, a nice bright image, well lit.... nice one (y)

A bit more sauce for me too in heat David, but then you know I like a bit of Sauce :whistle::whistle:

Nice clean shot and inspired choice of contrasting background (y)

Hi David - great shot for the theme and very well set up. I do agree with the comments about having a splash of the sauce on the background, but it certainly says heat :)

Yeah, this for me. Nice green surface and detail.

Cheers.

Experiment: I loved the right hand shot, but you now owe me a new keyboard ;)
I agree with the other comments that the left hand shot doesn't add anything to the story, albeit that it's a good image in it's own right.

Heat: Nah, tabasco isn't hot, you wanted some of the death by chile sauces from various Burrito sellers. Well shot though.

Hi d00d, nice take on the theme simple, as above comments bit of sauce on the green would be nice, but the BG works brilliantly nicely lit and framed (y)
Thanks Allan ... I'm learning a lot about manipulating natural light, and long exposures.

Sound - Right idea for the theme but the first is just too oof for me, sorry :)

The remote macro on the other hand is great, super detail, simple, straight forward and bang on - really like it :clap:

Experiment - Just love this pair of shots the first looks so serious, but the broader image adds a great touch of humor - again excellent one for the theme (y)

Sound re-shoot - Now that's more like it, love the expression caught here :)

Heat - Well set up, great choice of background colour, I'd liked to have seen a drip on the surface itself, other than that, a nice bright image, well lit.... nice one (y)
Hi DK ... thanks for your commenting catch up. (y)

A bit more sauce for me too in heat David, but then you know I like a bit of Sauce :whistle::whistle:

Nice clean shot and inspired choice of contrasting background (y)
Thanks Jill.

Hi David - great shot for the theme and very well set up. I do agree with the comments about having a splash of the sauce on the background, but it certainly says heat :)
Thanks Lorraine.

Yeah, this for me. Nice green surface and detail.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy

Experiment: I loved the right hand shot, but you now owe me a new keyboard ;)
I agree with the other comments that the left hand shot doesn't add anything to the story, albeit that it's a good image in it's own right.

Heat: Nah, tabasco isn't hot, you wanted some of the death by chile sauces from various Burrito sellers. Well shot though.
Thanks Tim ... new keyboard!! my Alphabet shot, help yourself. ;)

Week 18 Figures

.... and there be Alien Figures at St Govor's Well
18.Figures1c.jpg

Spent many hours fiddling with this shot over the past couple of days ... but learnt a lot about shoppery along the way.

After experimenting with different ideas ... I basically selected the figures and used Pencil Sketch.

St Govor's Well is in Kensington Gardens. It doesn't look level but don't think it's supposed to.

Last edited:
Hi David how's it going?
Experiment... Nice shots, love the use of DOF here. Love the marigolds they look too go a fit to be the wife's :eek:. Cool glasses btw, so have your specimens germinated yet? Well lit.
Reshoot.... Like this shot better than the original. Nice expression on the fiddle player like the black panel and the contrast in the shot.
Nice sharp focus and detail.(y)
Hot... Yep that's hot! Like Sara would like to have seen some dribbling out of the bottle, but hey it's still a nice shot, angle works well and the background sets it up really nice, with lovely even lighting. Works for me!
Figures.... It's amazing what you can do in PS over the years must have spent days playing! Then they bring out more and more tools/functions. A bit surreal but that's all part of the fun. The guy on the left his right leg needs the shadow erasing off the front of it. There is a bit around there heads but that's the really difficult bit:eek:. Nice fun shot .... Just been beamed down:)

Hi David,

figures - oooh I really like this, smashing processing (I keep telling myself to move on from cloning and try out different things, one day...) I thought at first that it was two images combined, they do look like they've just been beamed down :clap: :clap:

Hi David, thanks very much for visiting my thread and commenting so comprehensively, and although I'm trying to catch up fully before visiting lots of other threads I'm here to return the compliment.

I thought Bliss was well arranged and lit, and I also really like the lighting in your image for Fragile, which shows the fine and delicate nature of the cup, especially when set against the gloved fingers. Companions is a clever one with all those contrasts between two different and yet ultimately complementary items, and again beautifully lit.

Your subject for Elegant is just that, and having read the debate about the cropping and vignette I think I prefer it without the vignette at the top while the rest of it works really well. Watery is excellent; your lighting is good again, showing off the liquid in and on the fruity flesh and the crop works well for me. Bold - yes, she certainly is! Love the bold colours and subject, and I prefer the edited background. I like both images for Relax and I think they both fit the theme in different ways, but the second really sums it up very effectively.

I prefer the third version for Vertical because of the calm colours, the light in Mouth is really lovely, while Crowd is excellent with all those figures and chaotic movement, fitting the theme really well and catching the eye then holding the attention. Handheld too!

Light seems to be a strength of yours because it works well in Close-up and especially the first Machine image, and the processing suits both too. Alphabet is great idea and one I hadn't thought of (although my brother came up with it straightaway at the weekend when I said I still needed a subject for that theme!) I like both versions although the second one does accentuate the letters, your violinist is spot on for the difficult Sound, and for Experiment I liked the contrast with blue bottles in the first and the humour of the second.

Heat is a good subject and the contrasting colours work well, although I might have dribbled a little of the sauce out onto the surface to see how that looked (messy, probably!), and Figures is really eye-catching with the contrast between the natural background, the stylised figures and the carved sculpture. I'll be sure to follow your thread for future updates.

Heat - like others, I would have liked a bit more sauce, but otherwise a great image and good choice of bg colour that really pops out at you against the bottle.

Figures - at first glance I actually thought the figures were statues until I realised what you'd done. I know from bitter experience just jow much patience and precision is involved in isolating the main subject(s) from the bg and I think you've made a fantastic job of this. An excellent powerful image (y)

I think the one word that sums that picture up is...
Fantastic.
WOW thanks Tim ... what we like to hear.

Hi David how's it going?
Experiment... Nice shots, love the use of DOF here. Love the marigolds they look too go a fit to be the wife's :eek:. Cool glasses btw, so have your specimens germinated yet? Well lit.
Reshoot.... Like this shot better than the original. Nice expression on the fiddle player like the black panel and the contrast in the shot.
Nice sharp focus and detail.(y)
Hot... Yep that's hot! Like Sara would like to have seen some dribbling out of the bottle, but hey it's still a nice shot, angle works well and the background sets it up really nice, with lovely even lighting. Works for me!
Figures.... It's amazing what you can do in PS over the years must have spent days playing! Then they bring out more and more tools/functions. A bit surreal but that's all part of the fun. The guy on the left his right leg needs the shadow erasing off the front of it. There is a bit around there heads but that's the really difficult bit:eek:. Nice fun shot .... Just been beamed down:)
Thank you for all your positive input Steve, it's appreciated.

Hi David,

figures - oooh I really like this, smashing processing (I keep telling myself to move on from cloning and try out different things, one day...) I thought at first that it was two images combined, they do look like they've just been beamed down :clap: :clap:
Thanks Lorraine I'm pleased you like it. It is two images combined in that I made two copies of the same image, erased every but the humanoids from one of them, did some tweaking then combined the two ... if that makes sense ... anyway, I just make it up as I go along.

Last edited:
Hi David, thanks very much for visiting my thread and commenting so comprehensively, and although I'm trying to catch up fully before visiting lots of other threads I'm here to return the compliment.

I thought Bliss was well arranged and lit, and I also really like the lighting in your image for Fragile, which shows the fine and delicate nature of the cup, especially when set against the gloved fingers. Companions is a clever one with all those contrasts between two different and yet ultimately complementary items, and again beautifully lit.

Your subject for Elegant is just that, and having read the debate about the cropping and vignette I think I prefer it without the vignette at the top while the rest of it works really well. Watery is excellent; your lighting is good again, showing off the liquid in and on the fruity flesh and the crop works well for me. Bold - yes, she certainly is! Love the bold colours and subject, and I prefer the edited background. I like both images for Relax and I think they both fit the theme in different ways, but the second really sums it up very effectively.

I prefer the third version for Vertical because of the calm colours, the light in Mouth is really lovely, while Crowd is excellent with all those figures and chaotic movement, fitting the theme really well and catching the eye then holding the attention. Handheld too!

Light seems to be a strength of yours because it works well in Close-up and especially the first Machine image, and the processing suits both too. Alphabet is great idea and one I hadn't thought of (although my brother came up with it straightaway at the weekend when I said I still needed a subject for that theme!) I like both versions although the second one does accentuate the letters, your violinist is spot on for the difficult Sound, and for Experiment I liked the contrast with blue bottles in the first and the humour of the second.

Heat is a good subject and the contrasting colours work well, although I might have dribbled a little of the sauce out onto the surface to see how that looked (messy, probably!), and Figures is really eye-catching with the contrast between the natural background, the stylised figures and the carved sculpture. I'll be sure to follow your thread for future updates.
Thank you so much for all that Andrea. And I'll be following your thread too.

Heat - like others, I would have liked a bit more sauce, but otherwise a great image and good choice of bg colour that really pops out at you against the bottle.

Figures - at first glance I actually thought the figures were statues until I realised what you'd done. I know from bitter experience just jow much patience and precision is involved in isolating the main subject(s) from the bg and I think you've made a fantastic job of this. An excellent powerful image (y)
and Thanks Elaine. Yes you need patience and you have to enjoy it, what I've learnt is you can do it quite quickly with practice and with using a number of different selection tools.

Wow d00d ...I love this one ....what a spooky looking shot, it's really eye catching ....it makes me want to get back into fiddling around with photos like I used to, it was such good fun, but I've probably forgotten how to do half of it.
Well worth the effort you've put into it this week :clap:a unique take on the theme.

Machine - I prefer #1 as it has a lot more interest as a machine. Maybe a touch more light on the right but not too much as I quite like the feel of that

Alphabet - I’d got for #2 as the green nicely sets of the black and white. I’m a sucker for a shallower depth of field which I think will suit but that’s purely a personal preference

Sound - Good idea for the theme but unfortunately the focus is off on #1. #2 is spot on though

Experiment - I have to say the glasses of the right hand image makes it. Great comedy factor and good use of just the right amount of depth of field

Reshoot - Much better than the original especially given the difficult location

Heat - Good angle on the subject but best of all is the contrasting green and red. Nice one

Figures - I’m not keen on selective colour although this is almost selective B&W. It does make them almost look like a statue in the middle of a park.

Hi d00d, certainly different, it makes the figures stand out, few issues with the cut out but well done for trying something different

Wow d00d ...I love this one ....what a spooky looking shot, it's really eye catching ....it makes me want to get back into fiddling around with photos like I used to, it was such good fun, but I've probably forgotten how to do half of it.
Well worth the effort you've put into it this week :clap:a unique take on the theme.
Thanks susie dearest

Machine - I prefer #1 as it has a lot more interest as a machine. Maybe a touch more light on the right but not too much as I quite like the feel of that

Alphabet - I’d got for #2 as the green nicely sets of the black and white. I’m a sucker for a shallower depth of field which I think will suit but that’s purely a personal preference

Sound - Good idea for the theme but unfortunately the focus is off on #1. #2 is spot on though

Experiment - I have to say the glasses of the right hand image makes it. Great comedy factor and good use of just the right amount of depth of field

Reshoot - Much better than the original especially given the difficult location

Heat - Good angle on the subject but best of all is the contrasting green and red. Nice one

Figures - I’m not keen on selective colour although this is almost selective B&W. It does make them almost look like a statue in the middle of a park.
Thanks Peter ... good to hear from you.

Hi d00d, certainly different, it makes the figures stand out, few issues with the cut out but well done for trying something different
Cheers Al .... It's the alternative cut out.

Figures - Well this is certainly different to say the least, when I first saw it on my phone I was thinking it was of stone statues, now on PC that would have been a hell of a sculptor to create this :D

Anyway, great way to make them stand out, like it :)

@ DK ... (y)

Last edited:
Week 19 ... Household

19.Household.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear - sorry for leaving your thread for soooo long!

Scenic: Very nice. I'm surprised that you're allowed to get that close. I too think a little less sky might work.
Companions: Perfect. Brilliant shot. Maybe a tiny bit dark on the peppercorn side?
Elegant: I see elegance there but the photo doesn't really work for me. Unfortunately, I can't put my finger on why either. Sorry.
Watery: I like this. I like the way it's cropped too. Great fit to the theme.
Bold: A really great fun picture. Pity you couldn't get further round to see her arm.
Relax: The first mono shot for me. Great candid expressions.
Vertical: Not a fan of the selective colour shots really. The Sotheby's one is the best of the bunch though.
Mouth: Good fit to the theme.
Crowd: Like this one. Nice blur and a good BG.
Close up: Wow! Fabulous :)
Machine: Number 1 for me. Nice lighting and colours.
Alphabet: Spot on theme. The edit works really well with the vivid letters.
Sound: I'm going to go with the second shot. Simple and fits.
Experiment: Love it - cracking shot - especially the RH image :)
Heat: Another simple and brilliant image. Perfect as it is for me.
Figures: Nice photo and on theme but doesn't really work for me as an effect unfortunately.
Household: I too like the perspective. Maybe pull the shadows up a bit and crop off some of the top.

Hi, Household, interesting perspective. A little more light on the dark shows, maybe.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, you're right, I tweaked it too much leaving it a bit dark.

Household; agree with what other said about the shadow/dark. Also like to cut out some of the top half, the single plain colour doesn't really add anything to the image IMO
Thanks Stan and Jill @Bruja , you're right ... top half not required.

Oh dear - sorry for leaving your thread for soooo long!

Scenic: Very nice. I'm surprised that you're allowed to get that close. I too think a little less sky might work.
Companions: Perfect. Brilliant shot. Maybe a tiny bit dark on the peppercorn side?
Elegant: I see elegance there but the photo doesn't really work for me. Unfortunately, I can't put my finger on why either. Sorry.
Watery: I like this. I like the way it's cropped too. Great fit to the theme.
Bold: A really great fun picture. Pity you couldn't get further round to see her arm.
Relax: The first mono shot for me. Great candid expressions.
Vertical: Not a fan of the selective colour shots really. The Sotheby's one is the best of the bunch though.
Mouth: Good fit to the theme.
Crowd: Like this one. Nice blur and a good BG.
Close up: Wow! Fabulous :)
Machine: Number 1 for me. Nice lighting and colours.
Alphabet: Spot on theme. The edit works really well with the vivid letters.
Sound: I'm going to go with the second shot. Simple and fits.
Experiment: Love it - cracking shot - especially the RH image :)
Heat: Another simple and brilliant image. Perfect as it is for me.
Figures: Nice photo and on theme but doesn't really work for me as an effect unfortunately.
Household: I too like the perspective. Maybe pull the shadows up a bit and crop off some of the top.
Thank you Lee for your commenting catch-up, I appreciate it. 17!! a lot of catching up. :)

Hey David,

really like your household shot, as mentioned though, i'd crop the top (personally of course) rest of the image is great and really fits the theme well!

Nicely Done!

Heat is a nice shot, the red of the sauce and the green of the BG go well together, and the composition is simple but effective. As others have said, I think a puddle of sauce would improve the shot, but it's fine as it is.

Figures is an interesting idea, and you've made a tidy job of the processing. It has an odd feel, and I like it... The figures look almost stuck on.

Household was a stinker... and you shot shoes!
It says household to me, but I'd be tempted to try and lose some off the top.

I love what you've done for figures - really makes them stand out :)
household, excellent idea for a difficult theme (haven't even had time to think of mine this week :( ) only thing I would say is I would have cropped down to just the shoes, I would have straightened the fallen trainer and exposed more for the dark suede shoes, or used a lighter pair :)

Back