weekly DK's - Photo-52 of 2018 - Week 7 'GUARD' added

Edit My Images
Yes
2018’s 52-week challenge

Thank you for visiting my new thread.

My 2017's 52 is just finished - It will be year 7 for me, and I'm sure it will be a crazily busy year again with everyday work and life commitments as usual, but again as I have been every year determined to keep as up to date as much as I can, to ensure this fabulous hobby ticking along year-round with this project as a bare minimum.

MY RULES
Rule wise - same rules as the previous year’s

I will again allow myself No 'Jokers' and will submit a correct pic for each theme... minor 'shoehorns' or even 'crowbarred' shots will be allowed on occasion

• I will try to post my photo's in the correct week
  • I will complete all themes including 're-shoot' weeks
  • I will try and comment on as many 52 threads as possible, but as all 52'ers know, that's sometimes easier said than done

Good luck everybody - Let the Nightmare continue Fun Begin :wave:

Week 00 - My Area
Week 01 - Gate(d)
Week 02 - People
Week 03 - Stark
Week 04 - Over
Week 05 - Age
Week 06 - Sharp
Week 07 - Guard
Week 08 -
Week 09 -
Week 10 -
Week 11 -
Week 12 -
Re-Shoot 1 -
Week 13 -
Week 14 -
Week 15 -
Week 16 -
Week 17 -
Week 18 -
Week 19 -
Week 20 -
Week 21 -
Week 22 -
Week 23 -
Week 24 -
Re-Shoot 2 -
Week 25 -
Week 26 -
Week 27 -
Week 28 -
Week 29 -
Week 30 -
Week 31 -
Week 32 -
Week 33 -
Week 34 -
Week 35 -
Week 36 -
Re-Shoot 3 -
Week 37 -
Week 38 -
Week 39 -
Week 40 -
Week 41 -
Week 42 -
Week 43 -
Week 44 -
Week 45 -
Week 46 -
Week 47 -
Week 48 -

Re-Shoot 4 -
Week 49 -
Week 50 -
Week 51 -
Week 52 -
Week 48 -
Week 49 -
Week 50 -
Week 51 -
Week 52 -

Last edited:
Happy New Year from sunny;) Suffolk !! I don't know how you manage it all Dean. Thanks for all the work you put in encouraging us newbies, and all your comments during 2017. If only you didn't live in Norfolk:D

Hope you have a good 2018 Dean :cool:
Thanks Dave :)

I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with for 2018.
Cheers Mandy :)

Happy New Year from sunny;) Suffolk !! I don't know how you manage it all Dean. Thanks for all the work you put in encouraging us newbies, and all your comments during 2017. If only you didn't live in Norfolk:D
Hahaaaa thanks John and my pleasure, there has to be a bit of cross border rivalry hey :LOL: maybe we could meet up in 2018 for a theme shoot :)

Happy New Year to you my good man and I hope your 52's are successful.
Cheers Paul

And so onto 2018...

I am hoping to keep posts up to date this year better than last year, this may sound odd but this will involve me lowering my own personal expectations at times and going back to how I started the 52, when constant improvement and getting a quality shot was not top of my agenda, but as the years have gone on I guess I always want to capture a great image, this then puts time pressures as to where I go to achieve this - OR maybe I won't/can't do that :D

Just because I was out and about locally quickly to get me on track it made sense to me to do week 0 as I was local, so ignoring that it is late it was not a compulsory theme, so technically not late.

This is part of a local National Trust area which is just a couple of miles from my home, trying to capture the vastness of the Norfolk Broads and one of the many wind pumps in the distance over the reed beds...

Week 0 - My Area

Week 0 - My Area by TP DK, on Flickr

For this week I took shots at a couple of close locations to choose from, on both images the idea was the same for both, playing with depth of field concentrating on the gates or what is behind them, again just a couple of miles away as time was short, but on editing one was much more effective than the other which ended up too busy/complicated for the eye so I have just the one for you to view :)

Crop wise I have tried to get the sign and gates on the thirds, with some fence leading into the shot and a small clump of reeds and trees filling in the corners of sky, with the boardwalk out of focus but still leading the viewer around a corner... so lots going on.

Week 1 - Gated

Week 1 - Gated by TP DK, on Flickr

Your area is a very fine shot mate, looks a lovely place and is that a windmill in the distance on the right ?
It is a great area yes and also correct to a fashion, that one is another of the broads old wind pumps that were for pumping water rather than milling grain :)
Gate is a good clear shot, looks like a bit of flooding in the BG, like the rusty old nits in the gate and nice blue sky :)
Thanks Dave, yeah I like the rusty bits too :)

Blimey DK, I didn't realise you hadn't posted yet this year...
Your Area - I guess 'twas always going to be the broads. Is that Windmill in the distance the same Windmill we've seen from other angles?
I guess you were waiting for blue skies before taking this, as I imagine flat light across the broads isn't a great photo.
Gated - It certainly had me looking closely at the latching mechanism. Had me a bit puzzled for a while as to how it worked as a lock, before I realised it was a latch.
Nicely lit. Wet leading line, blue skies (y)

Blimey DK, I didn't realise you hadn't posted yet this year...
:p
Your Area - I guess 'twas always going to be the broads. Is that Windmill in the distance the same Windmill we've seen from other angles?
Ahhhh yes correct, that is one of them I visit yes :)
I guess you were waiting for blue skies before taking this, as I imagine flat light across the broads isn't a great photo.
You are not kidding, the same shot with blanket cloud and no light on the reeds is very bleak :D
Gated - It certainly had me looking closely at the latching mechanism. Had me a bit puzzled for a while as to how it worked as a lock, before I realised it was a latch.
Nicely lit. Wet leading line, blue skies (y)
Thank you Tim :)

Two very nice shots to begin your challenge this year, Dean. Your area is such vast and expanse location. An area of UK I've not yet have a chance to visit.

I love the Gated shot with the rustic feel to it. Can't fault the composition or exposure. The latch mechanism seems quite intriguing but quite simple to operate too.

Nice of you to join in :whistle: both good images like the bit of blue water in the first nice bright light from the low sun
the gate pic is very good you have composed it well and again the light is superb a very good start

On the point of getting a great image every week is that possible, I know what you mean but I feel I only get maybe as little as 10 images I am happy with, I do like to put the effort into getting the image technically as perfect as I can, but as to if I like it sometimes I don’t, maybe that’s just me, but I saw last year someone said they were happy with everything they had done, which to me is a odd statement to make, it leaves no room for improvement we should all be still learning off each other

Sorry for rambling on

I like the colours and the depth of field on the gate shot - the application of thirds has definitely helped the composition!

week 0 - Round your area a perfectly pleasing image and I like the lovely blue sky, some nice cloud detail, but I wonder if a letterbox type crop would suit the image better:thinking:.

Gate(d) - great image bang on for the theme, using the rule of thirds has worked well for this image, great work indeed with both images.

Your area - the wide angle has perhaps made the wind pump a bit small to be a focal point but good sense of "broadness" and nice sky.

Gate, good find for the theme, I love that what looks like a gate intended for public access has a "private, no access" sign on it.

Hi DK

Gate with a purpose, just no lock. nice photo, simple colours and led into the picture nicely.

Pete

Gate shot works very well Sir, nicely composed, with some good detail & colour.(y)

George.

Nice photo of the broads, great light and colours, and nice touch that you've included that windmill in the background :)

Very well composed gate photo and great light too (y)

vastness of the Norfolk Broads... subtle way of saying the "Land of Big Sky" so similar to that of the Fens.... so much Sky...so much.

Two very nice shots to begin your challenge this year, Dean. Your area is such vast and expanse location. An area of UK I've not yet have a chance to visit.
You should visit Stan, as long as you are not after mountain ranges :D

I love the Gated shot with the rustic feel to it. Can't fault the composition or exposure. The latch mechanism seems quite intriguing but quite simple to operate too.
Thank you :)

And yes I agree a very strange set up just to unlatch a gate, not sure why it is like that at all :thinking:

Gated is a great pic DK.....
Cheers mark :)

Nice of you to join in :whistle:
:bat:

:D
both good images like the bit of blue water in the first nice bright light from the low sun
Thanks... and yes the sun was damn low and very bright for a change :)
the gate pic is very good you have composed it well and again the light is superb a very good start
Thank you very much :)

On the point of getting a great image every week is that possible, I know what you mean but I feel I only get maybe as little as 10 images I am happy with, I do like to put the effort into getting the image technically as perfect as I can, but as to if I like it sometimes I don’t, maybe that’s just me, but I saw last year someone said they were happy with everything they had done, which to me is a odd statement to make, it leaves no room for improvement we should all be still learning off each other
Couldn't agree more mate, I too always want to get the best from the situation I am in, learn from previous attempts, different angles and focus points, so although I will be doing some quicker shots this year I still want to get the best from the attempt... well in a small way I guess I am just somehow trying to take the pressure off :) :)

Sorry for rambling on
No need to apologise I feel you have rounded it up nicely (y)

I like the colours and the depth of field on the gate shot - the application of thirds has definitely helped the composition!
Cheers Phil :)

week 0 - Round your area a perfectly pleasing image and I like the lovely blue sky, some nice cloud detail, but I wonder if a letterbox type crop would suit the image better:thinking:.
Thank you Mandy :)

Yes I think you are correct, I did try removing a lot of the reeds and the detail and light was much more pleasing for me :) - but I decided to go with the wider crop to show 'my area' otherwise it looked a bit restricted if you know what I mean :)

Gate(d) - great image bang on for the theme, using the rule of thirds has worked well for this image, great work indeed with both images.
Thank you very Much :) :)

I like the gate shot; lovely lighting and composition.
Thank you very much Lee :)

Your area - the wide angle has perhaps made the wind pump a bit small to be a focal point but good sense of "broadness" and nice sky.
Thanks Chris :)

I couldn't agree more, odd I know but that was the idea, guessing it didn't work :D

Gate, good find for the theme, I love that what looks like a gate intended for public access has a "private, no access" sign on it.
Thank you :)

I have photographed this 3 or 4 times over the years intending to use it as a theme, but it never worked as I hoped and always had something better, I guess the theme was spot on for a change :D

Hey Pete :)

Gate with a purpose, just no lock. nice photo, simple colours and led into the picture nicely.

Pete[/QUOTE]Cheers mate :cool:

Gate shot works very well Sir, nicely composed, with some good detail & colour.(y)

George.
Cool too, thanks George :)

Like the low POV Dean, makes me want to look over the gate to see what's beyond.
Ahhhh glad you noticed, thanks John :)

Nice photo of the broads, great light and colours, and nice touch that you've included that windmill in the background :)
Thank you Bernd it is best viewed large to appreciate I think :)

Very well composed gate photo and great light too (y)
And thank you again, and to the sun god who was playing for a change :D

vastness of the Norfolk Broads... subtle way of saying the "Land of Big Sky" so similar to that of the Fens.... so much Sky...so much.
Very much so Frank... although I think we have a bit more water, I just didn't have time to get closer to it :whistle:

water...hehe... yeah.. the Broads are rather damp... us Fenlanders just have a bunch of dykes to contend with, darn things creep up on you whilst you're focused on the sky

Good work DK (y) Quality images as always, some cheerful colour in the first. (y)

water...hehe... yeah.. the Broads are rather damp... us Fenlanders just have a bunch of dykes to contend with, darn things creep up on you whilst you're focused on the sky
Well yes, one should glance down on occasion :D

Good work DK (y) Quality images as always, some cheerful colour in the first. (y)
Thanks David, yes it was good to have some sun at last :)

Hi Dean

Mr Area - Lovely image some great detail and that sky is lovely.

Gate(d) - Great POV really nice use of DoF to give some great detail in the foreground and just a hint of what lies behind the gate. Ilove the reflections from the wet planks behind the gate.

And... you're off! Two strong images to start with, too. I like the beautiful golden tones in the foreground of your first image and I note there's a hint of that strange blue stuff at the top - lucky you! It's one of those images that looks sharper on Flickr, revealing lots of detail in the foreground, and reminds me that I'd like to re-visit the Broads as it is a very long time since I last passed through, Your crop and low POV work well for the second image, balancing the scene and concentrating the eye on the gate and the latch before it follows the line of the path beyond.

I know exactly what you mean about lowering your personal expectations a bit. It's a trap I have been caught in during previous years; wanting to post the perfect image that I see in my mind's eye and getting hung up on it for too long. I think the only reason I got to the end last year was to compromise on my ideal image a few times just to keep some momentum. It just about worked! Some of my favourite images have come about because of a 52 theme, but I agree with @Allan.H that I'm only really happy with a quarter or less of what I post. I think that challenge to improve is what keeps us all going, though :)

I like the colours of both shots the sun on the reeds and the crops is lovely the trees on the Horizon certainly give the impression of vastness in the first picture. I like the simple gate and its lever latch and the narrow path leads you in nicely

Week 0 - Those reeds are a great colour and with the blue sky make a lovely scene.
Week 1 - Well composed (sometimes the rules work), separation by focus works and nice bits of interest in mechanism of gate.

I like the colours of both shots the sun on the reeds and the crops is lovely the trees on the Horizon certainly give the impression of vastness in the first picture. I like the simple gate and its lever latch and the narrow path leads you in nicely
Thank you Alison :)

Week 0 - Those reeds are a great colour and with the blue sky make a lovely scene.
Cheers David :)
Week 1 - Well composed (sometimes the rules work), separation by focus works and nice bits of interest in mechanism of gate.
Annnnnnd thank you again :)

And so on to week 2...

I had a great day out yesterday with some TP folk at Whipsnade Zoo, the weather wasn't playing as we could have hoped but still another great Nutters meet this year :)

I went with the intention of getting my people shot, and having gone through the pics have decided to go for this one...

Week 2 - People - Getting Bored of all them people now...

Week 2 - People by TP DK, on Flickr

Yes it is a bit of a tenuous link but hey :D

Last edited:
That’s a cracker of a picture, very nicely composed to my (admittedly inexperienced) eye. I did wonder whether the theme was the menu :D Only criticism is your watermark needs updating ;)

That’s a cracker of a picture, very nicely composed to my (admittedly inexperienced) eye. I did wonder whether the theme was the menu :D Only criticism is your watermark needs updating ;)
Ahhh yes thank you for spotting that (Updated) and the kind comments :)

Back