weekly Granddad's 52's - 2017

Power ... I can almost hear the sizzling ... lots of power everywhere.

Above ... I find a bit challenging, looks squiffy.

Good sense of depth on Power. Above, has the makings of a great subject but can see the problems that the buildings and the unseen kiosk gave you. it is a shame when siting such pieces that the surroundings don't get considered.

More devolving perhaps than evolving, but nice thinking for the theme

More an evolved wall I think, but either way suitably on theme. Some nice textures in that photo!

Hi John,

Above - Getting the angle you really want can be difficult with environmental images, I don't mind the buildings, I think it gives it a bit of grounding in the environment it is in. not sure if a night time shout would work unless it is lit.

Evolve - Evolution of the building. Works for me, you see so much of this on buildings that have existed for some time

Now that I've caught up with my thread I'm returning visits and this is my first look at yours so I've just picked out some favourites for now. I really like your image for Order with the colourful and well arranged books, I like both Structure images - the second one for the lovely sky and colours - but the B&W version probably enhances the form and shapes of the actual structure itself. Power is a cracking shot with a great POV and lots of lovely leading lines, and Evolve is a really interesting one with strong colours and textures in the brickwork, and leaves me wanting to know more about the door! Looking forward to seeing more from you :)

I have not visited your thread before you have some great shots.I like your birds in the cold comforts pictures and
your daughters cat is beautiful. my favourite is your dark shot with the warm welcoming glow of the lights against the
darkening sky I can see why you considered it for attractive.

Now that I've caught up with my thread I'm returning visits and this is my first look at yours so I've just picked out some favourites for now. I really like your image for Order with the colourful and well arranged books, I like both Structure images - the second one for the lovely sky and colours - but the B&W version probably enhances the form and shapes of the actual structure itself. Power is a cracking shot with a great POV and lots of lovely leading lines, and Evolve is a really interesting one with strong colours and textures in the brickwork, and leaves me wanting to know more about the door! Looking forward to seeing more from you :)

I have not visited your thread before you have some great shots.I like your birds in the cold comforts pictures and
your daughters cat is beautiful. my favourite is your dark shot with the warm welcoming glow of the lights against the
darkening sky I can see why you considered it for attractive.

Thank you both for looking. It's a great community here with lots of encouragement and criticism. I'm really enjoying my first 52, though this week's (hold) is taking a bit of time as I'm away with the granddaughters. I may be late this week !

Finally got something for hold. Trip to Chester Zoo with the grandchildren Thursday. Don't believe anything you hear about these things being slow! It shot across those ropes like an olympic gymnast.:D

john-9503
by granddad john on Talk Photography

john-9504

The other shot a second later. Didn't think it was as clear. and later shots didn't show the face

Last edited:
Hi John,
As Emma says, they aren't tack sharp, but if you needed 1/20th sec to get the shot, then well done for getting anything in what must have been dark conditions.
At 1/20th, if they are charging about, then you'll never get tack sharp, just not possible.
So. I think well done for getting what you did :)

Barely seen one of these, they are normally having a sleep somewhere hidden in the back whenever I've been to a zoo with them. I'll have to take your word on their speed!

#1 for me as it's more prominent in the frame.

I love how many different shades of green there are around at the moment, and this one stands out well against the background. Would there have been any chance catching it with some early morning or late evening sun on it to give it a bit more of a glow?

:agree: fresh looking and beautiful but doesn't scream Vivid.

Looks vivid to me too, though I do feel it needs some separation from the BG

Hi John.
I think the image has got all the components, but needs a little tweaking / pp.
Have you considered playing with the saturation a bit, suing a soft brush to mask out the background, increasing the saturation of the plant, then on a second layer, inverting the mask and dropping the saturation of the background (but not too much).
That would give you separation, which in turn would make the subject more vivid.

Had great fun and a lot of frustration getting the smoke pictures. Thought this one looked like spinning a plate or perhaps a pizza.
This could turn out to be a version of the Rorschach Test:D:thinking:.

tp_16 smoke-9618

some sort of animal in here?

tp_16 smoke-9626

.....and there's definitley something in here with a beak, or I've been sniffing this incense for too long.

tp_16 smoke-9632

Last edited:
Hi John.
I think the image has got all the components, but needs a little tweaking / pp.
Have you considered playing with the saturation a bit, suing a soft brush to mask out the background, increasing the saturation of the plant, then on a second layer, inverting the mask and dropping the saturation of the background (but not too much).
That would give you separation, which in turn would make the subject more vivid.

Tim, Thanks. It is something I'd like to try. I've not too much experience with PS but I do need the practice. Problem at the moment is just keeping up with the weekly schedule amongst all the other bits of life. Who said retirement was peaceful:eek:

Hahaaa love the thought of animals in the smoke :D - good job these, like to hear people having fun on a 52 theme too, we all need that more often, like them :all:

more smoke ... excellent! (y)

Thanks guys. Not too original I know but it gave me the chance to try out the new Speedlight. Thanks to other members here and U-tube for all the help. It took lots of time (and incense) but I learned a lot, which has to be the point!:ty: all

Great shots John. There seems to be something a bit odd about the RHS of the background in the first, but I love the pattern in the third - smooth lines, a hint of colour and great sharpness :)

Thanks Emma, Yes the edge of the background crept in and the cloning hasn't come out quite right. I hadn't noticed before. I need a bigger background i think:)...but overall I'm pleased with a first attempt at this type of shot and with the Speedlight.

Well done John. Definitely think there is a chicken in the second one:D

Well done for trying something new, that's one of the things I most enjoy about doing the 52.

I love the description of spinning a pizza in #1 and can definitely see it.

Back