weekly HeartandSouls 52 Week Challenge Major catch up Weeks 16,18,19,20,21,22,23,24, added

• Thread starter Deleted member 59779
  • Start date
Hi Mandy ...I seem to have missed you lately ...sorry.

I specially like your vertical shot and your close up is lovely, I love those swirling colours , I think I'll have to try that one myself. Well done with the spiders too, it's not easy, they always seem to move just as you're about to take the shot.

Hi Mandy

Good catch up. I do like colourful Re Shoot. There seems to be a shadow bottom left, I think I'd crop a chunk off the bottom, zoom in more to the detail in the centre.

Ooooh I'm liking your reshoot Mandy.
I might have to have a go at that :)

Thankyou. It definitely was a challenge. But that is half the fun though. Iwill look out for yours.

Hi Mandy ...I seem to have missed you lately ...sorry.

I specially like your vertical shot and your close up is lovely, I love those swirling colours , I think I'll have to try that one myself. Well done with the spiders too, it's not easy, they always seem to move just as you're about to take the shot.

I've been quite absent recently. Life and work have been in the way, just drifted by occasionally when had a couple of mins. really mustn't leave it so long with shots if possible as thought does not go into them so much. You'll enjoy having a go at this. it will be another one to add to your abstract thread.

Hi Mandy

Good catch up. I do like colourful Re Shoot. There seems to be a shadow bottom left, I think I'd crop a chunk off the bottom, zoom in more to the detail in the centre.

In hindsight you are right should have cropped bottom LH corner. If I do it now LR will take it off and not update. Not found a way for it to repost yet when I edit shot. I'll work on it though . Definitely one to tick off as it is frustrating me now.

Nice catch up Mandy, I like the "crowd" but it looks a tad flat to me, maybe a bit of a levels boost to help it along?

Taken on my daughters point and shoot. Just random really :thinking::thinking: now why didn't I edit it, just as important as when using DSLR. In my defence it was quite dark waiting to go in though:D

Hi Mandy

Crowd - just needs a slight boost to emphasise the lone man in the crowd I think, but nice framing all the same (y)

Re-Shoot - Psychedelic colours and swirls, very '60s :D but a little dark on top RHS, could maybe zoom in to crop it out a bit :thinking:

Good stuff there Mandy
The crowd pic made me smile that bloke dont look happy reminds me of myself when im being photographed.
Close up the spider on the leaf is my fav
And your reshoot is excellent shame about bottom left top right being a touch dark as jill said a crop to lose those areas

Need to get my thinking cap on again and get camera out. Just ordered myself a cheap 10stop filter. Wonder whether it will be here for my road trip at the weekend. May even be able to dabble if so for experiment :thinking::thinking: If I don't like it or have no success then not spent loads of money.
decisions decisions do I go and read about 10 stops or do a bit of commenting, curiosity has got me commenting it is for now.....

Hi,

Just had a look at your thread. You have some great shots here but VERTICAL is the one that stands out for me. Love the colours and the distortion. I have seen it done before many times but it's just that type of shot that always catches my eye.

Have to agree with Ruth here Mandy, really liking your re-shoot, fantastic colours and the amount of swirls etc :)

Close-up - I'm liking the second image with the bug in between the wood slats, I love the flaking paint and wood texture.

Crowd - Well... box ticked and caught up that is enough for me, we all need one like that at times (y)

Lets begin another bit of catch up.

Week 10: Mouth

Not my original image had to grab this as a replacement..... Bit of a long story. Hopefully i will get the opportunity to go back and get the original mouth shot at some point. You never know it may come in useful somewhere even if only as a reshoot

Week 10; Mouth by HeartandSoul55, on Flickr

And finally for now dah dah dah.........

we have Week 15: Sound

Not quite my original shot. Although I was always going to use the guitar CD holder and CD's in the rack just didn't quite find the time to diff and chaff last weekend and was desperate to make an effort to catch up. I will not be beaten

MMMM I have a feeling I am a bit wonky ????

Sound edited by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

week 15: Sound by HeartandSoul55, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Good catch up Mandy, I love the Mouth shot, lots of detail, just needs straightening a touch at the top (y)

Machine fits the bill but again needs a straighten I think. Well spotted though (y)

Alphabet made me LOL, mini you was spot on (y)

Sound fits the bill but just needs a touch more punch, perhaps up the contrast?

Hi Mandy - good catch up!

Mouth - great fit for the theme, well spotted, and as Jill said there's loads of detail in there
Machine - fits the theme. It does look as though it needs straightening, but I think that would knock the vertical metal tube thing (?) out of true :confused:
Alphabet - again another good shot for the them
Sound - good take on the theme though it does lack punch. I can see what you mean about straightening it, but there again, it looks vertical to me - or is it my eyes?

:)

Thanks for comments ladies.
Mouth on looking at it again it is slightly on the wonk at top. Will straighten when I have more time and caught up
Machine It was quite difficult to take looking up at an angle. may also play with this and see what happens.
Sound: As the wall is right behind me when i am on the computer I've just had a look at the colour compared to shot and added a bit of contrast. Please feel free to comment further it is how I will learn. (At least I have managed to keep original shot on here)

Well done on the catch up Mandy. My favourite is definitely your shot for Mouth - it's a very striking subject and you've captured it really well :clap:

Mouth ... a good find, with good texture.

Machine ... now that's interesting, but I can't see it too well. Perhaps it was out of reach but I like to see cogs, chains and things more detailed.

Alphabet ... good fun shot.

Sound ... good prop for the theme. I like the slight wonkiness, but perhaps needs more light up top.

Mouth ... a good find, with good texture.

Machine ... now that's interesting, but I can't see it too well. Perhaps it was out of reach but I like to see cogs, chains and things more detailed.

Alphabet ... good fun shot.

Sound ... good prop for the theme. I like the slight wonkiness, but perhaps needs more light up top.

I'd agree, Mouth, a little under exposed and a slight ooommpphhh of the saturation for me.

Alphabet, yeah, sometime we need a little fun :)

Sound, wonderful CD holder.

Cheers.

Hi Mandy, thanks very much for visiting my thread last week and for your comments. As I've almost got up to date now, I'm here to belatedly return the compliiment and have a quick gallop through yours! :)

Unfortunately some of the early images aren't showing up any more, but my favourites of the ones I can see are:

Your edited versions of your Pattern images are both quite lovely, with all those details in the crystals, and the beautifully-lit bubbles and strong red in your edited shot for Bliss make it a lovely fresh shot. I also like the abstract shapes and colours in Watery, which was a clever idea like your image for Vertical, which worked really well and is something I must try. For the same reasons I love your re-shoot for Close-up, with all those bold colours and swirling abstract shapes; another good idea and well executed.

Your image for Mouth is striking, and also quite disturbing with those empty eyes! Alphabet is both topical and funny with the addition of the little photographer, and I really like the shape and simplicity of Sound - and what a great CD holder! I want one :)

There are quite a few images that aren't showing up for me so I guess you've taken them down to re-work, but I'll be following your thread and looking forward to your latest shots (y)

Last edited:
Hi Mandy, thanks very much for visiting my thread last week and for your comments. As I've almost got up to date now, I'm here to belatedly return the compliiment and have a quick gallop through yours! :)

Unfortunately some of the early images aren't showing up any more, but my favourites of the ones I can see are:

Your edited versions of your Pattern images are both quite lovely, with all those details in the crystals, and the beautifully-lit bubbles and strong red in your edited shot for Bliss make it a lovely fresh shot. I also like the abstract shapes and colours in Watery, which was a clever idea like your image for Vertical, which worked really well and is something I must try. For the same reasons I love your re-shoot for Close-up, with all those bold colours and swirling abstract shapes; another good idea and well executed.

Your image for Mouth is striking, and also quite disturbing with those empty eyes! Alphabet is both topical and funny with the addition of the little photographer, and I really like the shape and simplicity of Sound - and what a great CD holder! I want one :)

There are quite a few images that aren't showing up for me so I guess you've taken them down to re-work, but I'll be following your thread and looking forward to your latest shots (y)

Thankyou for the comments. I think images are not showing due to the way LR and Flickr are working or not working together. I def haven't taken them down. need to find the time to investigate further and get some more shots up on here. Some are taken others still in the making.

Start of another big catch up. Determined to stay in but also determined not to get so farrrrrrrrrr behind:jawdrop:

Week 16 Experiment

My new lightbox arrived yesterday ummed and aarghed about one for ages and decided to take the plunge. This is one of two shots taken with it. Technique was definitely an experiment for me. Never taken a pic of a frozen flower before. Next time will need to let the ice melt a little bit more

Week 16: Experiment by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 20 Limit

There is no limit as to where these sheep would climb on the hillside. Bit dark looking up. Managed to pull colour back a little any cc welcome:D

Week 20: Limit by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Week 22: Broken

Not my first choice of shot, couldn't get my first one to work properly so a quick PABD shot again. A few broken hearts most OOF I am afraid least said the better. Sure these sweets used to have more colour in them. I suppose they've removed some of the additives:thinking:

Week22: Broken by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

Week 24: Spiral

new exactly what I wanted to do when I saw this topic hence my order of a light box. Another shot taken with the light box yesterday. This will be well used in the winter months.

Week 24: Spiral by Mandy Coyne, on Flickr

That makes my reckoning that I've posted a shot in the actual week it was set:D. First time for months I think I've managed it right I think that leaves me scenic and heat to do. I will possibly find a scenic shot taken recently. heat :thinking:. Again one of those I had the idea but looked naff when I put it up on screen. Back to the drawing board.

What a nice set of images Mandy.
Experiment: Very creative and nice effect. I was thinking of doing something similar but with a flower in sparkling liquid rather than ice.
Figures: Like the texture of the brass and bg.
Household, Limit, Bizarre & Broken: All good and themed.
Entertain: Very novel and makes a lovely abstract
Spiral: My absolute favourite. Love it. Nice angle, abstract but clearly identifiable for what it is. :clap:

Well done

Hi Mandy - that's some catch up :)

Experiment - that a very nice abstract indeed :clap:

Figures, household, bizarre, entertain and broken - all fit the theme well

Limit - I really like this - the idea of sheep looking down on you from above is really mad, well spotted (n)

Spiral - that's a cracking shot, I love the composition :clap:

What a nice set of images Mandy.
Experiment: Very creative and nice effect. I was thinking of doing something similar but with a flower in sparkling liquid rather than ice.
Figures: Like the texture of the brass and bg.
Household, Limit, Bizarre & Broken: All good and themed.
Entertain: Very novel and makes a lovely abstract
Spiral: My absolute favourite. Love it. Nice angle, abstract but clearly identifiable for what it is. :clap:

Well done

Thank you Carl for taking the time to look and comments. Flowers in water is also on my to do list inspired by some I saw on the net by someone called Mo Devlin. Definitely something to have several goes with in the depths of winter. Hadn't thought about using sparkling water though. Will store that in the memory bank. I will be experimenting more with the flowers in ice another project set aside for the darker nights and winter. Spiral is my favourite image to date. I keep going back to look at it. Must stop that as still a couple to catch up on.

Hi Mandy - that's some catch up :)

Experiment - that a very nice abstract indeed :clap:

Figures, household, bizarre, entertain and broken - all fit the theme well

Limit - I really like this - the idea of sheep looking down on you from above is really mad, well spotted (n)

Spiral - that's a cracking shot, I love the composition :clap:

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment on all the images I posted last night. Have to confess I did not spot the sheep to begin with my OH did with his superzoom point and shoot grrrrr. I get the better quality pictures though :D.

Hi, well thats a big catch up
Experiment- interesting thing to do with a flower, sort of works though I am not sure how you would get clearer ice :thinking: as you say an experiment
Figures, i like this nice texture in there
Limit, only thing I can suggest is to lift the shadows a touch, nice image though (y)
Broken, I really like this one great idea, maybe a contrasty Black and White would work better
Spiral not seen a Slinky in years perfect subject for the theme

well done for hanging in there, you do know you are not allowed to get that far behind again :LOL:

My picks of you're recent submissions would be Experiment, much better that I've ever done and you can see plenty of detail. To get clear water apparently you have to continually agitate the water :)

Spiral nice high key feel and well composed.

Cheers.

Well done for catching up, Mandy. :clap:

Experiment; great idea for the theme. Frozen flower, I came across this technique before and would like to give a go. The two big bubbles just a bit distracting.

Figure; on theme.

Household; nice house.

Limit; take me a while to work it out until I read you short brief.

Bizarre; actually quite a common sight around here too.

Broken; great idea for the theme. Something gone a bit astray on the right though.

Entertain; now these bring back memory. Simple and load of fun.

Spiral; spot on theme and nice angle and well lit.

Back