weekly IanD's 52 Week 2019 Walk Of Shame - Week 26 - Drink

That suits b&w perfectly, the front bollard is pin sharp. Great light and shadows.

Love it, I like the tight crop and the black & white processing it's almost abstract.

Thanks very much Stan

Light
I like the recession and shadows. The black and white works well.

Thanks for the nice comment Dominic

Great use of framing and the lines you picked out are excellent!
Can't have shadows without light, and you have captured some really great shadows here!
Love the mono processing too, a wise choice - the green grass and yellow lines might have been a bit distracting.
Fab work Ian!:clap:

Thanks Gareth. I did try as a colour image with high contrast but just didn't work well. Mono always saves the day

Great spot Ian, some really great shadows produced there by the light!

Thanks very much Daniel - only had a 5 minute window before the clouds came

Nice use of patterns and shadows, Ian. Works really well in black and white too (y)

Thank you Carl

Agree with above comments nice use of light and shadow

Same again, thanks Allan

Nice mono for light! Those shadows make it.

Cheers Dave

That suits b&w perfectly, the front bollard is pin sharp. Great light and shadows.

Thank you Mark. Very much appreciated. 24-70 mkII never lets me down for sharpness

Cool light shot Ian, looks great in mono.

Many thanks Dave

Very good idea for Light Ian. A great composition of the bollards and shadows. Well seen.

Cheers Lee. I knew as soon as I saw it, I had to get something half decent or i'd have let myself down ;)

Hi Ian, you've posted some great shots since my last visit! I like all three images for Entrance, but especially the last one for some reason; probably the great sense of depth and definitely the reflection in the puddle. B&W suits all of them too.
Young is a lovely, fresh candid and I like the way they are all lined up but looking in a variety of directions. You can sense them swinging their feet while they're waiting too, and mono is the perfect choice again.
As others have said, Food is excellent for SOOC and you obviously put thought into your setup before clicking the shutter; the only change I might have made would be a touch more light in the foreground but then you'd have to be careful about reflections so for SOOC this is really good work.
Smooth is not only an excellent idea to use the contrast of rough and smooth but really good use of focus stacking too., and the small OOF area at the rear of the larger tools doesn't detract at all for me In fact, I didn't notice until it was pointed out :)
Above is an original idea and works so well with those striking yellow lines in the hatched area, and the car looks perfectly placed in the frame to me.
Hot - I like both images. Initially I was enjoying the bright, contrasting colours of the chillies but when I saw the image of the kettle that became my favourite; it's really well lit and composed and perfect for the theme.
Your patience and thought paid off again for Light; I really like the strong diagonal shadows and your use of DOF, while B&W is the perfect choice (y)

So, this lovely weekend saw me in Oxford on Saturday for the day with the wife. Had a fantastic time and I had some many opportunities to nail this week's theme of 'crowd(ed)'

So much so, that i'm just gonna throw 3 up as I quite liked them each for their own reasons....

No1 - managed to be in the right place at the right time, as I stumbled upon a group of Oxford students that had just graduated

52WK2019 - Crowd No1. by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

No2 - How about a street crowded with bicycles? I just smiled when I took this. I think the guy is actually going to put a parking ticket on ones of those :)

52WK2019 - Crowd No2. by ***tuttifrutti***, on FlickrAnd finally

No3 - A crowd of tourists being enlightened by the lady in the green jacket, but the dog is totally unimpressed with the lady's patter

52WK2019 - Crowd No3. by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

Last edited:
Light- Lovely graphic shot, works well in mono
Crowd-the first one for me, though I do like the bikes

Three impressive shots. #1 is a typical scene after the graduation ceremony with the students gathering taking photos and selfies. I like #2 the best out of the 3, the inclusion of the traffic/city warden adds interest to the shot and also the question of 'is he really issuing tickets?' To me, those bikes are parked in an orderly manner. Well spotted in #3 with the dog. :giggle:

Ian

I like the first Image for crowd as the colour of the stone is really nice, but the verticals are way out. Suits the theme really well, a good sense of a crowd.
I also like the 3rd one with the low down angle.

Pete

Ian, what can I add. Fabulous, even better I feel in mono as well.

Thanks very much Chris, much appreciated

Hi Ian, you've posted some great shots since my last visit! I like all three images for Entrance, but especially the last one for some reason; probably the great sense of depth and definitely the reflection in the puddle. B&W suits all of them too.
Young is a lovely, fresh candid and I like the way they are all lined up but looking in a variety of directions. You can sense them swinging their feet while they're waiting too, and mono is the perfect choice again.
As others have said, Food is excellent for SOOC and you obviously put thought into your setup before clicking the shutter; the only change I might have made would be a touch more light in the foreground but then you'd have to be careful about reflections so for SOOC this is really good work.
Smooth is not only an excellent idea to use the contrast of rough and smooth but really good use of focus stacking too., and the small OOF area at the rear of the larger tools doesn't detract at all for me In fact, I didn't notice until it was pointed out :)
Above is an original idea and works so well with those striking yellow lines in the hatched area, and the car looks perfectly placed in the frame to me.
Hot - I like both images. Initially I was enjoying the bright, contrasting colours of the chillies but when I saw the image of the kettle that became my favourite; it's really well lit and composed and perfect for the theme.
Your patience and thought paid off again for Light; I really like the strong diagonal shadows and your use of DOF, while B&W is the perfect choice (y)

Thanks so much for taking the time to catch up on comments Andrea. It's great to get in-depth feedback

Light- Lovely graphic shot, works well in mono
Crowd-the first one for me, though I do like the bikes

Thanks very much Jon. The one with the bikes is my favourite TBH

First one for me also though the bikes come a close second

Thanks Allan

Last shot for me, as like the low angle you took it at.

Thanks Dave. I do like that one but more for the dog's input :)

Three impressive shots. #1 is a typical scene after the graduation ceremony with the students gathering taking photos and selfies. I like #2 the best out of the 3, the inclusion of the traffic/city warden adds interest to the shot and also the question of 'is he really issuing tickets?' To me, those bikes are parked in an orderly manner. Well spotted in #3 with the dog. :giggle:

Thanks for the comments Stan, much appreciated

Ian

I like the first Image for crowd as the colour of the stone is really nice, but the verticals are way out. Suits the theme really well, a good sense of a crowd.
I also like the 3rd one with the low down angle.

Pete

Thanks very much Pete. Never even noticed the verticals. Good spot! Don't think there's much I could do with them to be fair though as it's the spectre of the wide angle lens I guess. Using a transform tool to get them correct on one side would make them skewed on t'other. Thanks for the comments

Three terrific images there Ian!:clap:
All have some great stories there....for me #2 is my favourite....there's something about the composition.
A great piece of timing and a well composed image that has some great light and whose colours are first class!
Great work!(y)

I like the first one for its composition and the golden stone, but the second one for a traffic warden looking like he is ticketing a bike...really?

Thanks very much Clive. I'm not really sure if he is. I can't remember if this part of the city was a car-free one, but there were certainly no cars about. There were various signs to tell people they had to leave bikes in a certain way, so who knows?

Three terrific images there Ian!:clap:
All have some great stories there....for me #2 is my favourite....there's something about the composition.
A great piece of timing and a well composed image that has some great light and whose colours are first class!
Great work!(y)

Thanks very much for your kind words Gareth

Tourists for me Ian, nice angle ! Three great images and all suit the theme well !

Thanks very much Chris

I think the second one is my favourite, when I saw it I was interested and confused at the same time! All three are great though (y)

Many thanks Carl

Hot – Hot #2 works very well in mono. Lots of detail in the steam. Very Nice image.

Light – Nice, like the use of light and shadows and lines. Again, suits mono.

Crowd – I think the first two are my favourite, with the bikes winning. The parking warden makes it for me. Very crowded bike racks!

Like it, great idea for the theme and also like the way you've carried on with the thesaurus on the board. Suits the B&W processing too.

Crowd
#1 works for me, but I also do like bikes, I can see why you might have had trouble choosing.

Decay
I don't think of it as a marmite shot, more of a good imagination. It's a good composition.

Ian

Decay, a good 11 point score there, good tones in the B&W image, composition I like and Border looks good.

Pete

Excellent image Ian!:clap:
Brilliantly creative, and I love the word variations of 'decay' on the board....clever stuff!
Works very well as a mono, the crop works nicely, superb composition with the placement of the board, and the vignette is perfect!
And I do actually like Marmite too!:giggle:

Hi Ian,

I like your shots for Crowd. They are all great but I think I prefer the first one as there's loads of stuff going on there.
Decay isn't a marmite shot at all. Very clever and creative. Well thought out and very well shot.

It's times like this when I wished I had a proper macro lens - but for now.....

Free week - Snappers Choice - Close Up.....

Lovely wander round RHS Wisley this morning and this was more or less what I was looking for

Dandelions No2 by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

Nice - taken at one o'clock? :D

I really like the composition and light, a great dandelion shot

I like the processing and the subject matter not sure about the large frame, could just be me though

Like it, great idea for the theme and also like the way you've carried on with the thesaurus on the board. Suits the B&W processing too.

Thanks very much Jim. I did think about putting a few more words in, but then decided less is more :)

It reminds me of the Ronseal slogan "It does exactly what it says on the theme" :giggle:

Thanks Stan :)

Must admit I like your thoughts and as @FlyPhot said the way you have carried the text through is quite clever, suits mono really well

Thanks Chris for the comment. I do love mono

Good shot for the theme, wait till you see mine.

Ha ha, saw yours. How convenient that was eh ;)

I will go with the CROWD of bikes, and the guy taking down their number plates ..... :rolleyes:
Very clever idea for DECAY :clap::clap:

Thanks very much Bob. That was my favourite for crowd too I think. The decay just came to me in a flash (then I had to borrow a scrabble set)

Crowd
#1 works for me, but I also do like bikes, I can see why you might have had trouble choosing.

Decay
I don't think of it as a marmite shot, more of a good imagination. It's a good composition.

Thank you very much Dominic. Very much appreciated mate

Ian

Decay, a good 11 point score there, good tones in the B&W image, composition I like and Border looks good.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Don't forget the extra 50 points for me just about to use up all my tiles :)

Thanks for the comments - i'm still not sure on borders but I think they can work most times

Excellent image Ian!:clap:
Brilliantly creative, and I love the word variations of 'decay' on the board....clever stuff!
Works very well as a mono, the crop works nicely, superb composition with the placement of the board, and the vignette is perfect!
And I do actually like Marmite too!:giggle:

Ahh, cheers Gareth. I really enjoyed this one. It appeared to work well with the processing etc but beauty is in the eye of the viewer too eh :)

Hi Ian,

I like your shots for Crowd. They are all great but I think I prefer the first one as there's loads of stuff going on there.
Decay isn't a marmite shot at all. Very clever and creative. Well thought out and very well shot.

Thanks Lee. I must admit, the first crowd one is more 'exciting' with everyone doing their own thing. I got lucky with it eh.

Thanks for the comments on the decay one. Glad you liked it

Nice - taken at one o'clock? :D

I see what you did there Dave :) Thank you

I really like the composition and light, a great dandelion shot

Thanks so much Mark

I like the processing and the subject matter not sure about the large frame, could just be me though
Thanks Allan, much appreciated. Do you mean the size/frame of the image, or the black border itself?

Fab close-up Ian!(y)
Really nice light, and the vignette works well too!
Very well composed, and the DoF is spot on....the 'clock' is perfectly sharp, while there's some nice BG blur....nicely done!

Many thanks Gareth.
Hi Ian,
Nice composition. Having a odd number in the foreground works well. I too like the vignette. Plenty of green in there too :)

Thanks Lee. Yes, I wanted the dandelion there but felt it needed a little something on the left.

Catch up again!
Its the kettle shot for Hot for me Ian, perfect in the b&w.
The b&w works perfectly again for light, excellent POV really shows off those shadows.
Crowd I like them all but its the students for me, I can just imagine what a happy moment that is for them.
Decay, you thought that out well, composition is spot on, a very original idea for the theme.
Composition is spot on too for the dandelion with the inclusion of the other two, I do agree about the frame being a bit heavy on that one, I do like frames but dandelions are such fragile things I think a much narrower frame or even a coloured one would show off the fragile beauty better.

Ian

Reaaly nice shot of the dandelion, composition, etc is spot on, frame is just ok, maybe dark grey better.
Such beauty from a "weed".

Pete

Back