weekly Jon P's TP 52 in 2016 Challenge - Living World and Spiky Added

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all :D

Just getting ready for the TP 52/16 challenge and noticed there's a week 0 already !!

Better pop out with the camera .....................

:)

Week 0 Old
Week 1 Metal
Week 2 Captive
Week 3 Miniature
Week 4 Happy
Week 5 Abandoned
Week 6 Camouflage
Week 7 Dangerous
Week 8 Topical
Week 9 Living World
Week 10 Spiky
Week 11
Week 12
Week 13
Week 14
Week 15
Week 16
Week 17
Week 18
Week 19
Week 20
Week 21
Week 22
Week 23
Week 24
Week 25
Week 26
Week 27
Week 28
Week 29
Week 30
Week 31
Week 32
Week 33
Week 34
Week 35
Week 36
Week 37
Week 38
Week 39
Week 40
Week 41
Week 42
Week 43
Week 44
Week 45
Week 46
Week 47
Week 48
Week 49
Week 50
Week 51
Week 52

h9PZYij.png

Last edited:
And here we go !

Week # 0 "Old"

Week # 0 - Subject "Old" by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Taken at Dunham Massey, Cheshire earlier today. The stones are set into the turf over the lake opposite the main house / Stamford Hospital.

I knew they were there and went for the 1702 date being "Old" and the fact that the word "old" is in the capture is a lucky bonus !

Taken with a Sony RX100mk1

Last edited:
Hi. liking that you got the building in the background. Not just one 'old but two! in your shot. Maybe just a little bit close on the right hand side writing.Good use of DOF

@anitacv - Thank you for your comments - yes I didn't see the 2nd "old" !!! - I would have liked a little more space to the right, but ran out after the straighten :( - I had the camera at arms length and on my knees to avoid standing / laying on the rest of the stones :)

@JasonGlyn Thank you -Im usually not a fan of grain, but felt it worked with the "old" theme and composition / DOF

As Susie say's very atmospheric, and a double whammy, with the "Old" too.
Nice start Jon (y)

Good use of DOF. I like the interpretation of the theme. Maybe a step or two back would have made the lower RH side better?

Hi, I like what you have done with the perspective and the processing, a very pleasing image

Hi Jon - welcome - hope you enjoy the challenge and the camaraderie. Nice shot to kick things off with - love the building in the bg which help to "ground" the stonework. :clap:

I like the lighting in the sky...can imagine aliens landing in the background.

I like your photo. Fits with the theme perfectly and like others mentioned already - double old - well done.

Hi Jon
Not sure how I missed this being posted earlier...
I'm going to echo Anita's comment on the crop/composition being a little off centre, but it's a great find, nicely sharp on your main subject with an ethereal feel to the building in the background. A good start to your 52 :)

@LC2 Thank you very much :)

I've just revisited the image and tried to get a balance between centralising the writing, the image being level and not reducing the image due to crop / rotation and ended up with this :

Week # 0 - Subject "Old" (alt crop) by Jon Parry, on Flickr

I like it, thank you all for the suggestion :D

Went out today with a few shots in mind and none really came off:
sApAuPC.png

YLv4vNO.png

svxD8Tk.png

9xvri58.png

Got home and tried some fork 'andles ;)

UopeSdS.png

Not happy with any of them so decided to recreate a shot I had done before (and is now my entry):

Week # 1 - Subject "Metal" by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Its an old Oris metal cased pocket watch and chain. This was originally my grandfathers, he passed it to my father when he got married and my dad passed it to me when I got married.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for shallow DoF and for watches so the first and last shots for me. Both very well done too :)

Only thing about the first one is that it is maybe a little too shallow. Would like to see the entire barb in focus.

Last edited:
The watch is a great shot: simple, elegant and effective.

Hi Jon. The last shot is in a class of it's own. Like the way you have off-centered the subject. It would be normal I suppose to have a uniform background but the two-tone grey bg actually in some weird way compliments the subject quite well. :clap:

the first shots need just more time, they seem hurried, they can all work from different angles and DOF,
then you get to the watch what happened, the only thing I would say is it needs only a slight CWR, other than that a graceful image,:clap:

I'm a sucker for shallow DoF and for watches so the first and last shots for me. Both very well done too :)

Only thing about the first one is that it is maybe a little too shallow. Would like to see the entire barb in focus.

Thank you - It was one I specifically had in mind when I knew we were going to Delemere Forest. My Mrs was doing the 5k Parkrun and I had the two kids whilst she ran, so a bit of run and gun / try and snap before one fell in a deep muddy puddle. I had something similar to another old shot in mid (below) but didn't get the focus i was after (or much focus at all!)

Fence by Jon Parry, on Flickr

The watch is absolutely spot on Jon ....I love it :clap:

Thank you, very much, really appreciated :)

Pocket watch for me too, loving the reflection and it suits the B&W processing.
Though I do have to cheer for the permanent way shot :)

Thank you - I didn't want to go full B&W so de-saturated all but the watch face to try and keep some second hand / minute marker colours

The watch is a great shot: simple, elegant and effective.

Thank you, very much :)

Hi Jon. The last shot is in a class of it's own. Like the way you have off-centered the subject. It would be normal I suppose to have a uniform background but the two-tone grey bg actually in some weird way compliments the subject quite well. :clap:

Thank you for your comments Carl :) its actually sat on a black granite tile and against a white wall - the PP and image de-saturation has muted them both to grey, which I like but (being honest) was unintentional but !discovered! when I did the original shoot this time last year https://www.flickr.com/photos/jon_parry/albums/72157647981389523 :)

the first shots need just more time, they seem hurried, they can all work from different angles and DOF,
then you get to the watch what happened, the only thing I would say is it needs only a slight CWR, other than that a graceful image,:clap:

Very much appreciated, thank you - You are 100% right the first few were run and gun whilst keeping an eye on the kids, so far from ideal and the fork 'andles was done with poor natural and room light (I have no photography lighting) hence the high ISO and all round poor image. The watch I did take some time on and set up making the most of the poor light (and lighting) I have. Happy with it but annoyed with the highlight on the watch reflection - One to remember next time ! the rotation is one I should have learnt from the last time i snapped it - DOH !

The watch for me too, really good image.

Thank you very much :)

Well done Jon for so many submission. You are nearly there with #1 you just need to move the focal point further in. The pocket watch is the best mo.Well lit and spot on focus but just a shame about the spot of highlight in the rim of the watch.

Thank you and agree 100% - NY resolution, be patient and less run and gun. Again completely agree with the highlight and the one area im not happy with - I did try some toning down but it was beyond my skill set

Finally thank you all for your comments - really nice to hear not only the compliments but also suggestions and crit / constructive feedback, it really helps, thank you - Jon !

Back