weekly Nostromo TP52 (2017) Wk 52: Weather

Hi Dom,

Progress - What a powerful image, it certainly makes you stop & think. Lot of varied colours captured well and the exposure is handled beautifully as it would have been so easy to blow highlights with all that metal.

Pleasure - What's not to like, a camera and a kettle or two. :)

Tiny - Nice shallow DoF. Works against the slightly mottled black background.

Face

It was a nice day on Sunday so i took the dog, her ball and my camera to a local pond/farmers reservoir. After fighting our way through the undergrowth to get to a clear-ish area, the fun started. Ruby loves her ball (nearly as much as food, but she is a Lab so food always comes first), she also loves a swim what ever the weather.
After many, many shots i've settled on this one.

swish-1 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I also liked this, although it's a bit tight on the rhs

untitled-468 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

#1, well worth the effort, nicely timed and sharp in the right places

Agriculture

Well more like, The Agricultural landscape. Taken from the top of Titterstone Clee in Shropshire. The weather was pants, but i had decided that's where i was going and i wasn't going to let that put me off.

+4-1 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Quite a moody shot Dom. Have you considered playing with curves and levels adjustments to give it more impact? I think I would be tempted to play (but that's just me).

I will give it a go, it does look a bit flat now I'm looking at it again.

Like the edit, brings out the fields more and not as gloomy as the original, certainly an agricultural landscape.

Lovely dog. #1 ... great capture.

Agriculture edit ... great improvement.

Graceful

Not an image that i wanted to use, but it was my back up or banker. We were in Aberdovey Wales, on Saturday visiting a friend, we went down to the beach to walk the dogs. There were a few of these guys and gals doing what ever this is called, so i took a few shots as bankers, in case i couldn't think of anything else or ran out of time (i know it doesn't matter if the images are posted after the next theme is pulled out of the hat, but i don't like to be behind and i certainly have been of late). Anyway this is it.

untitled-82-2 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fruit
Back to the table top photography, which i enjoy, i just prefer when i'm in control of everything.
I had a bit of fun with the theme this week, it's something i've been wanting to do for a while.
It took me just as long to clean up the kitchen as it did to take the shots.

I've gone with this one as i think it's slightly better than the others.
untitled-394 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Although i do like these as well

untitled-386 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-402 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

It doesn't always go to plan though

untitled-388 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-385 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

1st image works really well must have taken a few attempts, very good indeed

Sorry I have been been awful with comments so far this year so I have had a look through and here are comments on
some of your shots
the comfort shot is fine as it is a bit of steam may have added a little but I like it as it is.
Hairy I like the 1st shot better although the 2nd is hairier, I like the blue and white patterned stones for smooth and the
way they seem to be in a spotlight. Well done on getting that Pov for Structure Its a great shot and I love that gate too.
Routine works really well in B/W plenty to look at. Numbers I like your 1st shot best. Dark is great I agree it looks a bit like a painting.
Smoke is well captured and dont apologise to them they will be back. Large is great for the theme I like the use of the magnifying glass.
Love the white on white for Minimal. Progress is an amazing statue and pleasure is spot on for the theme and this group. I prefer the processed
agriculture shot. And I love your Fruit shot what a mess you must have made but a cracking shot to show for it.

Fruit, mouthwatering! I'm sure my daughter would have volunteered for the disposal crew if I'd tried anything like that.

Wow! Fabulous 'Fruit' shots. That first one is quite special, but they are all amazing! I agree with Dark Knight - it would make a great print.

Having a quick look back - Face is excellent too. Really nicely captured.

I've missed some great shots of your Dom...trying for a catch up now! Beautiful lighting on minimalist to capture the delicate texture on the shell. The sculpture for progress is quite amazing. a really powerful message. I love the colours of the handles running throught the robe - thanks so much for sharing this one. I like the shallow dof on tiny and the dark background is very effective, but I LOVE your first face...one of the shots of the year for me, so sharp in the right places and capturing the fascinating swirls of the water. Brilliant :clap: Oh, nearly forgot - top strawberry shot, too. I remember spending hours trying a slow shutter speed shot of sugar being poured onto a strawberry...frustrating and very messy, but it did feel good to get a shot I was fairly happy with!

Thank you very much for your kind words @Emja. I've been at a bit of a low Ebb with inspiration for some of these themes lately, which in turn has made me a bit unfussed about picking up the camera. Then I did the strawberry shot and all is now good again :):)

A catch-up from me, Dominic, as I've missed your last few.

What a great sculpture for Progress, and quite chilling to see the details of all the knife blades sticking out around the edges. Hopefully there will be progress against knife crime in the near future as too many young lives are being lost to it. Exposure is spot on for all that shiny metal.
Pleasure is a good idea, personal to you, and I think we can all agree with that one - most of the time, anyway :)
The tiny flowers are perfect for that theme and well lit to pick out the pretty details, although you may need to recognise the plant to know just how small they are.
Face - I love the top one! I have a very similar image of our dog and it always makes me smile when I see it. You've done brilliantly to freeze the arcs of water in motion and also to expose the blacks. Great expression, too (y)
Agriculture - the edit has really lifted the scene and brought out the foreground tones. Looks like a great view from there and well worth the hike.
Graceful - maybe not your first choice but it works for the theme with the curve of the kite and long line down to the surfer.
Fruit - wow :clap: The colour, shapes, contrast and sheer impact of that first image is just brilliant. I struggle with tabletop photography but you can tell it's something you love doing :) Interesting to see the others too - thanks for sharing them.

Last edited:
Thank you all. It is a working model/toy, so can be fired up.

HaHa ... Old Smoky, what fun! And I like the OOF house backdrop.

Back