weekly susiejb 52 in 2017 Worn

I think for the theme the onions win for me but the flower does look very tall

The onions! Nice and sharp and not too shallow DoF, and the dark background makes the onions really stand out.

Onions for me too, nicely captured and look tasty but the flower spike is very impressive

That is a very interesting flower, don't think I have seen one of those before. My favourite is the onions. Are they home grown ? I have not seen them that large in the supermarket for a long time.

Vivid - love this take, nice bright colours with a good POV and a great DOF.

Large - The onions for me as well, maybe you could have cut one up to add a little something different to the shot but I do like the background (is it a chopping board?)

I think for the theme the onions win for me but the flower does look very tall

Thanks Allan, the plants are quite stunning, we had loads in the garden when we moved in.

The onions! Nice and sharp and not too shallow DoF, and the dark background makes the onions really stand out.

Thank you Bernd (y)

Onions for me too, nicely captured and look tasty but the flower spike is very impressive

Thanks Chris :)

That is a very interesting flower, don't think I have seen one of those before. My favourite is the onions. Are they home grown ? I have not seen them that large in the supermarket for a long time.

The plant is native to Cornwall and the Scilly Isles I think Kath. No, we didnt grow the onions, I spotted them in Morrisons :)

Im an onion fan Susie....just looks a better pic.

Thanks Mark (y)

I can't make my mind up between the 2, the flower looks great against the sky, looking large. The onions I like, but I think there is better composition in there somewhere, perhaps one of each and if possible more of the chopping board for the bg too.

Thank you for looking in Michael, I didn't think of doing just one, they came in a bunch like that, didn't think of splitting them!

Onions for me too Susie, great shot and BG, love them raw too :)

Thanks Dave ....they're very good for you :)

Vivid - love this take, nice bright colours with a good POV and a great DOF.

Large - The onions for me as well, maybe you could have cut one up to add a little something different to the shot but I do like the background (is it a chopping board?)

Thanks Steve , I did think of adding to the set up but then thought it might detract from the size .... not sureo_O
My clever hubby makes the checkerboard chopping boards ....and very nice they are too :)

Last edited:
I see larger onions than that everyday.:)

But that flower/plant says large (OK tall) and I like the pov & its isolation.

Last edited:
#2 for me, great POV and I like how it disappears into the sky, like the giant beanstalk.

Blooming con trails :(

Cheers.

I see larger onions than that everyday.:)

But that flower/plant says large (OK tall) and I like the pov & its isolation.

Those onions are large, but it's #2 for me Susie. I like the unusual pov and the vivid, brash nature works so well for the theme...a little bit Triffids I think ?!

Thank you folks ...the plant was my favourite too.

Using the definition Architecture: The complex or carefully designed structure of something, I wanted to find something in the garden. I noticed these freshly hatched baby spiders swinging happily in their homespun crib, so I decided on them. It always amazes me how strong spiders webs are, they can hang on to your wing mirror even when zooming up the motorway!

Architecture TP2017 by Susiejb, on Flickr

I couldn't resist giving them a little prod :) ...sending them scurrying madly about until eventually they go back into a ball.

TP 2017 by Susiejb, on Flickr

That gives me the creeps, especially the second one... but great idea and great prodding...

Excellent Susie, great idea too

Thanks Allan :)

What a great take on theme Susie, two very good shots :)

Thank you Dave (n)

That gives me the creeps, especially the second one... but great idea and great prodding...

Thank you Bernd ...it does make me smile the way they all scurry about.

Nice one susie, I knew we could rely on you. (y)

Awww thanks d00d :)

Yep, made me shudder a touch too!

Nice shots and ideas tho Susie.

Thanks Mark ...they are very tiny, I might not like them some much once they're full size.

:clap: That's a lovely image, composition, tonal range and beautifully lit.

Just to show you don't need expensive gears to achieve great results.

Thank you Stan I'm glad you like it, it was taken with my camera but I had no special lighting for extra effect. It's literally straight from the camera on to here.

Loving smoke Susie, a great image and composition and even better that it`s in mono (y)(y)

Thanks Dave it's one of those rare photos that turned out just as I imagined first time, I always wanted it to be in b&w I think it works really well for portraits.

Well worth the wait, great image with superb light. Must be a contender for photo of the year IMHO.

Love the idea of the spiderlings for architecture - nicely done too(y)
The portrait of your father in law is just superb - utterly timeless and fantastic use of natural light. I hesitate to crit it at all, but I do wonder what it would look like without the bright window ledge to the right? You would lose the last lighter in the row, but it does pull my eye away a little from the marvellous detail in face and hands. What a great portrait though! :clap:

Well worth the wait, great image with superb light. Must be a contender for photo of the year IMHO.

Thank you so much Chris ... I really appreciate that.

Love the idea of the spiderlings for architecture - nicely done too(y)
The portrait of your father in law is just superb - utterly timeless and fantastic use of natural light. I hesitate to crit it at all, but I do wonder what it would look like without the bright window ledge to the right? You would lose the last lighter in the row, but it does pull my eye away a little from the marvellous detail in face and hands. What a great portrait though! :clap:

Thanks Emma, I really couldn't decide about the crop, I kept looking at it. He sits for hours gazing out of the window every day so in the end I decided leaving it in captured more of 'the moment' but I know what you mean. He didn't realise I was taking the photo I think that's why it looks so natural.

That is a great portrait, well done.:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Clive :)

Wonderful portrait Susie. Completely natural and what a great subject, all the better for being unposed.

That's a great portrait, well lit, natural pose... nothing to criticise!

:agree: Yep, loving the portrait, fantastic capture, and he's really enjoying that. (y)

Wonderful portrait Susie. Completely natural and what a great subject, all the better for being unposed.

That's a great portrait, well lit, natural pose... nothing to criticise!

:agree: Yep, loving the portrait, fantastic capture, and he's really enjoying that. (y)

Fabulous portrait @susiejb - love it. Really tells a story. Black and white suited to the subject too.

:agree: superb portrait

Thank you very much all ...I really appreciate the encouragement.

Last edited:
Hi Susie.

Vivid - A nice rainbow full of colours, though maybe a bit pastel. Give it a boost ;)
Large - Both work. Whilst I do like the second shot, with it's low perspective, I think you're right about your choice of #1. It screams professional.
Architecture - Very clever take on the theme (y)
Smoke - Excellent dramatic portrait. That should be on a mantelpiece somewhere.

Another quick catch-up from me after missing a few weeks and the usual great selection of images from you, Susie :) I love the clever simplicity of Hold - well spotted! - and the fabulous bold and bright colours of the spiral in Vivid, both images for Large work well for the theme and I think my favourite is the second one, with the POV showing how the plant is reaching for the sky. Another strong image and different take on the theme for Architecture, and I like the contrasting colours of the spiders' bodies and the green background, while your low key image for Smoke suits B&W and is a restful, calm scene with the smoke leading towards the window. A really good selection (y)

Ewwwe Susie, now that's a creepy shot for Architecture, a very clever idea I must say though, that second one makes me itch :D

Smoke - now that is a cracker, great lighting and the B&W is spot on, what a great character for the theme too, and a spot on composition too, now that is a keeper, love it :clap: (y)

Back