weekly The Ian W 52 mkII (2017) - Weeks 6, 7 & 8 added

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
So I've decided to draw a line under my 2016 effort after falling just past the half way mark at Week 27.

My focus will be thinking outside the box and making sure my targets are hit after giving myself just too much to do this last year after struggling for a few weeks which is silly tbh.

Here's hoping I can finish it this time around!

Thanks for your time once again.

Ian

Thanks for that, DK.

To start as I mean to go on, here's week 0 for a song title by Marillion (see if you can guess what it is!)

White Russian
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Thanks

Ian

Last edited:
It's been a while since I had one of those but can't say I remember the song. I too like the quirky angle ... creates added interest.

Great idea, nicely composed....where do we go from here?
Onwards and upwards eventually, Clive. For now, I've a bit of a hangover to nurse! Thanks for the comments.
It's been a while since I had one of those but can't say I remember the song. I too like the quirky angle ... creates added interest.
If I'm honest, I didn't either Carl. The wonder of Google! Thanks for stopping by as always :)
Agreed, I'm with Em all the way here, DoF, bottles in background and the angle, good start :)
Thanks, DK. Some constraints meant this was the best way to shoot it, but I'm happy enough with the results for now.

Time to dabble in the use of backgrounds rather than using the kitchen worktop all the time! :)
Like the dutch angle to the shot, with the oof bottles in the back :)
What can I say...I love a jaunty angle! Thanks for stopping by, Dave.
Good to see you back Ian. I really like the way you've included the ingredients in the bg - perfect dof I think. And the jaunty angle certainly adds a feeling of one too many!
I feel this morning as I had one too many. Got a taste for them it seems [emoji1]
Thanks for the comments on the shot, too. Glad to be back and will hopefully stay for the duration this time!

Bit of a Black Russian fan myself, nice take on it but the slant maybe a little too much for me.

Yeah, that's how I felt the last time I had a (few...) White Russian...

Great idea and composition, not so sure about the dutch tilt.

I like the drunken angle and the Oof bottles in the background

Not sure the Dutch angle works with this one Ian but that's just personal taste. Probably because of the full glass.Nice dof though and it reminds me of how much I used to like black Russians. I used to get a Black Russian kit in my presents every Christmas over 30 years ago.

Love the quirky angle Ian, it works really well, DOF is spot on too. Hope you manage to finish this year ....good luck :)
Thanks, Susie. I'll certainly be giving it my best shot!
Love the angle and DOF, well done (y)
Thanks, Aidan :)
A well thought out image, good positioning of the bottles in the background, looking forward to seeing what else you produce throughout the challenge.
Thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to this year and not being overly critical or picky with my images this year as that's what contributed to me not finishing last time I'm sure.
Bit of a Black Russian fan myself, nice take on it but the slant maybe a little too much for me.
Not really a fan of coke as a mixer tbh, yet milk / cream I'd apparently okay [emoji1]
Thanks for commenting, the slant does appear to be a bit divisive!
Yeah, that's how I felt the last time I had a (few...) White Russian...

Great idea and composition, not so sure about the dutch tilt.
As above, the tilt seems a bit Marmite in terms of opinions. Thanks for stopping by.

Good grief, after a few that's making me dizzy.

Good start

I like the drunken angle and the Oof bottles in the background
Another like for the tilt! Thanks :)
Not keen on the Dutch angle myself Ian, but liking the detail in the froth on the top of the drink.
Kan't beat a drop of Kahlua :)

Not sure the Dutch angle works with this one Ian but that's just personal taste. Probably because of the full glass.Nice dof though and it reminds me of how much I used to like black Russians. I used to get a Black Russian kit in my presents every Christmas over 30 years ago.
Thank you both. It's not something I'd use often and did so partly to crop out the wall socket and gas hob on either side [emoji56]

Okay, so week 1 proper and I wanted to come up with something that no one else had yet posted (which was getting harder with every day that passed! Following a lengthy trawl through Google (other good search engines are available), I present to you "Gagging Order".

Gagging Order
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Thanks

Ian

Brilliant idea, and well executed (y)

Haha - great idea Ian and well done getting your submission in despite the lurgy. I'm not sure about the heaviness of the vignette personally - but spot on otherwise!
Ha thanks Em. My biggest struggle was getting it in whilst looking after others as I was mostly over it by Friday. Still not fun! I spent what must have been like half an hour on the vignette alone, in/out/more/less/feathering increased etc and settled where it is to really isolate the face and tape. I may revisit this again tbh!
Brilliant idea, and well executed (y)
Thanks, Paulie. Much appreciated!

Well thought out and good take on them, like how shocked he looks :)
Thanks, Dave.

Exactly the look I was going for. Several dozen selfies later (and sore knees as my tripod didn't extend high enough), I was just about there :)

Hi Ian

Song Title's an interesting one ... dof, tilt, spilled ingredients.

Gagging Order ... nice take, well executed.

Like the idea and the execution is perfect. Tried to get my misses to pose so I could copy the shot, but after 3 hours and I hadn't got the camera out she smelt a rat! :(

Last edited:
Yes, spot on Ian - hands free selfies are never easy but you got perfect focus on the eyes. I like the wb and the vignette.

Very good take on the theme as you say something different, vignette not particularly my cup of tea but a really well executed picture

Great take on the theme with gagging order!

Gagging order, nice take on the theme.

Good focus and lighting. I'd like a little more attention to the actual gag.

Good show.

Cheers.

That is a great idea Ian, and as a self portrait well set up and focused too, liking the vignette that adds good emphasis to your face (y)
Cheers, DK. Much appreciated!

Hi Ian

Song Title's an interesting one ... dof, tilt, spilled ingredients.

Gagging Order ... nice take, well executed.

Thanks, d00d :)
Like the idea and the execution is perfect. Tried to get my misses to pose so I could copy the shot, but after 3 hours and I hadn't got the camera out she smelt a rat! :(
Haha my missus thought I was a right weirdo for this one. Just as well she hasn't seen some of @posiview 's efforts!
Yes, spot on Ian - hands free selfies are never easy but you got perfect focus on the eyes. I like the wb and the vignette.
Thanks, Carl. There were a few takes for sure and I still think I could have got better but the ambient lighting was pretty poor.....and my knees hurt haha.
That's a clever take on the theme. A well captured selfie.
Thanks. I generally hate getting my photo taken so wasn't too comfortable doing it at all!
Very good take on the theme as you say something different, vignette not particularly my cup of tea but a really well executed picture
Thanks, Allan. Another Marmite shot it seems!
Great take on the theme with gagging order!
Cheers :)
Gagging order, nice take on the theme.

Good focus and lighting. I'd like a little more attention to the actual gag.

Good show.

Cheers.
Thanks very much mate. It's not quite what I envisaged right enough. I may give it another bash with the 10-24mm and see if I can introduce some distortion, exaggerating the gag in the centre?

Hi, good luck with this years 52, like you I dropped out mid year last time.

Love the idea for gagging order (although not the sickness for you and your family). You captured a great expression but while I normally like a vignette I do find this one a bit too strong.

Hi, good luck with this years 52, like you I dropped out mid year last time.

Love the idea for gagging order (although not the sickness for you and your family). You captured a great expression but while I normally like a vignette I do find this one a bit too strong.
Thanks Steve. Best of luck to yourself also :)

The vignette does seem to be a little like my Dutch tilt for week 0 in that some like it, some aren't so keen. If I'm honest, I keep changing my mind too!

Well I like the vignette it sort of reminds me of looking through a prison cell door, adds to the atmosphere of oppression. IMHO

Liking gagging order a lot Ian but I'm not too sure about the model :p The vignette draws the eye nicely to the face (y)

Back