weekly : Dave70D 52 for 2017 Week 52 WEATHER COMPLETED

I like the darkness of the moon, but just think it could be a touch lighter or sharper. Its brilliantly framed and you got a good crescent shape, really nice, well done.

Thank you Gremlin, just wish I`d had the sigma on :)

Don't know much about moon shots, I know some do it on a regular basis, but looks good to me and of course perfect for the theme.

Thank you too David :)

Hi Dave ...I love your choice for Hairy reshoot, he looks a real character, well spotted. Lots of good action in your choice for Power, I really like how they're so natural and not posed.
Yep, the moon is Above, faithfully shining down on us ..well captured.

Thank you for looking and for the comments Susie :)

Looong overdue catchup post!
The filament shot for mineral was cool, irrespective of reflections.
Routine's stoat picture was (as everyone said) great.
Although the detail of the fur in your first numbers shot is good, I prefer the one of the post - I like the simplicity of the composition and the contrasting colours.
I'm not sure on the underexposure in dark but I do like the oddly aggressive gull, which is a pretty dark concpt in itself so you can't lose really.
I like the hariy subject's connection with the camera in the your reshoot.
Can't really argue with the moon for above!

Nice placement of moon in 'Above' and restrained contrast works well.

Thank you David :)

Looong overdue catchup post!
The filament shot for mineral was cool, irrespective of reflections.
Routine's stoat picture was (as everyone said) great.
Although the detail of the fur in your first numbers shot is good, I prefer the one of the post - I like the simplicity of the composition and the contrasting colours.
I'm not sure on the underexposure in dark but I do like the oddly aggressive gull, which is a pretty dark concpt in itself so you can't lose really.
I like the hariy subject's connection with the camera in the your reshoot.
Can't really argue with the moon for above!

Thanks for having a look and the comments Nick :)

Attractive - good collection of shots I like 2 best for the theme as I like the interaction. 4 is the better shot for me but not for this theme.
Dark - they are both Dark and the 1st looking at you works best for me.
Hairy Reshoot - he certainly fits the theme and a happy chap too.
Power - I like the second of the 2 shots better it is more interesting
Above - I like the moon shot more but the guy with the pink phone works too.

Attractive - good collection of shots I like 2 best for the theme as I like the interaction. 4 is the better shot for me but not for this theme.
Dark - they are both Dark and the 1st looking at you works best for me.
Hairy Reshoot - he certainly fits the theme and a happy chap too.
Power - I like the second of the 2 shots better it is more interesting
Above - I like the moon shot more but the guy with the pink phone works too.

Thank you for looking and commenting Minx :)

You have to read it all to get the EVOLVED bit.

Most extant orders of Insects developed during the Permian Period. Many of the early groups became Instinct during the mass instinction at the Permo-Triassic boundary, the largest extinction event in the history of the Earth, around 252 Million years ago. The survivors of this event EVOLVED in the Triassic ( 252 to 201 million years ago ) to what are essentially the modern Insect orders that persist to this day. Hope that helps on Evolved :

Bee Fly by David Ore, on Flickr

Just Docking by David Ore, on Flickr

Too Bee or Not by David Ore, on Flickr

Bee fly's amuse me for the name alone, add to that the fury body and long proboscis, they are a an interesing thing for sure....

Last shot has some very nice detail in it.....

Three nice macros, I quite like the wing movement in the second one, thanks for the natural history lesson, you learn something new everyday

I was out with my Sigma lens yesterday too David trying to get some shots of flying insects - you did a lot better than me! I love the detail on the dandelion and the bee in the last. I had never heard of a bee fly until I saw your shot yesterday morning, and couldn't remember seeing one before. Then yesterday afternoon I found four of them on our forget me nots! Moving far too fast for a decent shot though.

Is it that time of year again already! #3 is a beaut, great detail & colour (y) ... but it looks like it should be rotated CW quite a bit, but I could be wrong.

I was out with my Sigma lens yesterday too David trying to get some shots of flying insects - you did a lot better than me! I love the detail on the dandelion and the bee in the last. I had never heard of a bee fly until I saw your shot yesterday morning, and couldn't remember seeing one before. Then yesterday afternoon I found four of them on our forget me nots! Moving far too fast for a decent shot though.

Thank you Emma, they do not stay still for long either :)

Is it that time of year again already! #3 is a beaut, great detail & colour (y) ... but it looks like it should be rotated CW quite a bit, but I could be wrong.

Thank you too David, it was at the right angle, as the bee was climbing up the side :)

Great shots, great details! I particularly like #3. Amazing what DoF you get with your macro lens at f/8.

Of the three, I prefer 'Too Bee or Not' for the angle and the pleasing colours. Nice details of the bee and flower. A very good effort.

It's #3 for me too. He looks so comfortable there and the detail is great (y)

Thank you Stan and Jill for looking and the comments, I like #3 too :)

Evolve(d) - Despite a (long distant) degree in Biology I still can't get my head round convergent evolution, flies that look and act like bees - help. As for getting photos of them while they are flying .... hats off to you.

Fits the theme, but as DK says bit busy feels a bit rushed

Thank you Allan, the bloke was across the road, so had to crop it a bit :)

Evolve(d) - Despite a (long distant) degree in Biology I still can't get my head round convergent evolution, flies that look and act like bees - help. As for getting photos of them while they are flying .... hats off to you.

Thank you David for the words :)

Love your bees Dave, I've spent many an hour photographing them and it's not easy, I think the last one is the stand out one purely because of the colour. I've never heard of a bee fly, I'll definitely be in the garden looking for one if the sun decides to come out.

Hold ... I thought it a rather tenuous link at first but it makes sense with the explanation, I think it would take a crop to add more focus on what he's actually doing.

Hi Dave,
Above - Plenty of detail in above and good use of negative space :)
Evolve(d) - #3 for me because extreme close up. Fantastic detail showing exactly how bees pollinate.
Hold - Agree with the comments on the clutter, but it's a real life shot so sometimes you have no control.
Does anyone else think that the gardener looks like he should be singing 'smells like teen spirit' ?

Bang on theme, holding on he certainly is.(y)

Thank you Shirley :)

Love your bees Dave, I've spent many an hour photographing them and it's not easy, I think the last one is the stand out one purely because of the colour. I've never heard of a bee fly, I'll definitely be in the garden looking for one if the sun decides to come out.

Hold ... I thought it a rather tenuous link at first but it makes sense with the explanation, I think it would take a crop to add more focus on what he's actually doing.

Thank you Susie, I think it might of been pushing it if I`d cropped much more :)

Hi Dave,
Above - Plenty of detail in above and good use of negative space :)
Evolve(d) - #3 for me because extreme close up. Fantastic detail showing exactly how bees pollinate.
Hold - Agree with the comments on the clutter, but it's a real life shot so sometimes you have no control.
Does anyone else think that the gardener looks like he should be singing 'smells like teen spirit' ?

Thank you Tim, I thought he would of looked better on a surf board instead of gardening :)

Back