Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

What a great expression, I actually think it works well without the explosion of the party popper. I think it would have taken away from the expression which is what really makes the shot work. I agree that for me the DOF works with the sharp focus on the hands but enough detail to still see the expression. Lovely shot and a good idea, I might just use this to get a few shots of my son who won't normally pose for me.
Thanks Steve - hope it works!

Without the expression you had nowt lol.......love the image.
Cheers Mark :)

I too was going to suggest a square crop, would look great as a square canvas.

(y)(y)

The lower petal makes it a compromise as if you keep the background equal it puts the middle of the flower off centre. Choices choices.

Crop doesn't work for me I like the detail in the leaves, great detail in the flower itself and strong colours a nice vibrant pic

Square for sure doesnt work Em, the original is very nice image and on theme....

Super shot, I think the first one sits best, the petal layout is a little too uneven for the square crop and makes it look a little awkward. Well done.

Great photo, I like the original crop better! Brilliant colours and super sharp.

BOOM. Power is a great shot. Agree with Steve DoF being slightly too much on the hands but it's not biggie and you could argue it focuses on the impending boom.

Hi Emma, this is my first visit since Week 0 so a lot to catch up on, and I do like the Russian dolls image you ended up with after knocking the tripod :) I used a set of those dolls for Order too, and like you I struggled with the shiny surfaces, but this is really unusual and strangely effective :) Other favourites are your first image for Comfort with the soft-looking hat and scarf and sharp blue eyes (if I had an image like that I would definitely use it for my profile pic, too!), the marbles for Smooth with their bold colours and reflections, the black and white image for Structure with sharp details set off by lovely OOF areas in the background, and Power with that great expression and sense of fun and anticipation of what is to follow.

Some super images so far and I'll be sure to keep up from now on :)

Uncropped for me. Pretty good detail ;) Interesting concept, makes you realise we don't usually look down from Above at a flower like that.

For me the wider version works better. The colours just seem more balanced and the colours are great. Nothing too bright or too dark. The square crop would work better if it was a close up macro shot. Concentrating on the stamen and stigma.
Just my opion though. (y)

Crop works for me Emma, a lovely shot from above showing the beautiful flower and the middle is nice clear and sharp with good focus :)
Thanks Dave - it was definitely worth a try, but I think I'm sticking with the original!

The lower petal makes it a compromise as if you keep the background equal it puts the middle of the flower off centre. Choices choices.

Crop doesn't work for me I like the detail in the leaves, great detail in the flower itself and strong colours a nice vibrant pic

Square for sure doesnt work Em, the original is very nice image and on theme....

Super shot, I think the first one sits best, the petal layout is a little too uneven for the square crop and makes it look a little awkward. Well done.

Great photo, I like the original crop better! Brilliant colours and super sharp.

I also prefer the original shot, I prefer that bit more leaf and space around it. You've caught the colours beautifully.

For me the wider version works better. The colours just seem more balanced and the colours are great. Nothing too bright or too dark. The square crop would work better if it was a close up macro shot. Concentrating on the stamen and stigma.
Just my opion though. (y)

Thanks everyone - I prefer the wider shot too. I liked the light and shade in the leaves as much as the flower I think.

Uncropped for me. Pretty good detail ;) Interesting concept, makes you realise we don't usually look down from Above at a flower like that.
I don't think I could have got more detail all over without focus stacking at that distance - I probably lost some with f16 anyway. I do find those close ups of flowers fascinating - they are all so very different.

BOOM. Power is a great shot. Agree with Steve DoF being slightly too much on the hands but it's not biggie and you could argue it focuses on the impending boom.
Thank you Dom - it was set up for the 'explosion'...but I think it works as its.

Hi Emma, this is my first visit since Week 0 so a lot to catch up on, and I do like the Russian dolls image you ended up with after knocking the tripod :) I used a set of those dolls for Order too, and like you I struggled with the shiny surfaces, but this is really unusual and strangely effective :) Other favourites are your first image for Comfort with the soft-looking hat and scarf and sharp blue eyes (if I had an image like that I would definitely use it for my profile pic, too!), the marbles for Smooth with their bold colours and reflections, the black and white image for Structure with sharp details set off by lovely OOF areas in the background, and Power with that great expression and sense of fun and anticipation of what is to follow.

Some super images so far and I'll be sure to keep up from now on :)
It's great to see you back Andrea and thanks so much for taking the time to comment in such detail. It's much appreciated!

Hello! Time for a catch-up...
Whole is beautiful, it's art.
Structure looks almost three-dimensional - I prefer the mono simply because the colours distract from observing the structure whereas the conversion really bring it out.
Numbers is bright and really good fun.
I really like Dark, the texture on the shell is lovely and its placement makes for an interesting composition.
Power - such a shame you didn't capture the pop, but those things move pretty fast!
Great composition and colours in Above. Maybe a square crop would have worked if it had had more space but the end result looked a bit cramped.

Hello! Time for a catch-up...
Whole is beautiful, it's art.
Structure looks almost three-dimensional - I prefer the mono simply because the colours distract from observing the structure whereas the conversion really bring it out.
Numbers is bright and really good fun.
I really like Dark, the texture on the shell is lovely and its placement makes for an interesting composition.
Power - such a shame you didn't capture the pop, but those things move pretty fast!
Great composition and colours in Above. Maybe a square crop would have worked if it had had more space but the end result looked a bit cramped.
Thanks so much for taking so much time and thought in your catch up Nick - they are very encouraging words :)

Lovely textures in that shell, and I like the theme connection too.

excellent black and white image cant fault that at all, you are let off

Lovely textures in that shell, and I like the theme connection too.
Thanks Mark - it was good to learn something new :)

Very interesting, very much like the light.:)
Thank you so much Shirley! The light was really too bright. I tried diffusing it, but the shot came out very flat. Then, because the snail was on a tree, the leaves kept moving over the shot and by waiting I managed to get it not in full sun. I'm really pleased it worked!

Lovely texture in the shot of the shell, goes well in mono too :)
Thanks David :)

excellent black and white image cant fault that at all, you are let off
Phew!! Thanks Allan :D

You are forgiven Emma :) another excellent photo, in fact I think I like this one better, really well focused with lots of detail in the shell, and well chosen for the theme ...strange things aren't they, I really couldn't imagine eating one !

Gorgeous tulip by the way ...love the angle and the light through the leaves.. the square crop does work and focus your eyes more on the flower, but it seems a shame to lose those lovely extra colours.

Great light, great focus and very well processed!

Lovely detail in the shell and you did well waiting for the light as it's very nice on the shell, works well in B&W
Thanks Steve - the colours on the shell weren't even enough for a colour version.

Good detail, nicely focused and framed. (y)
Thanks David :)

You are forgiven Emma :) another excellent photo, in fact I think I like this one better, really well focused with lots of detail in the shell, and well chosen for the theme ...strange things aren't they, I really couldn't imagine eating one !

Gorgeous tulip by the way ...love the angle and the light through the leaves.. the square crop does work and focus your eyes more on the flower, but it seems a shame to lose those lovely extra colours.
Thanks for the kind words Susie - I prefer this one too :)

Oooooo nice shell that Em, real nice low key image and with very spot on lighting, very nice :clap:
Thanks Dean - I got lucky with the light in the end :)

Above; lovely detail and colour. Spot on focus.

Evolved; nice texture and composition, the black and white treatment suit the image.
Thanks for the kind feedback Stan :)

Great light, great focus and very well processed!
Thanks Bernd...still making up these conversions as I go along!

Brrnd says it all Emma, light, focus and processing are spot on.
Thanks Jill :)

Evolve(d) - Great lighting and textures.
Thank you David!

Hey Emma.

Above - The wider shot is my preference, I like it in it's environment.
Evolve - Shallow enough DoF to keep you subject in focus while blurring the background, allowing the subject to attract the eye.
The shades are so similar that it couldn't have worked with a deeper DoF.

That looks like "b;**dy stop there you disobedient thing".
Great contrasting expressions, concern and completely unconcerned.
Improvements??? Well, if the pony had been on the road, you would have had a leading line, but that's completely out of your control, so I think great for being in the right place at teh right time, and with a camera (y)

Back