weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2018 - Week 52 Showcase added & COMPLETE

Name
Andrea
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in again, this time on the back of my first completed 52! Before that I posted 51 photos in 2013, just one in 2014, reached halfway in 2015, and 18 in 2016.

My aim in 2018 will be first of all to finish again!
Secondly, I will take a new image for each theme and will not use an archive image.
Thirdly, I will try to challenge myself with new styles and techniques where the opportunity arises. I have found this to be a big bonus of previous 52 attempts and has resulted in some of my favourite images.
Finally, I will have fun and hopefully share some of the beauty and idiosyncrasies of the Isle of Man :)

Thank you for looking in.

Week 0 - Your Area
Week 1 - Gate
Week 2 - People
Week 3 - Stark
Week 4 - Over
Week 5 - Age(ing)
Week 6 - Sharp
Week 7 - Guard(ed)
Week 8 - Thick
Week 9 - Abundance
Week 10 - Heavy
Week 11 - Wet
Week 12 - Juxtaposition
Week 13 - Oval and reshoot Week 1 Gate
Week 14 - Straight
Week 15 - Unattractive
Week 16 - Shadow
Week 17 - Beautiful
Week 18 - Low
Week 19 - Match
Week 20 - Music/al
Week 21 - Hard
Week 22 - Creatures
Week 23 - Synthetic
Week 24 - Rural and reshoot
Week 25 - Bright
Week 26 - Elegant
Week 27 - Derelict
Week 28 - Home
Week 29 - Round
Week 30 - Cook(ing)
Week 31 - Short
Week 32 - Forked
Week 33 - Refuse
Week 34 - Dark
Week 35 - Splash
Week 36 - Pull(ed)
Week 37 - Art
Week 38 - Bizarre
Week 39 - Wild
Week 40 - Autumn
Week 41 - Hollow
Week 42 - Model
Week 43 - Corner
Week 44 - Filthy
Week 45 - Mark
Week 46 - Lost
Week 47 - Monstrous
Week 48 - Balanced
Week 49 - Crushed
Week 50 - Motion
Week 51 - Party
Week 52 - Showcase

And FINISHED for the second time!

Last edited:
Well done Andrea for completing 2017. Have loved looking at your shots of Manx life over the year. Good luck for 2018 but most of all don't sweat it and just enjoy yourself.:)

Happy New Year

Looking forward to seeing your shots Andrea :)

Thanks, Dave, and yours too :)

Well done Andrea for completing 2017. Have loved looking at your shots of Manx life over the year. Good luck for 2018 but most of all don't sweat it and just enjoy yourself.:)

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to you too, John, and thank you. I haven't quite finished last year's yet but it'll be done this week :) Glad you've enjoyed the Manx angle on some of the images this year, and I will take that advice and try not to get too caught up on the tricky themes. After the 2017 52 I think I've learned that sometimes I need to post something/anything and move on, rather than try for my ideal and then find myself lagging behind.

And I am especially pleased to see you in for 2018 after getting sooooooo close to completing one previously, really looking forward to your phot52 images as always (y)

Thank you kindly, DK. Your encouragement has been appreciated and the aim for this year (once 2017 is complete) is to finish another one and keep up to date this time :)

Week 00 - Your Area

00 Your Area
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I wasn't going to bother with the practice theme as I was racing to finish my 2017 52, but having done that and with hours to spare I thought this one was worth sharing. It is part of the National Folk Museum at Cregneash, a working farm and living museum in the south of the Isle of Man. It is less than two miles from my home so shows part of the local area and also gives a snapshot of the typical winter weather :)

Last edited:
Nice shot to start your 2018 challenge, Andrea. Not an easy scene to balance the exposure with the bright sky and dark land area but you've done a good job.

Thanks, Stan. I exposed for the sky and then managed to extract some surprisingly clean detail from the shadows in PP, so I'm happy to share credit with the little Fuji :)

Like the way the white on the stones (?lichen) lead to the white walls of the cottages Andrea . Makes for a nice continuity in the leading line; great sky(y)

The sky looks very threatening and adds to the apparent bleakness of the farm. Great shot.

week 0 - round your area, that looks like a lovely little place, lovely detail in the sky, great composition with the track leading up through the middle of the frame, has me wondering what lies ahead.

Thanks, Mandy, more muddy lane and farm buildings, that's what lies ahead :D Glad you like it, the light was going but thankfully there was just enough to keep the foreground details and the stormy sky.

Like the way the white on the stones (?lichen) lead to the white walls of the cottages Andrea . Makes for a nice continuity in the leading line; great sky(y)

Thanks, John, it was so gloomy that I didn't really notice the detail on either side of the lane until I got the image on the computer, but it does complement the buildings well (y)

You are doing a great job with that Fuji Andrea, a lovely shot for the theme and you did well on not blowing the sky so well done :)

Thanks, Dave, I was pleased with the way it dealt with the dynamic range in this scene. I exposed for the sky and recovered some good clean details in PP. I think the Nikon's days might be numbered...

Very nice image Andrea love the track leading you into the image. Some loveley details in the stone work.

Thanks, Mark, after a little PP it looks better than I might have imagined at the time :)

The sky looks very threatening and adds to the apparent bleakness of the farm. Great shot.

Thank you, Liz, I agree the sky seems to balance the scene nicely and I'm pleased the gloomy atmosphere has carried to the computer screen :)

From behind to ahead of the game :)

Good strong leading lines, the sky has plenty to say for itself, lovely vibrant colours and on top of that, it's on theme and well composed. What's not to like.

I know, I'm putting myself under some early pressure to stay on the pace, Tim :D Thank you, with a little PP to bring out the foreground details it has worked better than I might have hoped at the time, as I stumbled around in the gloom!

:agree: with Tim, good start to the year

Thanks, Chris, glad you like it.

The lead in lines are nice on this...

Thank you, Mark (y)

I like this. As was said previously the exposure balance is very good with great detail in both the stonework and sky. Lovely job.

A strong start and good to see you back again, not that you have been gone long as it is but you know what I mean, I like the lack of anything modernish such as tv aerials, telegraph poles

Works really well for me Ma'am, nice lead in from the track & walls to what appears to be a pleasant little cottage area.(y)

George.

Seriously good Andrea

Nice compo with lots hidden behind walls, good detail throughout ... loving the FG wideangleness.

Great shot. Looks homely yet also quite dramatic and powerful

A strong start and good to see you back again, not that you have been gone long as it is but you know what I mean, I like the lack of anything modernish such as tv aerials, telegraph poles

Thanks Allan, and that's a good point - nothing like that to be seen. I remember there was an old telephone box up there, which was painted green instead of red and blended in very well, but it was removed fairly recently.

Works really well for me Ma'am, nice lead in from the track & walls to what appears to be a pleasant little cottage area.(y)

George.

Thanks, George, it is a lovely little village/ living museum and very popular with visitors during the summer months.

Seriously good Andrea

Nice compo with lots hidden behind walls, good detail throughout ... loving the FG wideangleness.

Thank you, David, very kind. It's one of those images that blossomed on the computer screen, once I recovered a little of the foreground gloom.

That's a nice "my area" to have, nice composition. Love the walls.

Thanks, Clive, it's quite pretty and I really should pop along with my camera for a longer visit!

Great shot. Looks homely yet also quite dramatic and powerful

Thanks Ian, it is a nice spot and I think the sky adds atmosphere as the evening was drawing in.

Lovely Rustic old buildings and the wall leads you nicely in to the scene. works really well.

Week 1 - Gate

01 Gate
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I struggled a bit with this one. Went out and got this image at the weekend in challenging light, tried processing it and wasn't happy with the results. I was able to get out again today and tried some other gates and locations, but when sitting down to process them I thought I'd give this one last try, as I was so lucky that both horses wandered over to say hello and then almost posed for me with the sun setting behind them.

Today I got much better results so although I can see all the faults with it I still like the overall scene and prefer it to any subsequent efforts. Don't be too harsh; I just like it!

Oh, and the gate is actually wonky :) It hangs unevenly and when the horses (Bob and Valiant) leaned over it I thought it was going to give way.

Last edited:
I think it's a great image - it's got great colour and warmth to it - well done

Shot of the week. :clap:

An otherwise boring 5 bar gate comes alive. It's red, it's wonky, it has two majestic creature saying hello. Beauties, backlit by the winter sun yet your camera has caught the scene just perfectly.

Beautiful photo, great colours and great horses. Nothing to criticise!

Back