weekly Minx 52 for 2017

Thank you for you comments much appreciated

but the structure just seems a little bit small in the frame.

but agree with Emma that the structure does look small in the frame

Here is another shot with the peir a bit larger in the frame which I guess would have fitted the theme better but I prefered the overall look of the one I posted

Herne Bay
by Alison White, on Flickr

I prefer the first with the structure being a little smaller, I like how the wind turbines fade in and out in the distance. (y)

I like the idea for the theme, Alison. But not sure about the shelving ends and the strong shadows. Maybe a tighter square-cropped, abstract image?

Hope you don't mind.

32744527010_712af47a2d_c.jpg

My gosh that looks like an old leather-bound set Alison .. to be treasured. Makes a nice abstract. I quite like Stan's edit for the reasons he mentioned

Hi Ali,
Structure - I'll go with #1, as others have said, it gives it a feeling of isolation and when zoomed in on flickr, it's nice the way the birds in flight become clearer.

Whole - I quite like Stan's version as it squares the off square bookshelf, but then it isn't 'whole' any more, so I'll go with your version :)

sure is some prop you have there minx.

I must say Stan's edit improves things.

Whole - I quite like Stan's version as it squares the off square bookshelf, but then it isn't 'whole' any more, so I'll go with your version :)

Could you have got a bit squarer(?)/ lower on to the bookcase perhaps. LC's right Stan's crop squares it up but loses the "whole"ness

Structure: Nice subtle tones set off the structure nicely.
Whole: That's one old set of books, i must admit i do like the cropped version.

Last edited:
I too like the cropped version but as has already been said it is no longer whole. The books are my parents and are actually tiny but readable and the entire bookshelf stands about 1ft tall I did play with tipping it to reduce shadows but the angles were wrong and I did not wish to spend too long on the picture whilst visiting them.

full picture
whole by Alison White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Numbers - just dropping my son off at school for a school trip and had a little time to spare these numbers caught my eye

Numbers

Inspired shot for Routine Alison, love the perspective and the sense of movement the dof gives it.

Numbers too is an eye catching shot. The numerals look very Hary Potterish :D

Glad you are still here and catching up :D

Great catch-up. The one that stands out for me is routine. Great PoV from inside the shopping trolley.

Agree with the above comment routine is a perfect fit for the theme, nicely taken too

Hi Minx.
Routine - Definitely sells the theme. Not often you see Tescos that quiet. Good use of shallow DoF.
Numbers - Excellent find, great dark background as befits 4am. Good use of the rule of thirds composition.

Loving your Routine, what a brilliant idea ... Fake Plastic Trees come to mind. :D

Routine, spot on theme, good shot and I always wondered what a supermarket looked like!
Numbers, really like this shot, not sure how you took it but it works.

Numbers, really like this shot, not sure how you took it but it works.

The the Numbers Shot was quite easy I was dropping my son off at school as some ungodly hour of the morning and noticed the clock tower on top of the supermarket whose Carpark I was Parking in (they have an agreement with the school and anyway they were closed at 4AM) I had my trusty little camera with me and took the opportunity to grab a shot

Last edited:
I went for a walk to do some catch up photos I realised I had missed smooth and after completely failing to get a good long exposure shot I found
this patch of river was smooth enough for a good reflection.

smooth

I looked up to see what was above me and saw

Above 1

and

Above 2

Then I went across a little bridge and I was above a riverlet

Above 3

the light was dimming and it was begining to get dark

Dark

A lovely walk in the woods and nearly caught up

Love the attract shot and Im also a sucker for cheery blossom, so above 2 for me.....

Thanks for the comments guys
here is my power shot so now I only have this weeks theme to do (I think)

Power

Power

Last edited:
Great catch up! Two that stand out for me are attract and smooth with an amazing reflection.

Having just completed a big catch-up of my own, well done on yours :claps: My favourites so far are the super marbles for Mineral, both images for Structure because of the way it's isolated in the scene and the way the sky and sea almost blend together, the great idea and viewpoint for Routine, and the lovely blossom for Above.

Hi Alison,

Attract - A difficult shot with all of the angles that the light can catch. I think it works, though I might have tried for a deeper DoF.
Smooth - The river almost doesn't look like it's flowing, the reflections are that clear. Good find :)
Above - Yhe second shot for me, it has a definite focal point, whereas in #1 I don't really know where to look. Fantastically sharp detail in #2 (y)
Dark - 1/16000th second exposure according to the exif, and iso3200. Just goes to show how much these compacts have come on. The 1" sensor must help a lot in letting you have settings like that, yet still getting a decent shot (I don't think an image from my TZ8 would have been usable at those settings).
Power - A shame not to have captured some motion blur, little or no wind on the day? It certainly looks calm.

Hi Alison,

Power - A shame not to have captured some motion blur, little or no wind on the day? It certainly looks calm.

Thanks for all your comments as to my power shot it was indeed a calm day maybe I will go back on a windier day for a reshoot and try for some motion blur

Back