weekly overbez's 52 for 2013.... ** COMPLETE **

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Really don't think I can manage a 365, but surely I can do a 52. :shrug:

The only extra rules I'm setting myself are below....
  • to make sure I use all 3 lenses I have - I've decided that any rolling 4 week period will use each one at least once.
  • And also that at least 1 in 4 weeks will have no PP applied, beyond straightening and cropping in Picasa.

Actually, I'm not playing by my rules any more - thought I may find myself reluctant to swap lenses, but that is proving not to be the case; and to post an image I'm happy with, seems to need just a bit of PP each week. I think the shot is more important than following rules!

Week 1 - SIN - Taken with 35mm f/1.8, PP
Week 2 - Season - 18-55mm kit lens, PP
Week 3 - Gravity - 35mm f/1.8, PP
Week 4 - Wild - 55-300mm, No PP
Week 5 - Space - 18-55mm, slight PP
Week 6 - Work - 35mm, slight PP
Week 7 - Gluttony - 18-55mm, slight PP
Week 8 - Time - 35mm - slight PP to tidy up
Week 9 - Juxtaposition - 18-55mm kit lens - slight PP to brighten background
Week 10 - Letter(s) - Mostly 55-300mm, PP to create montage
Week 11 - Electric - 18-55 and 35mm, some HDR to one.
Week 12 - Direction - 18-55mm, slight HDR & B&W conversion
Week 13 - Tacky - 18-55mm, minimal processing
Week 14 - Value - 18-55mm, minimal PP
Week 15 - Greed - 55-300mm, minimal PP
Week 16 - Angles - 18-55mm, and 55-300mm slight PP
Week 17 - Rustic - 35mm f/1.8. No PP.
Week 18 - Kind - 18-55mm, No PP
Week 19 - Vertical - 55-300mm, No PP
Week 19 - Re-shoot of Gluttony - 18-55mm, PP
Week 20 - Pattern - 35mm f/1.8, very little PP
Week 21 - Movement - 55-300mm. Slight PP.
Week 22 - Below - 55-300mm, No PP.
Week 23 - Size - Reverse 50mm on 55-300, and 18-55mm, Some PP to merge.
Week 24 - Process - 18-55mm, Processing?? Oh yeah!! :LOL:
Week 25 - Rock - Reversed 50mm, at f/16
Week 26 - Pair - 18-55mm - Hardly any PP ;)
Week 27 - Shape - 18-55mm, no PP (exceot crop).
Week 28 - Plenty - 18-55mm, PP for stitched panorama
Week 29 - Speed - 18-55, No PP.
Week 30 - Step(s) - 18-55 (again), Not a lot of PP.
Week 31 - Mono - 18-55mm (yet again), Lots of PP.
Week 27 - re-shoot of one of the previous themes... - 18-55mm - fake TS effect.
Week 32 - Connection - 35mm f/1.8 - Just processed.
Week 33 - Beginning - 18-55mm - fair bit of processing.
Week 34 - Still - 55-300mm - No real PP.
Week 35 - Whimsical - 35mm f/1.8, tiny PP plus lettering
Week 36 - Curve - 18-55mm, Processing to blend exposures.
Week 37 - Power - 35mm, f/1.8, No PP
Week 38 - Solitude - 55-300mm and 18-55mm. No PP.
Week 39 - Sweet - 18-55mm A bit of PP :)
Week 40 - Cut - 35mm f/1.8. No PP
Week 40 - reshoot of sweet - 55-300mm, no PP, 'cept NR on background
Week 41 - Live - 18-55mm - maybe a little bit of PP. ;)
Week 42 - Reflection - 18-55mm, Stitch of shots in Microsoft ICE
Week 43 - Melt - 35mm f/1.8
Week 44 - Left - 55-300mm, No PP
Week 45 - Food - 35mm f/1.8. No PP
Week 46 - Art - 18-55mm, Some PP ;)
Week 47 - Friendship - 35mm f/1.8. Some PP
Week 48 - Sleek - 35mm f/1.8 (again..) no PP
Week 49 - Colour - 35mm f/1.8, PP for the SC
Week 50 - Fantasy - 35mm f/1.8, PP?? Oh yeah!
Week 51 - Fit - 35mm f/1.8, No major PP
Week 52 - Water - 18-55mm, Quite heavily processed. ;)

I've already taken SIN, as you can see I'm doing this to try to expand my mindset and to think outside the box a bit more, and not go for an obvious choice.

On black on Flickr

Taken with my new 35mm f/1.8. At 1.8 to try to get shallowest DOF possible, which I then exaggerated in GIMP, and desaturated the red of the C and AC buttons to avoid them drawing attention.

Right - I'm committed, I'll pop into a few others threads next. (y)

Last edited:
Welcome Graham - nice rules you have set yourself, good luck with your 52 :)

Sin - Liking your first image, a nice different take on the theme, liking the narrow dof and the composition as a whole, nice lighting and good black background - Great Start (y)

PS. don't forget to add 1 image (no comments) and a link to THIS thread, most will subscribe to this main thread to keep up with new photo's (y)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=456017

excellent dof on this and good thinking about the subject matter :clap:

Hi Graham...welcome to the 52's madhouse (y)

Good to see you jumping straight in....cracking take on the theme..nicely out of the box , good DOF , like the angle & the BG...yeah , good stuff mister :)

Hi. Lots of thought had been put into this. I do like the cropped corns and composition. The slither of DOF works well.

Being über critical, the blue top left drains my eye a tad....as said, this is being very critical.

Good start.

Cheers.

Nice DOF.
I like the way there is almost a story through the letters on the calculator

STD (could be an O ) x2 = sin mr (you're in the) C AC

Or it could just be my mind ;)

Wow - thanks everyone, I ummed and ahhed for a while before deciding to dive in here.

Now you mention it Andy, the blue does demand attention ever so slightly - I caught the red buttons and brought those down a fair bit - should have looked the other way too.

And yes i thought a fair bit about composition as the sin is fairly hidden, I knew I had to use shallow DOF to limit distractions, and placed it centrally to hopefully draw the eye.

Bring on round 2!

This is a great start to your 52, Graham! :clap: I love your take on this week's theme.

Thanks again - in hindsight I may have been better off stopping down to f/3 or 4 to get into a sharper area of the lens, and then blurring in PP like I did anyway......

But I'm enjoying the shallow DOF from the f/1.8 at the moment, although one of my rules is to change lenses week to week!

Hi Graham,
Good thinking on your week 1 image. The very narrow dof draws the viewers eye to the subject, I like the diagonal composition too. Good work all round. (y) Iain

Good one, very clever take on the theme! It would be perfect if you'd been able to completely isolate the sin key, but it works great. Brilliant control of DoF.

Original Graham, just show how diverse SIN can be interpreted. DOF really good, inspiring to a beginner like me. Congrats!

Thats a really clever take on the theme! i love it, and great DOF (y)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone - wonder if week 2 will be released a bit early... seeing as it's still 2 days till the official release date for SIN? :LOL:

Hi Christine - I've only actually put Brad into one of mine (Pinky Claus), and never been reduced to a meerkat...

But I think they should stay locked in that thread - once they escape there who knows where they could appear next. :LOL:

This was the first of the maths shots I saw - great idea!

great take on the theme, miss my 35mm, its a great lens.. really like the narrow dof and the composition as a whole works well.. well lit too

Good idea... it definitely says 'sin'. Can't argue with that wafer thin DOF either! :)

Right - Week 2.

Was a bit of a tricky one this. This is our local park, thought I'd try to get a feeling of the season (winter), but keep the feeling that the park, although not being used much - is still very much available for use. Hence the selective colour, and movement in the swing and roundabout.

Doesn't scream SC, which is neither good or bad. The red really pops and you've got some nice movement in the swingy thing :D

I'd loose a bit of the FG, to draw the eye more into the park.

Cheers.

Doh - you are sooooo right. I spent so long painting in the colour, I was happy to just be finished with it.

8382656759_e92e1ae954_b.jpg

Sorry just getting round to commenting on both images.

Really like your first one Sin, love how you've got the diagonal DOF, i like the cropping and also the black background around the calc! Cant really pick up on any negatives.

Im a fan of selective coloring, i know its not everyones cup of tea, in this image i feel it helps with the "wintery" cold feel. I also like the movement in the swingy things. In my opinion another great submission.

I like both your images, although it looks as though "season" may have been over sharpened?

the selective colour works on this but a better angle might of been better to remove the pathway

I like the selective colour - a bit of hope in the bleakness... looking to Spring. Snow on the path too would have been ideal, but you can't have everything.(y)

Thanks guys, glad the SC has been well received, I spent AGES on that, tried all sorts of ways, but ended up simply painting in all the colour from the saturated one above the B&W layer below.

I really should have sat on it for a few hours before uploading, but I was so relieved to have gotten all the colour in that I wanted!

In response to Blondie's suggestion here, I thought I'd pop up the SOOC jpg from this one.

DSC_0565.JPG

I took the RAW file, made two copies, one saturated for the colour, one mono for the rest, with contrast boosted and exposure tweaked to taste! Then into PS where I used a layer mask to literally paint over all the areas I wanted the colour to come through. If I hadn't found the "click - shift - click" method of painting a straight line I think I'd have given up! Various size brushes helped with the different bar thicknesses. And used an adjustment layer + mask to reduce the saturation on the red bus thing in the centre.

And then a straighten, and crop (thanks Andy (y)) and we were there.

I did then resize, added light vignette and sharpened, so possible I could have overdone it here.

Last edited:
Doh - you are sooooo right. I spent so long painting in the colour, I was happy to just be finished with it.

8382656759_e92e1ae954_b.jpg

Having read your MO, I recon you got what you were after, so no crit from me other than good shot, (y)

wonder what next week will bring?

:)

Back