weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
After completing my first 52 last year, I wasn't going to go round again... But I think I've changed my mind... :)

Week 1 - Line - 18-55mm lens, slight PP
Week 2 - Play - 18-55mm lens, slight PP
Week 3 - Close - 55-300mm lens, slight PP
Week 4 - Bubble - 35mm f/1.8, no PP :)
Week 5 - Smokey - 35mm f/1.8, slight PP to tidy
Week 6 - Mineral - 35mm f/1.8, and 55-300 with reversed 50mm - PP to tidy up and combine
Week 7 - Sense - 18-55mm lens, very little PP
Week 8 - Ending - 18-55mm lens, slight perspective correction, clone, crop
Week 9 - Positive - 18-55mm kit lens. PP to blend face onto eggs!
Week 10 - Time - 55-300mm lens, slight PP (Warming, saturation, foreground blur)
Week 11 - Swirl - 18-55mm kit lens, no PP. :)
Week 12 - Linked - 18-55mm kit lens. Just B&W conversion.
Week 13 - Step - 18-55mm and 35mm f/1.8. Some on the first, and a big whack on the second.
Week 14 - Nature - 55-300mm. No PP :)
Week 15 - Action - 55-300mm. No PP on single image, :), PP to merge 4 into 1 on second.
Week 16 - Mono - 18-55mm kit lens, Fair bit of PP, and 55-300mm No PP. :)
Week 17 - Twisted - 35mm f/1.8, PP mostly for composition :(
Week 18 - Fresh - 35mm ff/1.8. No PP, (just a bit of cloning) :)
Week 19 Shape - 18-55mm kit lens, Some PP.
Week 20 - Numbers - 18-55mm kits lens, Fair bit of PP.
Week 21 - Strong - 35mm f/1.8, no PP
Week 22 - Texture, 35mm f/1.8, no PP. (No time!)
Week 23 - Wild - 55-300mm, No PP
Week 24- Dream - 55-300mm, no PP
Week 25 - Vertical, 18-55mm, PP to merge 4 shots into vertorama
Week 26 - YUM!, 55-300mm, no major PP
Week 27 - Loud, 55-300mm, No PP, Reshot with week 28 too
Week 28 - Reshoot chosen, 55-300mm, Little PP
Week 29 - Skill, posted with Week 28, 55-300mm, fair bit of PP.
Week 30 - Half - 35mm f/1.8, PP to merge 2 shots
Weeks 31 to 34. Architectural, Promise, Sharp, Pure..... :) all with kit lens, 18-55mm
Week 35 - Sparkle - 55-300mm, simple processing
Week 36 - Fall - 18-55mm kit lens, again, simple PP
Week 37 - Communicate - 35mm f/1.8. Very little PP. (Fair bit of work before the shot. :))
Week 38 - Dark - 18-55mm kit lens, bit of PP to blacken and merge.
Week 39 - Big (JOKER) - 18-55mm, little PP
Week 40 - Cut - 50-300mm, bit of cloning ;)
Week 41 - Balance - 18-55mm kit lens, No real PP :)
Week 42 - Change - 35mm f/1.8 lens, 5 shots, only PP to merge into one image
Week 43 - Reshoot of BIG, 18-55mm kit lens, no PP
Week 44 - Live, posted with week 43, 18-55mm kit lens. No PP
Week 45 - First - 55-300mm, no real PP.
Week 46 - Smooth - 18-55mm, No real PP
Week 47 - Attached - 35mm f/1.8. No PP
Week 48 - Energy - 35mm f/1.8, No PP
Week 49 - Round - 55-300mm. PP to sharpen, add contrast, crop.
Week 50 - Nonsense - 55-300mm, PP to add some more pasta o_O
Week 51 - Extravagant - 35mm f/1.8, No PP
Week 52 - Support - 35mm f/1.8, no PP

Last edited:
Week 1 - Line

Stood in the kitchen yesterday afternoon, late afternoon sun sneaking in through the side window across the worktop.....

Also, for each week I'm going to post up an un-edited version, SOOC, which I hope will be of interest.. (y)
Here's the link for this weeks. >>>>>> Week 1 un-edited <<<<<<

:banana:

Hi Graham
Wonderful what a bit of bright sunlight can inspire.
On theme, a number of lines, straight , wavy, diag. Well composed with the sinuous lines of the tines flowing to where the diags are pointing. Quite like the idea of the SOOC shot - altho maybe a hostage to fortune as you might get comments such as 'I would have done it this way....'. So I will start the ball rolling :D - like the desat of the wood, straightening of the fork and cloning out of the spots. My only crit would be is the fork dirty or very worn on the tines?. Also might try treating the blemishes on the handle.

But welcomre back on board the roller coaster:plus1:

Thankyou Alan, you really do have a keen eye for detail, the straightening of the fork was more a perspective adjsutment, as the horizontal lines were level, but the fork was a touch off perpendicular to them.

The fork is very old, (not dirty..), I did start to clone over the marks, but when the cloning stands out more than the natural version... it's time to stop and go back to the more honest version.

And may the theme gods be kind to us this year!!!

Thankyou Alan, you really do have a keen eye for detail, the straightening of the fork was more a perspective adjsutment, as the horizontal lines were level, but the fork was a touch off perpendicular to them.

The fork is very old, (not dirty..), I did start to clone over the marks, but when the cloning stands out more than the natural version... it's time to stop and go back to the more honest version.

And may the theme gods be kind to us this year!!!

Well we old folks here have old forks too.(y)

Graham, that's bang on for me. Really like the sleek line in the shadow. Well exposed and composed. Crit, well, the fork looks a tad soft/OOF. I'd like the lower right shadow to be the same darkness as the upper left shadow.

Good show.

Cheers.

Hello and welcome I look forward to following your progress, great start to the challenge.

Thanks mandy..

Crit, well, the fork looks a tad soft/OOF. I'd like the lower right shadow to be the same darkness as the upper left shadow.

Cheers Andy - possibly a tad soft, or possibly more that the focus point is in the middle of the fork (where there's no detail :facepalm:), so the top and bottom might be just falling out of the DOF.

But the sun only comes through that window for a short time each day, I took it as a sign from above to get back in here! I've already got a shot January's POTY in too.

Some nice lines there - love the shadow that the fork makes

Thanks Sarah - It was actually some crumbs on the worktop that caught my eye with their shadows, but the fork works better!

Last edited:
Hi
welcome back
loving shadows in this
nice to see someone else spending time in kitchen :)

So you couldn't resist :D Excellent Graham :clap: ........ I think I might prefer the colour in the sooc image :)

Last edited:
Hey Graham, glad to see you back for another year of fun! It gets too difficult to stay away :bonk:

Have you spent too long around The Blakester and his forks? You've done a great job with the editing, I like the comparison with the SOOC links. Andy has picked up most points, my only crit is the base of the fork handle where it looks a bit blown in the highlights.

Cheers and good luck for this year.

Thanks everyone.... you do often hear it said, that "it's all about the light....", I'm starting to understand where they're coming from...

There are blown highlights, direct sun on a shiny surface, made worse by the contrast increase.. I've said before I like HDR techniques to bring detail to shadows and highlights, but there are times when you can get away with pure white and pure black.

And this was pretty much a "grab shot", as the sun doesn't come through that window for very long...

Glad the SOOC image has proved interesting / useful - by no means do I get it right "in-camera", there are a lot of things I have been able to hide in processing, so I'm baring my soul a bit here, play nice. :)

Onto week 2.... :banana:

and another lamb back to the slaughter for year 2.....what is it about this challenge ???

Like your idea of showing the SOOc version....think that's an idea I may well borrow as it helps people see what can be achieved , rather than looking at an image thinking how fab it is , I can't get shots like that , when a lot of the time it's down to use of pp....

anyway , enough waffling !

Like the desat , the placement & cracking shadows......softness has been mentioned but thats my only crit (y)

I like the simplicity together with the detail - I know that does not make sense!
Initially it looks simple and clean with bold lines but as you carry on looking you start to see the real shapes. - probably still does not make sense :)

Hi Graham, good to see you back and a really nice start too all crit has already been said (y)

Cheers guys, hopefully the SOOC images will encourage me to get closer in camera, but on weeks where I do process a fair bit it will show where I started.

Took this this morning, been umming and ahhing about it for a bit...

Week 2 - Play

Week 2 - SOOC

Last edited:
Hi Graham, Great shot, love the lighting and composition. Can't find anything to criticise :)

Cheers guys - lighting wise.... was in a dark room, with just a single LED head-torch, which I shone through a small paper cone to give me a confined source 10mm or so across, a few seconds exposure and played the light around to highlight the "Play" button.

Spent a while tidying dust spots up, even though I cleaned the remote beforehand.

Excellent Graham :clap: it really does look a very clean, sharp image.

Thanks for the lighting tip, that's certainly one I'm making a note of :)

Hi Graham, works for me love the lighting on it, good tip too, really well placed in the frame too(y)

Spent a while tidying dust spots up, even though I cleaned the remote beforehand.

I keep trying to remember to do this too - the amount of housework I do in PP :eek:

Nicely lit and composed - fits the theme (y)

Back