weekly rpn's 2016 Project 52 - Week 52 CELEBRATE Added (Complete)

rpn

Name
Stan
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
It is the interior of St Machar Cathedral in Old Aberdeen. The building took 600 years to complete and started in the 1130s. More about the building Here

Photographic wise it's a merged 3 images HDR and then tone mapped using Photomatix Pro from a single RAW image.

Week 0 - Old

Week 0 Old 13547 by Stan, on Flickr

That's a great start Stan. Fabulous details, and the muted colours really work well. You've managed to eliminate any distortion too. :D(y):banana:

Reactions: rpn
You've captured really nice detail Stan, and this together with the skilled processing makes for a great image. I love the lighting on the pillars as they darken to the distance, as well as the detail and colours on the crests in the roof. And the windows along the top on either side...very nicely processed.

Really well taken shot(s) there Stan.
And excellent use of HDR to light the whole image.
The perspective works really nicely and excellent symmetry around the lead-in lines to the windows at the chancel.

Great detail Stan, I love the old buildings and images of (y)

Hi, lovely old church, great symmetry and you have used HDR really well, not at all overcooked

You've captured really nice detail Stan, and this together with the skilled processing makes for a great image. I love the lighting on the pillars as they darken to the distance, as well as the detail and colours on the crests in the roof. And the windows along the top on either side...very nicely processed.

Really well taken shot(s) there Stan.
And excellent use of HDR to light the whole image.
The perspective works really nicely and excellent symmetry around the lead-in lines to the windows at the chancel.

Thanks David and Tim. Permissions were asked beforehand to take photographs and the use of tripod. So I was able to take my time to set up the camera dead on centre and level.

Hi, lovely old church, great symmetry and you have used HDR really well, not at all overcooked

Thanks Allan. I know HDR is a technique that divides people and hence the reason I used 3 images with only 1 stop different between them to minimise that 'bland' HDR look.

Hi. Love the colours and the detail. Dont have a clue about HDR etc!:confused:

A lovely image from the gravestone on the floor to the altar at the front. Nice colours.

Decent HDR there, wonderful building, nice detail. It would look great as a black-and-white. The symmetry is ever so slightly off, welcome back..

cheers

Decent HDR there, wonderful building, nice detail. It would look great as a black-and-white. The symmetry is ever so slightly off, welcome back..

cheers

Cheers Andy, I know what you mean about the slightly off symmetry but I've checked the windows are vertical and the roof panels are level I think the camera is not quite 100% dead on centre.

Aw Stan - I haven't read all the comments already made so forgive any repetition but that is one amazing image. Colourful but I do love that perspective and detailing. Excellent :clap:

Beautiful picture love the ceiling draws you into the picture very impressive :plus1:

Cracking start Stan :clap:
Nicely rendered HDR which has made it really pop but not made it look too OTT. You've done well on the distortion and symmetry for such a wide angle shot.

Aw Stan - I haven't read all the comments already made so forgive any repetition but that is one amazing image. Colourful but I do love that perspective and detailing. Excellent :clap:

Thanks Carl.

Beautiful picture love the ceiling draws you into the picture very impressive :plus1:

Cheers Michael, I was also impressed by the ceiling when I walked into the church and hence I tried a low viewpoint to capture as much of the ceiling as possible.

Cracking start Stan :clap:
Nicely rendered HDR which has made it really pop but not made it look too OTT. You've done well on the distortion and symmetry for such a wide angle shot.

Thanks Lee, pleased you like the shot.

Nice abstract for the theme Stan - lots of gears and levers to keep the eye roving. Hmmm! Doesn't look terribly old and not a lot of evidence of oil/grease which suggests it operates in a fairly clean environment - screws appear to be fairly chunky though - hmmm , office machinery perhaps ... an old typewriter?

Last edited:
Nice abstract for the theme Stan - lots of gears and levers to keep the eye roving. Hmmm! Doesn't look terribly old and not a lot of evidence of oil/grease which suggests it operates in a fairly clean environment - screws appear to be fairly chunky though - hmmm , office machinery perhaps ... an old typewriter?

Thanks Carl, I think it's old enough first introduced in 1978 but you are correct about the clean environment and it's not a typewriter.

Back